Waterbabies

Despite the controversy over the one shouldered baby bather, I have bravely decided to forge on with our plans to bring Gracie Girl to the beach over New Years.

;)

Gracie loves her bath time pretty much more than anything else ever in the world, and I am dying to get her in a pool and experience some new levels of baby joy.

But I know literally nothing about beaches with babies. And as I have discovered in my four months as a mother, there tends to be a lot more involved with every little activity when you include a baby. I am up for it, but I am going to need your help.

Like what diapers do I use? If Gracie makes poops in the pool I might just die. It is going to be challenging enough for me to appear in public in a bathing suit in my current state, to suffer any humiliation whilst so scantily clad will probably cause some sort of mental break. So I need to know what are the best poop containing diapers.

Also, sunscreen? How do I protect her little baby skins? I got a floaty raft thingy with a shade so she can enjoy her giant bathtub with minimum sun exposure, but still, GMcB has her father’s lily white coloring so ultimate precautions will be made.

Toys, Grace isn’t so big on the toys lately. As long as she can rip out clumps of my hair she is pretty happy, but are there any miracle little baby pool/beach things I should know about?

Also, is this what dolphins look like as babies? Or is this baby an alien?

Why is it underwater and alive?

I have so much to learn and I need you all to teach me.

Now.

GO!

Comments

1. Catherine December 12, 2011 at 11:45 am

I have no real insight to share, but one of my most vivid scary memories was being at the beach when I was 10 or so, and an ambulance having to come because a baby got so seriously sunburned while her parents got drunk. So, um, don’t do that. (I know you won’t, obviously! But I’m glad you’re thinking about sunscreen. :)

2. Kendall December 12, 2011 at 11:52 am

Taking Grace to the beach will be a breeze for you and her both. The Little Swimmer diapers are the BEST! And FYI, when you take them off just rip the sides so you don’t have to struggle pulling a wet diaper off. As for sunscreen, make sure you get one that is PABA free. My sweet baby broke out in a hellacious rash AND THEN I learned. We use the Neutrogena baby sunscreen, which is awesome. Take babypowder with you, it takes wet sand off like magic! I hope this help! Glad you’re back! Love your blog!

3. The New Diplomats Wi December 12, 2011 at 11:53 am

iplay for swimsuits – they have a built in diaper, and will contain all solids – they can be snug to get on, we’ve had to order a size up. i also like kushies, they’re easier and dry fast. iplay also has adorable hats and all their products have spf 50 in them – doesn’t replace sunscreen but backup never hurts. iplay has a website or it pops up often on zulily.

for skin, generally the less that skin is exposed the better – remember sunscreen goes on an hour in advance so that it soaks in (same for adults) I like california baby, but we’ve also used baby neutrogena as well.

For toys, i don’t find that we really need any – splashing water around seems to be just as fun as anything, though we usually bring a rubber ducky or a couple of “little squirters” (bath toys)so that she has something to try to catch.

Aden and anais blankets for sunshades.

the only other thing that i would add is a little kimono from giggle. we got one and it was great in terms of having something warm and dry to take her down to the pool or to wear while at the pool. logistically, we would take her down in a diaper and kimono (now a little robe now that she’s bigger), put on the suit at the pool, do the swim, and then change her out of suit adn put on diaper. mitigates poop risk. we usually have a couple of suits so that if we go back into pool, she has a dry one. also to mitigate risk, it’s always best to wait until after any daily poop jobs but you know, sometimes you have to guess, just watch for the signs and get out of the water. The diapers will hold solids, but not liquid.

And have fun! We took our baby everywhere and to all sorts of pools and she loves the water now – its’ a life skill that you’re building ;).

hope that helps!

4. Angela December 12, 2011 at 11:54 am

You will have a wonderful time! I highly recommend the reusable swim diapers. I copied a link below… there are several options though. We have a pool in the backyard with two little girls and I LOVE these. You can put a swimsuit over or just wear the swim diaper. I also have my girls wear a good floppy hat that blocks the UV rays. Aveeno baby sunscreen is the best for little ones! Have fun and enjoy.

5. Jennifer December 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Highly recommend a rash-gaurd (long-sleeve if you can find it). This eliminates the need to put sunscreen on her torso and most of her arm. I know, not as cute as an itsy-bitsy, but not as much of a pain as all-over sunscreen. Also, try out your sunscreen prior to your trip–our little guy rubbed “tear-free” sunscreen in his eyes and we had to pull over en route to the beach to wash off the sunscreen because of a swollen baby face. I’m also a big fan of a wide-brimmed hat with a chin strap–as our boys have gotten older we have a “no hat, no play” rule. Good luck, you will be great!

