Wedding Wednesday: Videography

Pete and I are having a videographer at our wedding, but Pete is very particular over what type of videography we have. He does not want there to be any sound recording, because he thinks that is “weird”. He would prefer it to just be set to music. And he wants it to look “old timey”. The proper term for this type of film is Super 8. But I refer to it as “Dawsons Creek Style”:

And Pete refers to it as “Wonder Years Style”:

No matter what you want to call it, I like it. And I REALLY like this company. They link you to local Super 8 filmmakers who will film your wedding, and then send your footage to this editing studio who sets it all to music. Go check out their work. Our faves are New York, Florida, and San Francisco.

We have already started dreaming up what songs we would have play ours…here is our playlist so far:

What song would you (did you) have play for your first dance at your wedding?

Comments

1. Shannan April 28, 2010 at 10:21 am

Awww, our first dance was to The Prayer by Andrea Bocelli and Celine Dion, but my cousin and I recorded a CD as favors, and we included The Luckiest on it (I sang and played the piano). Now I’m all verklempt. Luh-huh-huuuve Ray LaMontagne too. Sigh.
    Shannan

2. The Neo-Traditionalist April 28, 2010 at 11:23 am

Dawson Creek style, hahaha, you kill me. I love old Super 8 films. Yours will be amazing I’m sure especially if you set it to any of these songs—seriously some of the best! Can’t wait to see it! Isn’t wedding planning ridiculous and stressful yet somehow fun? xoxo katie

3. Britt Merritt April 28, 2010 at 11:24 am

I am now obsessed with watching Paper Tape videos! I love it. This is also a great video company that is based out of New Orleans.

4. Connie @ Sogni e Sorrisi April 28, 2010 at 11:46 am

I was very wary of having a videographer at first because so many videos are cheesy, but I was so, so happy with the one we chose. There is hardly any real voices, great music and editing (if I do say so myself!) and I love, love, love it!

Our first song was “We Are Man and Wife” by Michelle Featherstone and our last song was “Per Me Per Sempre” by Eros Ramazzotti. The words of both were just perfect, I thought and we didn’t really have a “song.” We walked into “Seven Nation Army” by the White Stripes.

5. Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself April 28, 2010 at 12:01 pm

My sister recently showed me these and they are so beautiful. I just wish they made them a little longer given the price point! Great song choices! I’d never heard “Heartbeats” before but I just listened to it about 5 times… hah

6. ashley April 28, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Love your choices! I would dance to “Home”. Love, love, love that song! I know it’s not the traditional slow dance tune but I hated being the center of attention during our first dance. We couldn’t decide on a song so last minute we picked Bob Marley’s “3 Little Birds” in hopes that no one would suspect a first dance was going on. Of course they did anyway and I nervously giggled through the whole thing. (Backstory: B used to wake me up singing that in the mornings.)
    I didn’t use a videographer and I really regret it. At the time, I didn’t think I would ever watch it, much less share it with anyone. I hate how I look on camera! But I did take the videographer budget my parents had set aside and used it for a milkshake bar at the reception instead. That was a huge hit! Especially during a blazing hot August wedding in Alabama.

7. Kimberly April 28, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Our song is actually “You are the best thing” by Ray LaMontagne! I LOVE him and that song has reminded me of my fiance ever since I first heard it (my fiance actually gave me the cd when it first came out)!

8. Jennifer April 28, 2010 at 1:08 pm

normally I don’t comment on blogs, but I had to when I saw that my first dance song was in the running to be yours! my husband and I danced to “You are the Best Thing” by Ray LaMontagne, and it was perfect!!!

9. KC April 28, 2010 at 2:40 pm

My wife and I are going to dance to “I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won’t Do That)” by Meatloaf.

Dang, maybe that’s why I am single.

10. Hamptontoes April 28, 2010 at 3:14 pm

An Elvis Presley love song!

11. Design Darling April 28, 2010 at 3:18 pm

bailey, did you see the videographer featured on style me pretty yesterday? it’s not dawson’s creek style but it made me cry it was so stinking cute.

12. PrincessofGinovia April 28, 2010 at 5:22 pm

You can’t go wrong with Montagne and Devendra! Iron and Wine’s Flightless Bird American Mouth is the most beautiful song ever, i highly recommend that!

13. ashlina April 28, 2010 at 6:26 pm

hands down RAY LAMONTAGNE. i am obsessed with his music….sigh

ps. i am loving these recent posts girlfriend.

14. Lisa April 29, 2010 at 8:09 am

I would also go for Ray LaMontagne! Didn’t know him (don’t you judge me), but I’ll be downloading his music after that youtube vid!!

15. KP April 29, 2010 at 11:01 am

I thought about y’all last night while watching 9 by design (if you don’t watch it, you should!)… they (and by they, I mean the show) did a little old-timey-ish video montage of their baby’s Christening party!

love ya!
    kpizzle

16. Jill P April 29, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I would do ‘Lovin’ in my baby’s eyes’ by Taj Mahal. Sweetest song!

17. maddie May 6, 2010 at 12:16 am

how do you feel about Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love by Coldplay? it was used by the Academy Awards (I think) last year for a Romance montage…prob why it reminds me of weddings and all that nonsense, but me likey.

18. Deborah May 6, 2010 at 5:56 pm

this post made me want to get married all over again!! I cried watching the link “design darling” posted of the cinema by elysium. Our first dance was “Love is Lifting me Higher” by Jackie Wilson-really upbeat and fun. I am in the middle of giving our videographer songs- and this post has some great suggestions – I am totally going to use “You are the best thing”!! I also love “Wild Flowers” By Tom Petty, “Everything” by John Mayer, “Into the Mystic” by Van Morrison. you are too cute!

19. Brittany May 7, 2010 at 4:26 am

‘Home’ by edward sharpe made me realize how in love i am.

20. Brittany May 7, 2010 at 4:29 am

I just put ‘Home’ on and I might start having happy tears while I work an over-night shift at work.

It is finals and I go to Texas State, you should know where that is :D

Keep up your blog, I really enjoy reading it

21. Brittany May 7, 2010 at 4:57 am

you might also like this song.

I have 3.5 hours left in my shift, we might just feel like bff when it is over.

22. Brittany May 7, 2010 at 6:08 am