So the guy who wrote Love Story died the other day. RIP Erich Segal. You made me bawl my eyes out and set me on the quest for my very own Preppy (whatup PetePie!) hopefully our love story will end up a bit happier.
Anyway, it got me thinking about the movie. For a couple of reasons.
1. Ali MacGraw: Her style? Complete perfection. In fact, I may go rewatch Love Story right now and screen cap her outfits so that I can recreate each of them and throw out the rest of my closet. Seriously. Timeless. I hope legs the width of twigs aren’t necessary to rock the outfits with the same success. At least I have the bushy brows for the look.
2. “Love means never having to say you are sorry”: One of the most famous lines in movie history. Complete and utter bullshit. Have you ever been in love? It means saying you are sorry constantly. Methinks this was a very hippydippy 60s sentiment and probably why so many in that generation are divorced.
3. The Music: The score of Love Story (by Henry Mancini of Moon River fame) sent me into apoplectic shock for several years after seeing the movie. “What do you say about a 25 year old girl who died. That she was beautiful and brilliant. That she loved Mozart, Bach, The Beatles. And me”. I completely fall apart. Once, I was in this really randar Italian restaurant which was playing what I can only assume was the 100 all time movie themes, and it came on, and I honestly wept. I am a little bit emotional.
4. Did you know that there was a sequel? Called Oliver’s Story? Where Oliver falls in love again, this time with Candice Bergen? I think it’s safe to say Erich Segal will not be remembered for that mess.
5. Ryan O’Neal. Where do I begin. Could there ever be a greater letdown between the fantasy and the reality? Beautiful, rugged, preppy, almost ginge, who will love you forever (or at least until he meets Candice Bergen), and rocks the camel hair coat like no other.
Who in real life is a complete crackhead.
I cannot even describe the deep deep dissapointment I felt when I learned the truth about Oliver Barrett III. I loved his name and his numeral. Preppy. I loved him more than LEO for chrissakes. Now? Well I will stick to…Chuck Bass maybe? Where have all the heartthrobs gone?
Have you all seen this movie? What did you think? Who is your movie Oliver?