6. Amy December 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Hi. I’m pretty sure I remember reading babies under 6 months should NOT use sunscreen. I would definitely check with your pediatrician. Also, be careful of sun glare even when you are in the shade. When my 14 year old daughter was 2 weeks old I thought I was being so careful by keeping her up on the deck out of the sun. BUT, the sun was bouncing off the window and her cheeks got got sunburned. I wanted to die!! No lasting damage but plenty of mommy worry and guilt.

7. Meg Little XO December 12, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Bailey-I just got off the phone with my sister who has a 2 year old and lives in Las Vegas where the temps are very pool friendly, so I knew she would be an expert. My niece also has very pale skin that is also pretty sensitive and my sister said that she uses Baby Aveeno sunscreen and she thinks it’s 55 SPF. She also uses Huggies Little Swimmers and said that they don’t get as big, bulky, and obvious as other diapers in the pool. Hope this helps, have a great trip!!

8. Shauna December 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Code Brown! I used to work at a pool and this was our alert for floaters (poop slosions). It really is no big deal, it happens more often than you’d expect. Wait until she is 6 mo to put her underwater. We call these “dolphin dives.” Most babies love them, you angle them down and back up like a little dive. They hold their breath and are naturals. Have fun!

9. kkrs December 12, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Bailey,

First of all, have a wonderful time! I am super jeal of y’all! As far as sunscreen goes, I agree with Meg Little XO… Aveeno spf 55 is the best. (I use it on my face, as well… the last thing I need is a bunch of wrinkles!) No stinging! And, it doesn’t have that “sunscreen” feel to it if you know what I mean. Hats are great… there are some really cute ones at http://www.dimplesanddandelions.com. I mean seriously cute ones. We have a red and white polka dot one, a black and pink polka dot one and a pink and lime polka dot one… guess I like polka dots! All of them with big fun flowers on them. Of course, she will need a pink chicken bathing suit! I am sure that you could get some at artebebe.com on sale right now! Also, pack plenty of long sleeve white t-shirts to cover her sweet little skin up with when she is not in the water. I love the baby gap ones… cheap, not hideous, and not too thick!

Lastly, my mama is a pediatrician, and she says that while Gracie is under 6 months old and it is not recommended for infants under 6 mo., sunscreen is a must if you are headed to the beach. It is better to use sunscreen than to have her get sunburned. Especially if you are using a super gentle sunscreen like aveeno. Seriously, it is the best sunscreen out there! I feel like I am a sunscreen expert, as I live at our pool all summer long!

Have tons of fun. Can’t wait to see her floating around in her baby floatie! She will love it!

10. The New Diplomats Wi December 12, 2011 at 3:01 pm

good reminder from Amy – yes, we didn’t use sunscreen before 6 months (just the iplay suits and being covered up, usually under the muslin blanket and not out during peak hours).

11. Bre December 12, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I have super fair Irish/Nordic skin, much like Pete’s, and even though I am baby-less, I can tell you that I do get a sunburn UNDER my clothes from time to time… I know… KKRS has some great advice above and I’m even not trying to be a know it all, but I just have to chime in and say that a plain white tee is the equivalent to just 5 – 7 SPF, so it might be a good idea to give baby some sunscreen under her clothes, or dress her in darker colors while she’s out of the water. Hope you have a blast!

12. Kate December 12, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Hey there! I loved taking my baby to the beach and pool, and even took my son to the turks and caicos at 10 weeks! I concur with the reusable dipes and iplay gear- one thing about sunscreen- at the end of the day it’s up to you, but the reason babies under 6 months should not wear sunscreen is that their skin is too thin and they absorb the chemicals more easily. Google it. There’s only one brand i know of that docs say is ok before 6 months- MD moms, and they make wipes that are really easy to use. Have fun!!!

13. Molly December 12, 2011 at 10:58 pm

SuperGoop is my very most favorite sunscreen! Free of all the weird chemically things and the sunscreen swipes are so genius – like baby wipes full of sunscreen. Their customer service is super great, too. I swear I have no affiliation with them – just LOVE their products for our whole family. Also, second the notion of ripping off the swim dipes at the sides. The little bather is perfection – enjoy your trip!

14. Lauren December 12, 2011 at 11:31 pm

handy tip: when her little legs get all sandy and sticky, just sprinkle baby powder on them. it absorbs all the moisture and the sand just brushes off. have fun!!!

15. shakes my head December 13, 2011 at 1:36 am

money does not buy class, trash!

