5 Months of Grace…and Stuff.

We haven’t done one of these guides in awhile. In the beginning we did really well without too much stuff. Then, around 3 months the stuff sneakily starts to proliferate. Because, you see, for us at least around 3 months Gracie really went from a primarily dormant creature, to a real little person. And that is so exciting, to finally have your little baby be engaging and want to do things, that we at least got suckered into every little activity/brain stimulater out there.

First of all, this is what we have continued to use from our one and two month guides. We are still swaddling, I know I know, I tried to break it about a month ago but then she straight up stopped sleeping, so we are taking it slow. The aden & anais are good, but we have had to replace ours as they tend to shred after about 2 months of heavy use. The soothies are still essential, and we are using her carseat and baby bjorn chair.

From the two month guide I am surprised and impressed that she still loves her chair. We never got a big fancy swingy rocker, and I kept expecting that we would regret it, but this guy is still one of the favorite activities in her circuit. I also keep expecting her to get sick of her mat, but she keeps discovering new fun ways to play on it.

She also loves this owl by the same company.

Now above, I mentioned Gracie’s circuit. We have a sort of baby gym set up in our playroom where Gracie goes through her daily exercise machines. There is the mat and the chair, and around 3 months we added her office.

She absolutely adoooreesss her office and gets all of her best work done in there. I highly endorse this particular office, as we had one before that I thought was cute but that just didn’t work for Gracie. So I went on a research mission and this one came out the winner.

The final activity in her circuit is her bouncer. We have this in the doorway between our kitchen and playroom and Gracie loves to bounce and twirl around and watch me cook.

Now I am highly aware that is a lot of gear. At first I was like “no electronic toys” “no gear”…and now I am way over it. This stuff works and she LOVES it and I love having new ways to interact with baby girl and watch her grow into her own little person.

On the smaller toy side of things she is enjoying

This pink unicorn Santa gave her for Christmas.
As well as this picnic basket full of rattles and squeezies. Both from Melissa and Doug who pretty much make the cutest toys, and are  non-electronic, classically cute, and anti-chemically as well.

Now this.

This is the most important baby tool we own. I read about it over on one of Modg’s guides, she swore that it was a miracle worker as her baby would not take a passie and this was the only thing that calmed him down. Sweet. I’ll take 20. I don’t know why, but this guy has the same affect on GrayBaby. She LOVES it. She is mesmerized by it. She can be in the middle of a Level 10 ragefest, and this little thing puts her back in her happy place. We try to limit its use, because we don’t understand its power and don’t want to abuse it lest it loses its effectiveness. But. Just get it.

Also, I want to backtrack a bit and talk about strollers. I ignored all warnings and went with the cutest one I found. And it is super cute. But now it lives with my mom for when we visit her house. I would take Gracie on the trails around Austin with it and felt like I was on the Iditarod pushing a 1000 pound load.  And chick weighs like 15 pounds. And then I looked around and noticed that literally every single person had the same stroller. That was not mine and looked nothing like mine. And had one front wheel. And looked lean and mean.

So I tested it out, and duh. That is because the Bob is the best if you actually plan on doing anything outdoorsy or athletic with your baby in tow. Which, to be honest, is not one of my primary priorities, but when the urge hits I need to be well prepared. The other thing I like about the bob is that the carseat attachment so that I can push Gracie in her carseat just attaches onto the regular stroller seat. You don’t have to take one thing off and switch it out. Which would be particularly handy when traveling for instance, so that you could bring your carseat and your stroller and just hook it all together. Two in one is the goal of all baby gear.

The baby carrier is the other item I did some considerable research on and we are a huge fan of the Beco Baby Carrier

It’s the only one I found where you can position your baby to face front, or into your bosom…On your side or back. Gracie likes to face front and take on the world, so that versatility is a must for us.

Finally…and this one is big. Gracie is finally eating “solids”. By the way, whoever came up with calling this stage in baby eating “solids” is confused. STILL, we are so excited to be here. Gracie has always had bad acid reflux, and even though we got the pain from her reflux under control she still is like a baby geyser spit up machine. We go through about four totally soaked outfit changes a day. Both of us. So I have been looking forward to getting something “solid” in her tummy to hopefully hold things down a bit ever since I got the go-ahead from the pediatrician at four months to start introducing foods.

