Amazing Grace

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give you an update on Gracie’s surgery. Bailey and I went down to see Gracie this morning at 7 am and she was really alert and seemed calm and happy. The anesthesiologists came and spoke with us before they took her into surgery around 8:30. We got our first update from the OR nurse at 10:30 that they had just started and we would be updated every hour. At 11:30 they called to say that our surgeon had begun the procedure resecting the tumor from her back side. Because the tumor had a large internal component we had been told that they would need to make an incision in the front and the back to completely remove and reconstruct the affected areas. They called again at 12:30 to let us know it was still going well, but that they thought it would be a few more hours. At 2:30 Carmen, our nurse coordinator who has been with us since our first visit at TCH came up to our room and told us it was time to go see our baby.
We went down to the NICU and were soon joined by our Doctor who brought with him pictures of the surgery. Although they had planned to do the two incisions, as they started resecting and draining the tumor from the back, the internal component started draining and coming out as well. Nothing short of a miracle. He said he was pleased with the muscles that had developed and felt confident that they were able to reconstruct Gracie so that they don’t expect she should have many long term consequences. The incision looks very clean and we believe it will heal well without too much scarring as well.
As we were thanking the Doctor profusely he said, “Don’t thank me, thank God, that is who I work for”.
I know our family has experienced a miracle performed by all of the amazing doctors here at Texas Children’s Hospital and St. Luke’s, facilitated by the incredible prayers and support of all of you, and the Grace of God. We are so thankful and so happy and so in love with our little girl. Thank you all for lifting her up these past few months, and carrying us every step of the way. We are continuing to pray for a speedy recovery, but are just so relieved that this huge hurdle has been overcome.
Love,
The McCarthy’s
*Update* Pete and I went down to say goodnight to Gracie last night after we had written this, and spoke to the nurses for a bit. She was supposed to come back intubated from the surgery so that they could help her continue to breathe- which is sometimes hard for infants after such an ordeal and under strong pain medication. When they brought her back Gracie had either removed her breathing tube on her own or it had fallen out- and she was breathing strong on her own. The nurses keep commenting that they cannot believe how strong she is, and how calm and peaceful she seems. She rarely cries and has the sweetest, wise presence about her. I also attribute this to all of the prayers and good energy being sent her way. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

Comments

1. stacy August 5, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Fantastic news! So glad you all are doing so well.

2. Stephanie August 5, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Happy tears flowing…she’s a beauty and a miracle…

3. Maura August 5, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Yeay baby Grace! She’s an awesome little bean!!

4. DANI D. August 5, 2011 at 2:43 pm

PRAISE GOD.
    THE POWER OF PRAYER!!

5. Lindsey August 5, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Happy tears here as well. She is in my thoughts as are you both. Yay for many successes and cheers to many more wonderful days!

6. jcklu August 5, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Go Team McCarthy!
    Blesings are always on trend!
    XOXO

7. marie August 5, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I am so thrilled to know that Grace is doing so WELL…..I hope that you will take comfort in reading all these comments from “faux friends” and know that so many of us out here follow your fab blog and life and feel like we know you! My heart has been aching for you and Pete-and I am so relieved to read your post and hear that the surgery was a success! I am continuing to pray for a speedy recovery for Grace! From Charlotte, NC!!!

8. alison@MLHP August 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Weepy Lady here singing praises to this miracle little angel you have, and to The Man who gives us poor souls a peek at His Greatness.
    xoxo

9. Sarah MacMillan August 5, 2011 at 5:33 pm

So glad to hear that the surgery went well and that Grace is doing so great. Thanking God and rejoicing with you!

10. Christina August 5, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Thank you for the update-so happy Gracie is doing so well! Wishing her a speedy recovery-sounds like you have a great team working to take care of her. I love the new pic:) Keeping you guys in our fam’s prayers.

11. Juliann August 5, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Thank God!!We prayed all day yesterday!What a strong,beautiful girl!!
    Thank you for posting an update,I must have asked Cat 20 times yesterday if she had heard any news!
    I hope you and Pete can get some much needed rest now!I am sure the proud parents are extremely exhausted.
    Get used to all nighters now though.They come with children!LOL!

12. Jenny August 5, 2011 at 8:54 pm

What a beautiful little baby girl. She looks so sweet and peaceful. Prayers to baby Grace for a quick recovery!

13. Johanna August 5, 2011 at 9:28 pm

What a great post – so happy for you guys. I’d be lying if I said my eyes didn’t well up. What a precious little girl!

14. Jenny August 6, 2011 at 9:37 am

Yea! I’ve been praying for you guys since your post on the tumor.

15. ronnie August 6, 2011 at 10:35 am

What a beautiful little girl. Congratulations. prays coming your way for continue health.

16. janet August 6, 2011 at 11:18 am

praise God for whom all blessings flow….the power of prayer is evident in this miracle! i’m so thankful that He loves our children even more than we possibly could and is the Great Physician! i am thankful for doctors, with gifted and skilled hands that, like pete quoted, work for God. i pray for continued healing and through all this that you will be closer to God, grace’s creator & healer.

17. Patty Buchenberger August 6, 2011 at 11:11 pm

What a beautiful, precious, prefectly named baby girl…clearly she is a special child of God who chose the perfect parents for her. Blessings to all of you…

18. cara August 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm

This is GREAT news! You and your little princess are still in my prayers :)

19. Kellie August 7, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Wonderful wonderful news!!! Congratulations and what a beautiful baby! My prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery! So very happy for your family!

20. Gina August 8, 2011 at 1:15 am

crying b/c I am sooo happy for you and your beautiful little family! Amazing Grace she is!!! Prayers paid off again!!!

21. Allyson August 8, 2011 at 1:38 am

So happy for little Grace! She is a strong little miracle. She has so much love and support pulling her through. You guys are going to be the best family!

22. Katie August 8, 2011 at 12:38 pm

So happy for you guys! She’s beautiful and obviously strong like her mama! Sending much happiness your way.

23. Emily August 8, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Thanks for keeping us all updated – so happy to hear it’s going well! Will continue to send lots of good energy Gracie’s way!

24. Emily August 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm

25. Deidre August 8, 2011 at 2:03 pm

yay!!! what a miracle… a heart-warming, faith-building, tiny precious pink miracle. she is totally edible and i wish i could give her the biggest kisses on those sweet cheeks. love the dr’s comment…that’s the kind of guy you want operating on your child! i’m so thrilled for y’all and will keep sweet grace in my prayers (as well as her mommy and daddy)

26. Leslie August 8, 2011 at 5:26 pm

sending you lots of good thoughts for baby Grace

ox Leslie

27. Lonely Wife Project August 8, 2011 at 8:10 pm

So happy to hear this! She’s precious!

28. Glitterista August 8, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful news. We’ve all been thinking of you all so much during this. :)

29. Ana August 12, 2011 at 9:41 am

God is so good! I will keep praying that God continues to bless your family and that many will see His good works through your experience.

P.S. I’m sure it’s not just me, but that is one of the cutest newborns I have ever seen!

30. christine August 16, 2011 at 8:53 am

So so happy to read this good news..what a doll she is!!