Sick on your Birthday should not be allowed.

Sheesh.

It has been a rough few days. Pete has been deathly ill since Friday, so I have been single parenting- and let me just tell you. My hats off to any of you who actually are. I do not have the constitution for it, I discovered last night when I just started weeping after I put Gracie to bed out of sheer exhaustion.

The be fair, it wasn’t just normal dealing with baby time. My step brother got married last weekend in Fort Worth, and Pete is contagious so he stayed home and I drove 3 hours there and back in 24 hours with Gracie, by myself. It was…intense. And I seriously felt like such a badass. Like no big deal, I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T do you know what that means!

And then Monday came, and he still wasn’t better. So I was on my own again a little worse for the wear. Then yesterday, it was like he was actually getting worse. Poor thing. So I attempted to cure him with my love. And made him some chicken noodle soup and brought it to him in bed.

And when that aesthetically pleasing presentation didn’t immediately heal him I got irrationally angry and just started crying.

Now today I will again journey by myself with GMcB to Houston for my best friends wedding this weekend.

I am a little fragile.

And it’s not even my birthday.

It is Pete’s Birthday.

How tragic is that??

He even had to cancel his birthday party. Real talk.

So Happy Birthday to my husband, Pete.

You are a stone cold fox.

I could not have known it when I fell in love with you Freshman Year of college watching you chug bacardi limon on Halloween, but you are the best husband and daddy a girl could ask for. Watching Gracie’s face light up every time you walk into a room is so good for my heart.

Thank you for letting me paint our house pink, and for getting up with the baby girl in the middle of the night. Thank you for taking me on sushi dates on Saturdays, and for looking so good in jeans.

I like you so much, for so many reasons. For your humor, heart, family, character, aspirations, and, of course, your face. But most of all I love the way you love me and our girl.

Happy Birthday, and get well soon!

Everyone, please leave Pete a note letting him know how bomb you think he is. Maybe it will be like when tinker bell drinks the poison and is dying but then everyone claps and says “I believe in Fairies” and Tinker Bell lives!

Anyone else watch Mary Martin, Peter Pan as a child or are y’all all looking at me like I have a star shaped head about now?

Comments

1. alison@MLHP December 14, 2011 at 7:15 am

Awww….Get Well soon, Pete, sending Big Birthday Wishes from Brazil!

B –
    You girl, are a champ – I’ve traveled thousands of miles with a child on my own, but the distance doesn’t matter – doing it alone is NOT COOL. Kudos to you, Mama – hang in there!
    ag

2. Jennifer Mary December 14, 2011 at 9:26 am

Bailey — I’m so glad you’re posting again on the regular. I missed your quacky sense of humor!

Happy birthday to your hubster!! I hope Pete feels better soon, I have been sick on my bday too and tis not fabulous. But I’m sure you two will celebrate once he is healed again!! I have often thought the same thing about single parents, I don’t know how they do it…!!!

Xoxoxoxo and good well vibes!

3. Meg Little XO December 14, 2011 at 10:11 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PETE! I do think you are pretty bomb, actually. I hope you feel better soon so you can fully enjoy your birthday and the holiday season. Sending you lots of well wishes!

xoxo

4. ashley December 14, 2011 at 10:17 am

Happy Birthday Pete! You are the bombdiggity! I hope he gets well soon! I am sure that you are a fantastic nurse, Bailey!

5. Katie December 14, 2011 at 10:32 am

Petey! We are so sad you are sick on your birthday :(. At least you have the sweetest, cutest wife who lists all the things she loves about you! And the cutest baby girl! We will miss you till you get home!! XO

6. Elizabeth December 14, 2011 at 10:35 am

Happy Birthday Pete! Praying you get better very soon!!!
    And yes, the Mary Martin version of Peter Pan is wonderful awesomesauce. Make sure Gracie watches it! :)

7. jen December 14, 2011 at 11:04 am

happy birthday pete!

ps. bailey, you are such an amazing writer. your words about your love for your husband and daughter, and your graceful posts about your daughters health, are so perfect and well written, yet so down to earth at the same time. can i tell you what i love about my husband and have you translate it into words for me?!?!