But as usual, GrayBaby had other ideas. I pureed peaches, bananas, roasted and mashed sweet potatoes, butternut squash, rice cereal, pears…nada. And let me tell you, preparing sweet potatoes for baby consumption is not a quick process. After about a month of rejection, I switched to these prepared baby foods so at least when Gracie told me to shove it, I wouldn’t have spent an hour cooking and cleaning to get to that point.

Sprout is organic baby food backed by Tyler Florence. The packaging is eco friendly and is part of their up cycling program. All of these things are nice, but what really matters is that their apple puree finally ended Gracie’s food ban at 5 1/2 months. We have now also tried their pears and they are a huge hit as well. Gracie LOVES this food, is spitting up a lot less, and I now get to enjoy watching my baby eat “solids” which is one of the most hilarious baby activities yet. I will retry doing my own purees once she has moved through a few more of the Sprout packs, but these are great if you aren’t interested in making your own, and for traveling etc.

Because we had such a slow start feeding I still haven’t invested in a high chair. So far we have been using the Bumpo with its tray attachment, but I am thinking she is ready for a big girl chair.

I have been tempted by all of the cute design-y fancy high chairs out there, but all of my friends SWEAR this Ikea chair is the way to go. Good price, easy to clean, easy to maneuver. Not bad looking. I’m goin’ for it.

We also love this bib- it catches the food that doesn’t make it into Gracie’s bell, and its silicone and easy to clean.

Finally, and this one is kind of silly but we like it. My friend Melanie gave me this necklace…

They are called chew beads and they are rubbery, non toxic, in our experience non-breakable jewelry that your baby can chew on. Since Gracie has been a teething fiend and everything goes in her mouth these days, they are a big hit.

They come in different styles and colors, and are actually pretty cute for what is essentially a wearable baby toy.

OK! So that’s all we got for today. Now it is your turn. What are some other great baby toys/tricks/products for 5+ month old babies? Your beach baby tips were SO helpful, because of weather we only spent one day in the pool but all of your diaper/sunscreen/toy tips were spot on. So help a sister out again!

Also…I enjoy doing these but they are time consuming. Is it worth it? Do y’all find this helpful or are the majority of you not into all the baby talk? Let me know!

Comments

1. Meg Little XO January 16, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Bailey, I love these baby guides/updates and I don’t even have a little nugget! I’d say they’re worth it if you enjoy sharing your Gracie experience :)

2. anne January 16, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Bailey, I love your baby posts! Hoping for a little one soon, so it’s great to hear other moms’ opinions on gear. Thanks for the info!

3. ERB January 16, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Love hearing about what you and Gracie are liking and not liking – I’m nowhere near having a bebe, so I have nothing to contribute in terms of recommendations, but it’s nice to have your information available!

4. Meagan January 16, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Oh Lord, are they worth it?? Are you kidding? I don’t even have kids and just spent 20 minutes reading the post and clicking all the links making mental notes for the future.

5. allison January 16, 2012 at 1:39 pm

sooo helpful!! baby on the way and yours and MODG’s lists have been great in helping me figure out the registry list :)

6. Jessica January 16, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I love your baby posts! I’m due in May so I’m right in the middle of researching and trying to decide what is the best to buy. I trust your opinion :)

7. Carrie January 16, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I know she’s still little and only doing stage 1 food but you should check out Ella’s Kitchen and HappyBaby foods. They have a lot of really interesting combinations, especially as you get into stage 2 (spinach, apple and rutabaga anyone?). Another great find- baby leg warmers! Aside from being super cute they’re great when they start crawling to keep their knees protected. I have a friend who puts them under her daughters skirts and it’s beyond adorable. I also love the Mozart Cube and think Gracie might too given her love of the Take Along Tunes. The Baby Einstein Bendy Ball is also fun. And while she’s still too small for it now, a stylish lady like Gracie needs some fabulous wheels- the Driving Ms. Speedster from Land of Nod http://www.landofnod.com/ride-ons/toys-gifts/driving-ms.-speedster/f7531 (I have assembled this and it’s really pretty easy and it’s a great 1st birthday gift because of the “1″ on the side). I also love Present Time’s Pink Rocking Vespa. Lastly, as she gets older and you start accumulating a ridiculous amount of bath toys the Boon Pod Bath Toy Scoop is great for keep the tub clutter free. Hope this helps!

8. Allison January 16, 2012 at 2:40 pm

So cute! We call our little girl’s bouncer activity thing-y her office too :)

9. abo January 16, 2012 at 2:41 pm

nowhere near having a baby and i read every word!! thanks for taking the time to write it!! your blog is gold.

