Sadie, Sadie HONGRAY lady

Firstly Johnson, The Zhush is featuring my Fabulous Fall Finds today and you should go over and check them out, Fall is my favorite season and as a recent fall bride I pretty much consider myself an Autumn Expert and you all should too.

It’s been awhile since I did any posts on the Chicago dining scene. Mostly because of the pre-wedding diet and a general lack of eating that caused.

Let’s just say that my post-wedding-diet? Not going great. I have fallen victim to some bad influences. Places like:

Floriole

I really did not need another delicious bakery in such close proximity to my house. Sweet Mandy B’s was dangerous threat enough, so when Floriole opened just down the street one month before we moved in to Clifford, The Big Red House I KNEW it was the FATs out to get me. Started by a Chicago baker who had gathered a huge following at her bi-weekly farmers market stand, Floriole is a delicious, adorable french bakery/coffee shop serving a few fresh made sammies, croissants, pastries, MACAROONS, and other tasty morsels. They also sell wine and have free wi-fi, which is nice. You can find me there pretty much daily.

DMK

Burger bar. Will blow your mind all over your face. Truffle fries, sweet potato fries, fried pickles…all of this is delicious. But order yourself a #11 Burger if you really want your belly rocked. Lamb burger with feta, olive tapenade, greek salad, tzatziki. Opa! Pete likes some double decker situation I can’t even look in the eyeball, and we both enjoy the selection of ice cold beerz.

Del Seoul

Pete took me here for dinner last night, and my mind is still blown. It is a super casual, super cheap, korean taco bar and I shit you not when I say it was the best dumpling that has ever graced my lips. Like a cloud of pork heaven. Apparently the recipe has been passed down over 100 years, and I can say they are a billion years of delicious. Pete and I got 8 tacos (two of each: pork, steak, chicken, shrimps), pork belly fries, and 8 dumplings for $30 bones. And people say I am not frugal. Surely you jest. Next time we go, which I predict will be very soon, this meat sandwich and I will stop flirting and become full-on lovers.Don’t even try and stop me.

So here is my question for you, dear readers.

I have people email me quite often asking for Chicago travel tips, and I am toying with the idea of incorporating a button in the left column over there that will link to my Chicago dining and city guide. I am pretty much going to talk about food/eating no matter what you say because I love it and since I can’t eat it all the time sometimes it helps just to remember the food and talk about it and relive each joyful bite. So don’t tell me not to talk about food because I will virtually give you the stinkeye. The kind of feedback I would find very useful is as such:

How many of you reading are from Chicago? Would this [a compiled dining/city guide] be something you would enjoy? Do y’all have any favorite restaurants that you would like to be able to share?

Comments

1. my favorite and my best- MFAMB to you October 27, 2010 at 7:31 am

as you know i am not from the chicago but i was born in burlington iowa and my parents are from davenport. where i spent many a day in my youth.
    so i believe we are sisters. this has nothing to do with your post. other than the fact that i love to eat as much as you, i love to decorate as much as you, and i think you should have a city/travel guide button on your blog.

2. ASB October 27, 2010 at 9:26 am

1. i am reading from chicago. 2.i love to eat. 3.and have soooo many restaurant recommendations that i would be happy to share. Conclusion. definitely add a button, and let me know if you need any help :)

3. Melanie October 27, 2010 at 10:25 am

Yes, yes, yes…would love Chicago food reports! I lived there for 9 years, and I miss it so much! I was just drooling after reading this post. Del Seoul sounds ridic

4. justagirlLaura October 27, 2010 at 10:29 am

I live in Chicago and would LOVE an awesome Bailey-approved food guide. Yes, please!

5. Taylor October 27, 2010 at 10:42 am

I live in Chicago and LOVE to read about people’s favorite restaurants. So in love with your blog. Next time you are at DMK, definitely try an order of their macaroni and cheese – it is incredible! I can’t wait to try Del Seoul it looks great.

6. Erin October 27, 2010 at 10:43 am

Yes. Yes. Yes. The more food the better, as a South Loop-er I try and get out of my neck of the woods to explore as many tasty concoctions as possible. I am drooling over those fries/burgers right now.

7. Jordan October 27, 2010 at 11:30 am

I LOVE this idea! I don’t live in Chicago (I’m actually from Houston, but currently live in NYC) but I do visit frequently because some college friends work there & we would love to know the newest places to go when I am there!

