Don’t be mad at him when it’s on to the next one…

I think I have a sickness. Now that Clifford is finally winding down, and TruffleBerry Market is pretty much complete, ALL I can think about is my next project. Which would surely be the sign of a dedicated and driven decorator/visionary, unless you knew how stressed I have been the last month (or you saw my stress-acne’d face) in which case you might gently suggest I take a nap instead. Either way, I can’t help it. My mind is already off fantasizing about building another house- preferably for someone else this time, hire me!- and I already have a plan.
In my next dream project I am going to build a house around this island. Well really the kitchen, and then the rest of the house will take shape from there.

Isn’t it gorgeous? It is from an old bakery in France, and I saw it when Brittany (TruffleBerry client) and I went shopping in her neck of the woods.

It is from an antique store called Old Plank Road, and you would never guess from the outside how many teasures await you inside.

But I am not just telling you about our local hole in the wall treasure trove to torture you, because Old Plank Road is on 1st Dibs! And although the prices of most items listed probably leave it squarely in the realm of fantasy for most of us- I still enjoy browsing through and imagining how I would use some of their more impressive pieces to build a whole home around.

But in a legit inspiring way, not like those ridiculous commercials where the couple takes a stupid Kohler faucet to an architect and says, “build around this”. I have met a lot of architects in my days, and I would guess that most people in a group known largely for their arrogance would not nod and say, “yes ma’am, I have always dreamed of designing a masterpiece around a mediocre piece of plumbing. thank you for the opportunity”. Antique replica of the Eiffel TowerAntique Dutch DollHousePete would love to have this for his barPretty cool, huh?

I remember being younger and having to run errands with my Mom and it was always a dreaded day when “Antiques” was on the list. I knew it would be hours of me sitting on some uncomfy chair staring at some creepy doll while my mom hunted for buried treasure.

In the end I love whatever she did with those antiques, because they blend seemlessly into our home without it having a museum feel.

It is all very kid friendly, she would never buy a chair that was too precious to sit on, and that mentality has been passed on to me in my decorating.

I always feel uncomfortable in those homes where the antiques are there for The Pretty, not for the touching. And I feel sometimes like “antique” has become a dirty word in our super casual generation.

What do you think? If money weren’t the issue, would you use antiques in your decorating? Would they be there mostly as art or should it function day to day to earn it’s spot in the home? Or is you style just more modern and you have no interest in antiques other than for kindling in the winter? I liked our last discussion. Talk to me.

Comments

1. Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy July 15, 2010 at 10:44 am

I love antiques! And, I do have some in my house, but only if I can get them at a good price because, wow, can they be expensive! I think antiques should be functional, unless they are art, of course. An antique chair should be sat on, an antique dresser should have items placed on and in it. And I like a mix of antiques and modern. I think if the whole house is full of antiques, it just ends up looking “old”. Great post!

2. Cat July 15, 2010 at 11:42 am

Love antiques. Roundtop. Sunflower hat. Whining to Mom that I was completely over this whole scene. Now, totally grateful and appreciative for the culture.

3. Catherine July 15, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I like it when people use a mix of new and old, but it’s a bit intimidating for the not particularly design savvy, like me. I love the kitchen island you picked out, and the piece that looks sort of like a card catalog.

In a HB a few months back, one of the designers talked about how she would be convicted of design treason or something for admitting this, but she didn’t like antiques. She was frustrated by beautiful pieces where the drawers would get stuck, etc. She said she always tried to get new pieces that were made to look old. I imagine that’s a little sacrilegious in the design world, but I appreciated her honesty and practicality.

I also don’t like it when people freak out about painting “antique” pieces. Just because it’s made of wood doesn’t mean it’s attractive. (If it is attractive and in good shape, that’s another thing entirely.) People are always flipping out about that with before and afters on blogs.

4. Danavee July 15, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I’m a fanatic. For all things vintage and antique. My sofa is from the 1940’s, with Eastlake-esque carvings on the front. My guest room bed is an old wrought iron number from my grandma. I have a display case from an old general store in my dining room for a buffet. Old mirrors. Old lamps. Old, old, old. Love.

5. my favorite and my best July 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm

word.
    i wish for you a super fancy rich client that wants that rolly island as much as you do.

6. Sarah July 24, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Bailey– I absolutely love your blog!!! This is my first post on here!

Growing up with parents who were big antique collectors and now working in the art and antique business, I LOVE incorporating functional/beautiful antique furniture and accessories into my decorating. I am always following auctions and have my eye out for particular pieces that I find interesting. Lately some loves have been mercury lamps, florentine painted furniture and accessories(not always antique…), blanc de chine and cloisonne vase, and many more.

7. Beth August 25, 2010 at 3:57 pm

what are your thoughts on re-vamping antiques? Like painting and covering an old chair or table? It may make it look cooler but then won’t it lose it’s value?