10. Lauren@BaylorSays... January 16, 2012 at 2:48 pm

what do you mean “I know, I know”?? Why on earth are you in a hurry to stop swaddling? She will probably be completely over it by 5 months anyway, don’t be in a hurry…you’re not going to swaddle her off to college. I probably bought 10 superfluous ones near the end, hoping and praying to get a few weeks extension, but to no avail. When they’re done, they’re done.

Those bibs rocked! Super great for restaurants too. Tipping gets pretty crazy when you’ve got a babe.

11. Callie January 16, 2012 at 3:05 pm

SO WORTH IT! I honestly write your suggestions down in my really cool “baby notebook.” :)

12. Carrie January 16, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Also, I agree that there’s nothing wrong with still swaddling her (if she’s cozy and sleeping why not?) but have you considered the HALO sleep sacks to transition her out?

13. Emilie Wallace January 16, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Hey Bailey! Just wanted to let you know that I LOVE your baby posts they are so super helpful and I hope you keep them coming. I’m going straight to my registry right now and adding everything you just mentioned. Thanks!!

14. Ash January 16, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I swaddled till my little guy started rolling over- about 6 months. One thing I did was to swaddle one arm out to help ease the transition to no swaddle. Didn’t read it anywhere, just decided to see if it worked and we didn’t have an issue once we switched to sleep sacks. I did put him in sleep sacks for naps around 4.5 months and used miracle blanket at night. If swaddling still works, by all means, do it. Youre the one losing all the sleep, not those “judging”. Also, we LOVE the take along tunes. I hum Mozart all the time :)

15. Rachael January 16, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Im taking notes- keep it all up!

16. Molly January 16, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Love this! We have a little gal who is almost 5 months and is in LOVE with the Baby Einstein toy also (we call it her “iPod”). We are just venturing into the solid food stage and have only tried rice cereal so far, so your suggestions are great! Keep the baby gear posts coming! :)

17. Ashley January 16, 2012 at 9:00 pm

i love your product/Gracie updates. Please keep them coming. I’m due in April and I cling to other mom advice out there…

18. Jen January 16, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Keep up the product baby posts. It is always fun to see products other moms love. Also check out the Boon flair highchair. It is a little pricey, but is very versatile. I have a 2 year old and still love it. It looks great, can be wheeled around which is great if you have tile or wood floors and is height adjustable so that you can wheel it straight to a counter or table without the tray attached and it will be the perfect height vs. booster seats.

19. Lindsey January 16, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Love, love Bailey!! I just went through the process of registering for our first baby (due June 23) and can’t tell you how much I appreciate REAL advice and recommendations from REAL moms! Great tips and definitely some things to add to the registry! Thanks! xo

20. Lauren January 16, 2012 at 10:39 pm

love the baby posts!! i was actually really worried that you wouldn’t do them anymore. so glad you are!

21. karin January 17, 2012 at 2:02 am

try the book super baby food to make your own food and freeze it in ice cube trays (there are special ones you can buy on amazon that has a lid that snaps on) – they you defost by cube 1-2 nights before in small tuperware container – it’s what i did with all 3 kids to make it by big batches. don’t worry we swaddled all our kids for longer than 5 months as the damn hands kept waking them up! good luck.
    ps – don’t buy a high chair – takes up too much space and the tray is cumbersome. buy the fisher price booster chair – it’s like a mini highchair that sits on a chair with a tray – we threw away our highchair and only used that

22. Ashley January 17, 2012 at 10:59 am

I am expecting my first baby — a mini dude — in March and I have loved reading your guides. I respect your opinions and general approach to parenting… so please keep it up!!!!

23. Kristen January 17, 2012 at 11:19 am

I LOVE these updates! I find them quite helpful and entertaining. Thanks!

24. jane January 17, 2012 at 11:45 am

BQM – i am wee-one-free, but think of these posts as research for a future career. if you’re feeling weary from all the ‘splainin’, maybe a bi-weekly/monthly series? you make it all look easy as pie.

25. Jennifer January 17, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Love the baby guides/tips! Keep them coming! Love your design stuff too!

26. Linnea January 17, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Love these posts! Super helpful!

27. Anna January 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Love the baby talk, even though I don’t have one or plan to have one…maybe ever! Love your blog and was so sad when you had to stop posting. Hilarious, educational..all that good stuff! Keep up the good work!

