Before&After: Master Bed and Bath

Ahh we are almost finished with these! Today we have the before and after of our master bedroom and bath-which was surprisingly the most controversial part of spread and I will explain all.

When we bought the house the space we now use as the master bedroom was like a second living room thing? I don’t know the whole thing was very topsy turvy.

If you followed along on the blog during the design process you know that our master bed gave me the most trouble. But once I calmed down and just went with it, it came together SO well. We just love it. It is so pure, cozy, warm but also bright and happy. The painting above the bed is by the same artist who did the monkey painting in the kitchen. The kitchen painting is on a 5 year loan as a wedding gift from my Godfather, the one above our bed was my moms and had been hidden in a corner forever because she was too embarrassed to hang it where people could see it. No problem for this guy! I be shameless.

Opposite the bed sits my vanity and our TV…

The situation around the TV isn’t totally perfect, but I couldn’t stand just looking at that big honking black hole in the midst of the luscious green wall and it works for now… I LOVE my vanity though. Everything on it is a hand me down from my momma and grandparents, except for the lamp which was a vintage find that I am obsessed with. I might have to give her to our baby girl one of these days, but for now that sucker is mine all mine.

For a little perspective…

There is a little ante room before our bedroom, which is to the left there, and on the right is my pink heavenly closet.This was taken by me obviously-pre photoshoot styling but I wanted to show you the amazing window treatments…Love.

Alaina did a pretty fab post with closet pics and I dont really feel like rehashing that all, so go there to check that out but I did think you guys should know that of course Britney lives in my closet to set me out on the right foot every day.

Now the bathroom. I mean, I get that I am quirky I guess and that things that seem obvious to me might read bizarre to others but I did NOT expect the picture on our window to cause such a stir. But since it did, here’s the deal.

If you can’t tell by looking at the pic, the view from the window is a brick wall. Specifically the brick wall of our neighbors house which is about 3 feet away from us. What you cannot see and what is brilliantly strategically blocked by the painting is a window into their family room. Since it lines up with the center of our window we couldn’t just do some sort of half window treatment. The painting allows us to keep the window open and get some natural light, but blocks their view. And it makes me laugh, it is like that stern gentleman is inspecting my naked bod every day and is all judgemental like, “Now tell me, what do you plan to achieve today?”

Even if that touch isn’t your cup of tea, I think the rest of the bathroom is still lovely. Pete is especially proud of the shower “he” designed.

Tomorrow we have another Baby Bliss post, and then Thursday I will finish up the rest of the house! I think I have been pretty good about answering questions, but if I haven’t answered yours yet remind me.

And as always, thanks for all the virtual kisses. I like you all very much.

OH! And also, all of the pretty pictures are the lovely and talented Emily Anderson! The ones with the crappy lighting are me.

Comments

1. Chedva April 5, 2011 at 7:28 am

Actually, your bedroom and bathroom were my favorite! I absolutely love the paintings- can you share the artist’s name, pretty please?;) And the drapery situation on your bed is heavenly.

2. Queen Mahin April 5, 2011 at 7:43 am

Love, love, love the art. Smoking cat, Britney in the closet and stern gentleman in the bathroom. Inspired!

3. el {what you fancy} April 5, 2011 at 8:07 am

I really did fall in love with your home after reading about it in Rue… so much so, it’s my latest post – hope you like it :) Btw – where did you get your mongrammed sheets from??
    ~el

4. jody April 5, 2011 at 8:13 am

Love everything! Can you tell me where your bed linens are from?

5. Elizabeth April 5, 2011 at 8:18 am

So lovely, especially considering the funky living room situation you started out with! I’m now convinced I need a Britney portrait in my own closet.

6. ms. bright April 5, 2011 at 8:36 am

Delicious. I just wanna know how you respond to the “stern looking gentleman”!!!

7. sigal April 5, 2011 at 8:39 am

First, you make me laugh. really. the way you describe your feelings puts a joy on my face, almost sounds like me talking…
    besides, i love your bedroom. just love it. and the painting hanging on your bathroom window is genius. simply genius. i would adapt that idea…only that my house is the tallest of all the others around me :D. and to have the whole “stir” around it – can’t get any better than this. beautiful post.

8. MFAMB April 5, 2011 at 8:47 am

i think anyone who doesn’t like or “get” the picture over the window has a decorating stick up their butt.

9. SaraSue April 5, 2011 at 9:02 am

I thought the art on the window was a wonderful idea. Very different and creative!! Your home is beautiful!

10. Christine April 5, 2011 at 9:13 am

You did a beautiful job Bailey, I love every little detail. Could you indulge more on your bed. Was everything custom? The “smoking pussy” cracks me up! Oh, and I think the picture over the window in the bathroom is brilliant!

11. Christine April 5, 2011 at 9:26 am

Oh, and where did you find that perfect little table in your bathroom? LOVE!

12. Cat April 5, 2011 at 11:08 am

I am obsessed with the Kitty Painting. I want one for my house. It is perfect for my name… and such. I also LOOOOOVVVEEE your closet. As for your Mister picture, I lurve. So freaking creative. Wondy-ful. As usual, well done.

13. A Casa da Vá April 5, 2011 at 11:15 am

I think your bed is beautiful, looks like a lush hotel! And I can’t believe that the bathroom’s frame generate so much polemic, I mean really it is ALL lovely, every bit of it! And I think you found a solution that not only works for you but also makes you laugh, what else could you ask for!

Hugs & kisses from Rio!