8. Laura December 14, 2011 at 11:22 am

Happy happy birthday Pete!!!

9. Katie Rose December 14, 2011 at 11:40 am

Aww.. so sorry to hear that Pete is sick but glad that you are back blogging. P.S. I LOVED the Mary Martin version of Peter Pan and clapped like an idiot when I read your post. :-)

10. lynngweeny December 14, 2011 at 12:02 pm

HBD 2 DBH
    (Happy Birthday to Da Bomb Husband)

11. Ann Marie December 14, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Wow, great job handling all of this Bailey! Happy birthday to Pete, get better fast!! And, yes, I love the Mary Martin version, so much so that last year I found and ordered it and my lovely boyfriend converted it from vhs to dvd and actually watched it with me! If you’d like a copy I’d be happy to send one :)

12. Melissa December 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Happy Birhtday Pete! I so hope he gets better how awful.

13. LindsB December 14, 2011 at 12:45 pm

As soon as you said tinker bell drinks the poison I knew exactly where you were going with that, I friggin love that movie more than laughing kittens!

Happy Birthday Pete and I hope you feel better soon!

14. JHATT December 14, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Oh no!!!! I hope you get well REALLY soon!! We can all party extra hard this weekend to make up for your healing time!!!! Miss the McCarthys!!!

15. Bre December 14, 2011 at 1:20 pm

OMG YES! I still have an old VHS somewhere from taping that movie when it was on TV… circa 1987-ish. I remember all the commercials being for Osh Kosh B’gosh and Cadbury Creme eggs.

Back to business… Happy Birthday Pete! You and Bailey are my favorite internet couple that I often fantasize about being real live friends with. Totally not creepy. Feel better soon! *clap clap clap clap clap*

16. Molly L December 14, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Happy Birthday Pete and get better!!! And I second what Bre said — I wish I was friends with you guys in real life!

17. Meagan December 14, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Happy Birthday Pete! And Bailey you’re super woman.

18. Design Darling December 14, 2011 at 4:07 pm

You two are too cute. I’m sure love letters and adoring fans will do the trick! Hang in there with Gracie girl and have fun at the wedding — maybe chug a little Bacardi Limon in Pete’s honor?

19. Maggie December 14, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Happy Birthday, Pete! Hope you feel lots and lots better, very, very soon!

I didn’t know there was a version of Peter Pan OTHER than the Mary Martin version until I was almost 13… so obviously it’s the best one. (-:

20. Sheila December 14, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Happy Birthday, Pete!

21. bevy December 14, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Happy Birthday Pete! You sound awesome! Get well ASAFP!

Poor mama. I’m sure your sweet hubby will pay you back once he’s well again!

22. MFAMB December 14, 2011 at 11:05 pm

oh no no no no no NO! it is the devils work being sick on your birthday.

i was sick on mine…and it sucks ding dongs.

pete? you steam your face off with shower heat.
    lots of times. it will make you feel better.

23. Allyson December 14, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I love your rap song reference! Poor Pete! Hope he feels better asap! And good luck with everything! It sounds completely overwhelming, but I know you will make it through!

24. ERB December 15, 2011 at 11:19 am

Hope Pete feels better STAT and Happy Birthday to him!

25. Christina December 15, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Happy birthday Pete! Being sick as a parent is the shits but it will pass. I’m in California and weird flues have taken down 2 people at work this week…I trust Bailey’s eye implicitly so even if you feel like a hot mess you are still a stone cold fox:) hope you feel better…let the girls take care of you now the way you take stellar care of them so you get better!

26. cynthia December 15, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Feel better and love your blog…Long time reader (but never posted before).

Merry Christmas!

27. cynthia December 15, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Feel better, Pete! Love your blog.

Merry Christmas to you all, first Christmases with your kids are the best.

28. hellolover December 16, 2011 at 2:02 am

Happy Birthday and please get well soon – I loved that version of Peter Pan ( owned it on whatever it was that movies came out on before vhs). I’m typing this while clapping and repeating aloud “I believe in fairies”!

29. rachel g December 16, 2011 at 10:17 am

Oh my gosh, you crack me up! HAPPY BIRTHDAY PETE!!!