16. Kelsey December 13, 2011 at 2:56 am

Thatta girl, Bailey. :) Keep your chin up. Some people…

17. aunt ruth December 13, 2011 at 3:14 am

i can’t even imagine why there would be controversy over a one-shoulder bather…prudes :)

18. Kkrs December 13, 2011 at 4:00 am

Dear shake my head,
    Hi. My name is katherine. I use my initials on bailey’s blog (and others) when posting comments because I am sort of lazy and my name is sort of long. I have nothing to hide. I am who I am, and I like my ridiculous self. A lot. Anything I have to say to Bailey (who in my “head movies” is my friend) I would be 100% ok with putting my name behind. I am so sad for you. You must be truly unhappy. Poor thing, I will pray that life gets better for you.. It is pretty deplorable that you would
    Take the time to not only to read a blog that is so obviously against everything you stand for, but to leave childish and mean comments without the courage to be known… To be accountable for your words. Why the need to be anonymous? Why the need to hide behind anonymous status in such a cowardly fashion? I hope that you will find other blogs to follow that are more in line with your beliefs/lifestyle/outlook in the near future, so that you can leave Bailey and HER blog alone. Remember, this is her blog and she has the right to say whatever she desires here! I like the others who find Bailey refreshing, fun, and upbeat will continue to “drink the peppermint koolaid” with a smile on our face and a designers guild throw pillow under our arms.

19. Sheila December 13, 2011 at 8:40 am

Hi Bailey,
    Your daughter is one lucky little girl. I know how much you and Pete love and care for her. How sad that “shakes my head” doesn’t understand that kind of love. I’m sure you are teaching Grace that if she doesn’t have anything nice to say, she shouldn’t say anything at all!
    Have a wonderful vacation, you deserve it!

20. abo December 13, 2011 at 9:27 am

shakes my head, don’t you have anything better to do? it’s laughable and contradictory that you’re taking the time to post on a blog whose theme you apparently disagree with! i think there’s an old word for that…hmm…jealous? get a life!

21. mckinley December 13, 2011 at 10:07 am

Hi Bailey: Love the site. Definitely go to subscription.
    I can see “shakes” now. Feverishly stalking all of those bloggers she envies at 1:30 in the morning and sending out little secret hate mail. Singularly homely, alone and no doubt sitting in a tent in Zucotti Park. Not worth response time.

22. Carrie December 13, 2011 at 10:19 am

I know a lot of people love the disposable swim diapers but I’m not a huge fan- they can get a little funky when they fill up. I think the washable swim pants are more secure (try iplay). Also look into a company called Cabana Life- they make adorable children’s beach wear and it all contains SPF 50; coupled with Aveeno SPF lotion really reinforces the sun protection. A good hat (like FlapHappy) will keep her head and neck out of the sun. And absolutely invest in a sunscreen stick to goop up places like under her eyes and along her ears that burn easily but are hard to coat with the lotion. Enjoy your vaca! xx

23. Elizabeth December 13, 2011 at 10:40 am

We went through quite a trial and error process during our first time at the beach. We honestly did all the things listed here b/c we weren’t sure what was going to work ahead of time and didn’t really have time (or a place) to test them all out. So maybe be prepared with a few different options. :)
    Ultimately, the iplay was my favorite, and the hubbs like the swimmers (again, bc they are easy).
    PLEASE do not let that pesky and annoying “head shaker” get you down. If you give in, they win!
    Love you and your blog!!!

24. Bethany December 13, 2011 at 10:51 am

That bathing suit is adorable. Gracie will be the mayor of Cute City in it. My family has a beach house on the Connecticut shore, so my baby was at the beach pretty much every weekend this summer and LOVED it! We used a little baby beach hut thing, and it seriously was the best thing ever. It kept her shadded, but 2 of the sides were like mesh, so it also allowed the the air to flow through. She was happy as a clam most of the time in it. And it somehow folded up into a little bag that I could just pop into my beach bag. We got it as a gift from Babies R Us (I can’t remember the brand). Good luck & have fun!

25. lisa December 13, 2011 at 11:16 am

Hi! Okay I didn’t know anyone posted anything negative until you referenced it today and I went back and checked. At first I thought how awful that timing was on your first post back! Then I thought NO NO the timing is PERFECT! It is the universes way of testing your resolve to be authentic to yourself no matter what people say! So…

I love sunscreen wipes – very easy to use. But not sure if enough coverage for such a young baby? Great for around the face though.

Also, not very fashionable but we live in San Diego and for most of the first year we used these really awesome sun protective clothes for the kids when at the beach. Light weight pants and long sleeve shirts that can get wet, dry instantly and block sun! So no worry about sunscreen. They even have swimsuits that are more like lightweight wetsuits. Again, not fashionable but effective.

I think this is the website but you can google

Have fun!
    Lisa

26. Nicky December 13, 2011 at 11:30 am

Love California Baby sunscreen!