14. Natalie April 5, 2011 at 11:15 am

I actually have a question about the “kids’” bathroom adjacent to the nursery. Is there a name for that kind of curtain treatment you used for the shower (the valance-like one)? Thanks for sharing!

15. Kris10 April 5, 2011 at 11:47 am

Ah! I love the picture in your bathroom!!! It is a perfect fit with the wallpaper. In a double take quirky sort of way (which I love)…Love, love, love!

16. Rachel April 5, 2011 at 11:59 am

Pete’s shower is gorgeous–especially the tile work. But the portrait on the window is the piece de resistance. You have managed to gracefully and thoughtfully appoint a gorgeous adult home without losing your saucy, whimsical identities. This is pretty much my main goal in every styling choice I make, but admittedly I don’t succeed quite at this level. Count me as totally inspired.

Also, when I commission you to design my lawerly lair one day, can I maybe have a portrait of Justice Holmes hanging in my dressing room?

17. pure.ruth April 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm

pure, cozy, warm – couldn’t have said it better myself! LOVE those cakes above the tv – are those from the famous artist in marfa?

also – love your jewelry rack in the closet. i have it, too. gotta love urbn!

18. Mandy of Kini Style April 5, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Bailey you are so awesome! I love that your house is completely your own style and not trying to fit into a certain category. It’s fabulous. I’m actually digging that picture in the bathroom…a little quirky but so unexpected! And your closet!? Obsessed! Glad to see Brittany is nearby.

xoxo
    Mandy

19. Julie @ Chapman Inte April 5, 2011 at 1:03 pm

The cat painting and the man in the bath are my FAVE. SO good. And I totally thought the same thing about the man painting, he’s inspecting also while blocking view. Duh. Two birds, one stone. Absolute success.

20. Kaitlyn G April 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I am in love with the wallpaper in the bathroom. I think its so adorable! And personally I think the painting in a fun and whimsical way to cover the window. Oh, and of course I think your closet is every girls dream come true.

21. Ellen April 5, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I’m not one to normally comment, but I absolutely loved the painting in the bathroom. What an ingenious solution!

22. Jenn April 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I totally got the painting in the bathroom. It IS a brilliant solution!

23. Emily V. April 5, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Your bedroom is gorgeous! I just started reading your blog after I saw your place on Rue and I am hooked!

24. Chedva April 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Thanks, Bailey. Googling frantically officially starts NOW.

25. Koren April 5, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Where did you find your gold hangers? I need them! Do you remember where online you bought them? (I think you said they were a result of a google search…)

26. Ashley April 5, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I hope we get to see more shots from your “circus” room. Loved the navy sofa!

27. designstiles April 6, 2011 at 1:50 am

I thought the art over the window was genius. To kinda quote Will Smith, {Parents} People just don’t understand.

28. Christina April 6, 2011 at 8:29 am

Quite the impressive before and after!

Christina
    ps – check out my Cory Renee Clutch Giveaway!

29. Jennifer April 6, 2011 at 9:10 am

Love love love the bedroom and especially the closet. Who did your closet system? I am in Chicago too and looking to redo my closets. Many thanks!!!

30. courtney blackburn April 6, 2011 at 10:02 am

1. i could not be more obsessed with your bedroom. i want it.
    2. FRAMED BRITNEY IN YOUR CLOSET?!?!?!?! i dont feel i need to even explain how obsessed i am with this.

31. Sarah April 6, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Oh wow… its all so gorgeous. I loved the Rue piece too. You’ve done a fabulous job with every detail.

32. kristin April 7, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Your closet is what closet dreams are made of! I’m super jelly :). Two random questions…Where did you get the ridiculously amazing beehive in your closet (pictured in Rue)? Also, the curtains/custom upholstery throughout your house is gorgeous – can you recommend a good workroom in Chicago? Thanks! xx

33. The enchanted home April 16, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Wow oh wow! I am so glad I happened by chance to see this link to you on Chic coles! I am in love with your makeover!! Love your taste…we are destined to be freinds and have simliar taste! Did Leontine linens do your gorgeous bedding and I must know whose gorgeous paper that is in your bathroom! Its not a like its a LOVE!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing..its all sooooo beautiful. I will be back and now am your latest subscriber. Please visit me too at my 3 month old blog about the building of our new home and my love for decor and design!

34. Teri April 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Our master bath has the same window with the same view as yours does. I have the most horrid curtains over it, and when I saw your picture I immediately put “large painting” on my bathroom shopping list. I think it is a brilliant idea to an all too common problem.

35. Teri April 25, 2011 at 10:41 pm

(I forgot:) If the “Smoking Pussy” painting was available for sale, I am pretty sure there’d be a bidding war for it. I desperately need it!

36. Christine February 5, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Absolutely love your shower doors, I live in London so I think your builder is too far away to use. Is it possible to contact him so i find out about the doors and see if I can find somebody to make them for me in uk…thank you love love love your home

37. Shelby February 13, 2013 at 10:51 pm

What is the wallpaper/shower curtain fabric in the bathroom??

38. Sue April 6, 2013 at 2:08 am

I love the wallpaper in the bathroom!! Where did you buy it? Thanks!

39. Melinda June 6, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Are you kidding me with your style?? Thank you apttherapy for showing it to me!

40. Caitlin June 6, 2013 at 3:15 pm

How did you hang the painting over the window in the bathroom? I’ve been wanting to do this exact thing with a mirror in mine, but I have no idea how to hang it!