8. Maca Martinez October 27, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Gosh… Why am I so hungry??? It’s going to be a terrible day for sticking to the diet. I live in Mexico City most of the year, but always go to my country, Argentina, for holidays. I will appreciate your posts about Chicago’s Bistro Trends. It doesn’t matter if I don’t live there… just look at those recipies…
    So that’s it. I’m heading to an argentinian steack house right now! I need a fine ASADO(BBQ). Bye! XoXo

9. Karen October 27, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Hi Bailey!

I discovered your blog as a faithful MODG reader and I’m happy to report I now enjoy your blog as well. I think a Chicago food guide would be awesome. I was there over the summer the day Sprinkles opened, and well I really took it as a sign from above that this was fate. I was also at Rockit Bar and Grill. Had I not done some online research and talked to the locals I would not have known to give the Rockit burger a whirl! Given your fabulous taste overall, I think you would be a great advisor on such an important topic!

10. Bre October 27, 2010 at 1:10 pm

you had me at “like a cloud of pork heaven”

…and my work takes me from LA to Chicago every so often… would love to hear more on the food scene! I ate at Sunda the last time I was there and found it super yummy but disappointingly pretentious. The $500 bill for four of us hurt my feelings.

11. Diane October 27, 2010 at 1:58 pm

LOVE DMK and floriole is on the list of spots to visit asap! i’d definitely like to see a food/drink guide from you, my dear!

12. betsy October 27, 2010 at 2:27 pm

mmmmm Yum. I lived in the city for 10 years now I am a mom and suburban. I do not drive a mini van! LOL.
    I love hearing about chicago resturants b/c we do head down to the city quite often. You have to try xoco if you haven’t yet! You would also love milk and honey in bucktown if you haven’t been there either.

13. Aubre October 27, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I LOVE that you love food. And who would EVER complain about you blogging about it!? Someone dead inside that’s who. Please do a city guide. My best friend from college moved to Chicago and I have yet to save the money needed to go visit her and eat in alllllll these places.

14. C October 27, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Do it! i love in chicago and would love it. Just started reading your blog and i die over how much i love it. you make me laugh so hard. your commentary on your engagement photos of you 2 eating literally laughing out loud at my desk at work. like hard. embarrassing.

15. Beth October 27, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Not from Chicago and never been but not only do I desperately want to go I want to move there so badly…find my BF a job and I’ll really love the dining and other chi-town tips!

16. The Zhush October 27, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Hi Bailey! Thanks so much for your adoraballs post today. One day I will visit Chicago…and before I do, I will hit up your hopefully-soon-to-be foodie button for all the great must stop and see spots for NY foodies like me! And, I would even welcome tips on other places you have been, like the Hamptons! :)
    xx
    Sue

17. Maggie October 28, 2010 at 2:05 am

I miss Chicago. I moved to Ohio two months ago. I’d definitely love a Chicago food guide so I can wow my friends with yummy finds on my visits home. ;)

Can I add one? Frontera. It’s one of Rick Bayless’ (Top Chef Master!) restaurants, and my pals and I went there for my farewell feast. YUM! The only thing I wasn’t thrilled about was that they don’t have a full bar- just beers and tequila. Which is great, but didn’t help me get my strawberry daquiri. But beware, it is POPULAR. We had to make our reservations almost a month in advance and we went on a Tuesday night.

18. SheilaC October 28, 2010 at 9:58 am

Yes, yes and more YES. I totally geek out over Chicago dining posts. More please! :)

19. Cathy October 28, 2010 at 10:15 am

Yes please! I moved to Chicago a year ago and am still discovering all of great restaurants. We live walking distance from DMK and still haven’t been. So it looks like we’ll be taking a trip there soon. And I would add Socca in Lakeview to the list.

20. Lia October 28, 2010 at 10:48 am

i’m from chicago ! and i would love to see more chicago dining posts – these are great :)

21. carak November 23, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I’m a little late to the convo and new to the blog. But I want to see a button. We moved from Chicago to St. Louis last year and we miss it. Mostly the food (seriously). It’s making my mouth water (and reminding me how much I miss the city) just reading this!

22. Hellolover November 17, 2011 at 1:08 am

Every time I read through old pages of your blog I’m so sad I didn’t find you last year. These are some of my absolute favorites! Did you ever have the B.A.D sandwich at floriole? Bacon, Arugula, & Dates (and they put goat cheese on it!). I go once weekly for this sandwich alone, and for sweet mandy b’s – their red velvet cupcake is hands down the best around.