27. JamB December 13, 2011 at 12:33 pm

So much fun! I can’t wait to get our three month old out in our pool this summer! We are starting swim lessons with her at 6 months. I love that bather and saw a cute matching cap for it at Gap this past weekend. http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=63908&vid=1&pid=884768&scid=884768002

Also, Skin Deep is a great website to see what you are putting on your babies skin when you are picking a sunscreen. Since a baby’s skin is thinner and absorbs more chemicals this is particularly important. California Babies makes a great stick for kids/babies that rates well. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

Have fun!

28. Nicole December 13, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Hey!

We went to the beach for the first time with our daughter last spring and it was so much fun! Two pieces of advice:
    1. pick up an inexpensive pack and play that you can donate afterwards. Babies LOVE to sleep on the beach (at least mine did) due to the sound of the waves so you want to have somewhere to put her while she naps.
    2. pick up a tiny baby pool to fill with water so you can rinse her hands off when she gets all sandy. Plus, she will love to sit in it and splash around.

29. Nell December 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Bailey! I love the site. I think you’re funny. And stylish. And Grace and Pete are lucky people. I’m SO HAPPY you’re posting. I swear there is some way for you to moderate your comments so they all have to be approved before posting on your site! That would probably keep out the riff raff.

30. Becca December 13, 2011 at 3:26 pm

If you blow on a baby’s face before submerging them in water, they automatically hold their breath. That’s how they got the picture you posted. Just a little fun fact for you!

31. Becca December 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm

If you blow on a baby’s face before submerging them in water, they will automatically hold their breath. That’s what they did for the picture you posted. Just a little fun fact for ya!

32. Melissa December 13, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Swim diapers for sure!! I bet you’ll have an amazing time at the beach.

33. JamB December 13, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Oh! And Charlie Banana has super cute swim diapers! http://www.charliebanana.com/Small_c_37.html

34. Jess December 13, 2011 at 9:17 pm

When your little cutie gets a bit older go for the sunscreen sticks for the face. They will save you countless tears from sunscreen in the eye.

35. Carrie December 14, 2011 at 10:25 am

To all of you who feel the need to leave snarky, unnecessary comments on this blog- find something better to do with your time. If you don’t agree with Bailey’s lifestyle then this blog isn’t for you. I’ve had the pleasure of knowing Bailey and can attest to the fact that she’s an all-around fabulous person and an incredibly loving mother; so stop looking down your nose and passing judgement. If you don’t like this blog then don’t read it and leave those of us who do to read in peace.

36. Molly December 14, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Love your blog and so glad you’re back!

I have a baby girl (probably just weeks younger than GMcB) and we took her to Florida in November. We went with the iPlay bathing suit and it was great! We also just kept her out of the sun since she was under 6 months, and even took her for a dip in the pool which she loved (she also LIVES for bathtime!).

Good luck! Enjoy the precious time with your baby girl!

37. Sarah December 15, 2011 at 12:10 am

I used the “Mustela” brand sunscreen (and all other baby products) and LOVED them. Both my daughter and I have super sensitive skin and it didn’t bother her one bit….all of the others did, even the Aveeno :(

I also liked the swim diapers that were reusable because they are super cute and easy to wash and use again. Also, you can’t beat a bit floppy hat to cover her face, shoulders…

Have fun!

38. Amy December 18, 2011 at 1:23 am

I am no expert, but what I CAN do is share what not to do. Do not… under any circumstances… suddenly remember to check her diaper while in the pool. Especially if it might be poopy. I did this at a country club, while sitting in the kiddie pool. My daughter had pooped, and a giant poop cloud came floating up out of her diaper. I was mortified. Just saying, that stuff floats, and disperses very far, very fast while in water. Containment is not possible.

Oh, and I looked for baby sunscreen without oxybenzone in it… a bunch of reports came out last year saying how it is bad for you. There was also a vitamin A ingredient that was supposedly bad too (Retinyl palmitate).

39. Amy December 18, 2011 at 1:31 am

Although not an expert, I CAN tell you what NOT to do. Do not… under any circumstance… suddenly remember to check her diaper while in the pool. Especially if it might be poopy. I admit, I did do just this over the summer while at a country club. My daughter had pooped… and when I went to peek in the top, a gigantic poop cloud wafted right out. I was mortified. That stuff disperses fast, and is far reaching. And it is completely obvious.

As far as sunscreen, I looked for ones without Oxybenzone in it… a bunch of articles came out last year about how it is bad for you. I also tried to remember to look for ones without a vitamin A ingredient (Retinyl palmitate) for the same reason.
    Hope this helps!
    ~ Amy from Jack Sprat’s Wife

40. Christine January 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Just catching up on reading Peppermint Bliss! I have no babies, but everyone else seems to have covered that advice anyway. For you, this might be a solution!

I use it to make the best of my “I work in an office” tummy :) I’m sure something like this would look great post-baby!