Not in labor…

…Just lazy/late today and couldn’t really think of anything to post.

Sorries.

I did, however, see a post on Mrs. Meares’ blog last week that disturbed me and I felt I should comment on the situation.
Apparently dip-dyed hair has become a trend.
Even Lauren Conrad, someone I consider to be very beauty and well-groomed and style iconish has been sporting the look. And I mean how tempting are these pictures, it looks pretty amazing.

However…
They also brought up some traumatic memories for me.
The highly important summer betwixt 8th Grade and my Freshman year in Highschool I made two really poor decisions. One was to get braces. The other was to dye the tips of my long, thick, blackbrown hair pink. I had seen a girl on Road Rules do it, or maybe it was Gwen Stefani, and thought, “yes, that is the look for me”.
First I had to prepare my dark brown hair to receive the dye. That involved bleaching it to the shade and texture of straw. Just the bottom 3 inches.

Throwing myself into flaming red hot humiliation for your enjoyment. Mind you, this was more of a “before” picture, it got a whole lot better once the pink was involved. It also appears from this picture that I lived in West Virginia. That was not the case, I got my brilliant stroke of hair genius on a summer trip to Alaska.

Next I applied the manic panic pink and waited for the magic to happen.
The result and overall affect was almost exactly like this.

Except not at all. It was much more like this:

Yes, that is Gwen Stefani.

I spent a great deal of time looking for more photographic evidence, to no avail, so you are just going to have to trust me on this one.
What I also failed to mention was that I would be starting at a new school for Highschool. A boarding school across the country. My mother was less than pleased with my new ‘do and made me either dye it back or cut it off before I left for school. I was nonplussed with the idea of parting with my long lucious locks, so I attempted to dye it back.
It turned orange. I tried again. Orangey brown. I thought, that looks phenomenal.
And off to my east coast booooaaarding school I went. Not only was the bottom 3 inches of my hair an indistinguishable orange mud color, but it was completely fried while the top of my hair was silky and virginal. The resulting shape was very much similar to a trapezoid.

I also was going through a chunky awkward phase and had braces.

ALSO I was attending a school without a uniform for the first time in my entire life. I remember when we got the packing list from the school, begging my mom to take me to Abercrombie and Fitch because I had zero clothes. I got a whole new A&F wardrobe and was fairly confident that my shiz was smellin’ pretty good. On the packing list it was specified that I would need a blazer and a long winter coat. Since Texas in August isn’t exactly known for its winter wardrobe shopping options, for those items we went to Burlington Coat Factory, which was every bit as elegant as it sounds and was an outlet store in a not great part of town.

I’m not going to get into it, but as you can imagine I made a real splash at my new school.

SO basically the point of this post is that dip dyed hair leads directly to A&F, braces, and humiliation.

You’ve been warned, Lauren Conrad. I would hate to see you follow down the same tragic path.

Comments

1. Kathleen July 22, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I think I have a few dip-dyed pictures of Maggie if you’re interested!!

2. Connie July 22, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Bailey you kill me, seriously. Hope you’re feeling OK and keeping as cool as possible.

3. Laura July 22, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I am sorry to be find pleasure in your struggle, but that story just made my morning. Freakin hilarious! If only we realized at the time that most people were going through an awkward/ chubby phase and we were not alone. God, I do not miss the braces/ acne/ amazing fashion sense of adolescence. Hope your weekend is filled with happy things and exciting baby anticipation!

4. Whitney July 22, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Shooooooot! I thought the cotton candy dip dye situation was hawt. I was convinced I needed to do it until my mom gave me the reality check that I’m 23 and about to begin a job search. I feel like such a tool.

As long as we are sharing humiliating stories I need to tell you that I shed tears of joy at the Britney concert last week. Pathetic.

5. Jennifer July 22, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Oh wow, shame spiral. That picture is awesome! Enjoy your last days of laziness!

6. Katelyn July 22, 2011 at 1:09 pm

HAD to comment. it was susie on road rules who dipped her hair in the pink paint. i vividly remember that episode. classic.

7. Julie July 22, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Bailey, I am literally laughing out loud at my cube at work. Thank GAWD my nearest cubemates haven’t returned from their lunch break yet or they would surely wonder what is so funny.

Thanks for the Friday laugh. (p.s. I had an at home hair dyeing experience go orange when I was 24, so there is really no excuse I can muster for that one).

8. Angela July 22, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I’m laughing out loud! Thanks for the Friday Funny. I attempted to add red highlights to my dark brown hair (in college) and instead my hair turned purple and people called me Barney! Great!

9. Britt Meritt July 22, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I have had a crappy day but that made me laugh, and out loud – thanks for that :)

10. Emma July 22, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I remember Freshman year…I remember all of us being pretty damned awkward. I vaguely remember you having mismatched hair but your super cushy bed and an obsession with Dawson’s Creek were far more memorable.
    Hope you are staying cool!

11. amalisa July 22, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I, too, dip dyed the ends of my hair. I chose a lovely shade of persimmon red and spent my junior year being called “Rooster.

12. amalisa July 22, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I, too, dip-dyed the ends of my hair. I chose a persimmon red and spent my junior year being called “Rooster.”

13. Jen July 22, 2011 at 8:50 pm

You are adorable. I just bought some hot pink shorts and I am now thinking they may go in the return pile. The things we think are trendy now are just stupid later. FYI did you see the house posted today on la dolce vita. I thought the lucite railings on the stairs look right up your alley.

14. Melissa July 22, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Funny how trends come back around!

15. Tiina July 23, 2011 at 12:39 am

Hahaha, that story just made my whole morning! (very early m

16. Tiina July 23, 2011 at 12:41 am

Haha, this just made my morning! (ver early morning, it’s 06 something on Saturday and I can’t sleep)

17. Grace July 23, 2011 at 4:01 am

You absolutely crack me up!! I think this trend has disaster written all over it – Lauren Conrad or not!

Hope you’re feeling well. Remembering my last couple of weeks and inability to get off the couch! Put your feet up, relax, and sleep as much as you can – I also know that’s much easier said than done at this point in time!

18. Kim July 23, 2011 at 9:00 am

if you are looking for post ideas… I’m going to chicago for the first time in 2 weekends and would love a top ten list of places to eat/things to do. pretty please….

i can also check in on clifford for you if you like

19. Allyson July 23, 2011 at 10:40 am

This is hilarious! I cannot stop laughing. I hope that every individual is put through some awkward humiliation like braces or bad hair. My first year at college I wanted dark tresses (I have dirty brown) and it ended up black. And then the roots grew out and we tried to fix it (obviously not learning our lesson the first time) and I ended up with clown red roots and blue-ish/black hair. Needless to say that was THE most expensive mistake I have ever made. Point to be made: every single human should endure this type of humiliation at some point. They say it builds character or something like that!

20. Eli Whitney July 23, 2011 at 9:32 pm

THIS POST JUST MADE ME PIDDLE MY PANTS LAUGHING. I remember those days all too well. What is making me cringe right now is that I can easily think back to how jealous I was of your style. The bleached tips and the Burlington Coat Factory fashion.

21. SAL July 24, 2011 at 11:28 pm

f*#K you are funny!

22. Michele July 25, 2011 at 3:33 pm

You are a very funny girl.