28. Kelley January 17, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Hey Bailey, I think I mentionded my friend Sarah forwarded your site—had to comment on this! Swaddling is the best—although my 21-month old is not swaddled, she does still don an Aden and Anais sleepsack. Well, we put her in it and if my husband’s got any say in it, she’ll be the only freshman in college with one…I fancy myself something of a stroller connoisseur and the BOB is great. Have you gotten one of the Bundle Me’s for the day or two of cold weather? Go for the toddler size so you can use it for longer! Also, get two of the clip-on, foam-blade fans for when it gets hot—one pointed on her, one on you! Love your posts.

29. Elizabeth January 17, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I’m loving all the baby posts & this is coming from a college student who is nowhere near having children!! I was actually afraid you wouldn’t do any baby posts so I’m glad that you are!!

30. Carolyn January 17, 2012 at 4:16 pm

FYI, I’m almost positive that the high chair (it’s from IKEA, right) was recalled. Nothing too scary, but you might want to look into it.

31. cynthia January 17, 2012 at 8:07 pm

We loved the Ikea highchair…So easy to clean (I would throw the top in the dishwasher for 10 minutes) and looks great. We had the Peg Perego fancy one and it was a hot mess – the grossest thing to clean – you have no idea what crap you find in those covers.

Our son was swaddled until 6 months and I swore by the miracle blanket, otherwise he would not sleep (and he was 9.2 at birth, so you can imagine at 6 months I needed something good). I also used for our daughter….

32. cynthia January 17, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Hi –

We loved the Ikea highchair – well priced, easy to clean (I would put the top in the dishwasher for 10 minutes) and looks great. We had the fancy Peg Perego and it was a hot mess, you have no idea what nasty crap gets in those covers.

Our kids loved to be swaddled until 7 months and I swear by the Miracle Blanket, it works (and our son was 9.2 at birth, so I needed something really good at 6 months for him). Your kids look a little like a burrito when swaddled in these, but they work!

33. Nicky January 18, 2012 at 10:01 am

I love all things from Giggle: http://www.giggle.com

Sleepsack: http://www.giggle.com/Halo-SleepSack-Wearable-Blanket-(Organic-Cotton)/ORGWB,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=giggle&q=sleepsack

ThinkBaby sippy cups are a great transitional sippy cup from bottle: http://www.giggle.com/thinkbaby-Polypropylene-Trainer Cup/PPSIPPY,default,pd.html?start=4&cgid=giggle&q=think baby

Baby Bjorn bibs are super duper easy bibs to wipe down. http://www.giggle.com/BabyBjorn-Soft-Bibs—Set-of-2/11415,default,pd.html?start=6&cgid=giggle&q=baby bjorn

I also love all California Baby products. http://www.amazon.com/California-Baby-Sensitive-Shampoo-Bodywash/dp/B002VARN3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326745805&sr=8-1

Can’t believe sweet baby Grace is 5 months already! Keep the baby posts coming!

34. Kelly January 18, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Hi Bailey…. I have been following your blog for a long time and have never commented…but couldn’t resist on this one. I have a 7 month old girl and found putting her in her high chair (I started in the Bumbo too) helped a lot with feeding…for some reason it got her to focus more. We use the Stokke high chair and love it. Also, Happy Baby Organic Guide to Baby’s First 24 Months is a great book for feeding. It talks about making EASY puree’s and recipes. I found my daughter Sloane started eating MUCH better when I mixed foods….. Avacado, Banana and 2 TB of Oatmeal. She loves it. Foods at the early stage are super strong to babies so mixing them dilutes the flavor some. Good luck!!!

35. Lindsay January 18, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Thank you for these posts!! While I am nowhere near entering Babyville yet myself, my friends are moving there in droves. Your posts are the perfect gift guides, and I love reading them too!

36. Ashley January 19, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I love these posts! I’m due in February and getting everything ready! Your posts are really helpful! Keep them coming!

37. Lindsey E. January 19, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Love reading what works for everyone! Julia is 16 months and let me tell you…the Tiny Diner placemat to match your bib is KEY. Once the Gracie girl hits cheerios, goldfish, chicken and the real deals…this thing will save your life! I bet I have used that placemat out no less than 1000 times since she was 9 months and eating “table food”…whatever that means! Cheers!

38. therobynnest January 19, 2012 at 8:48 pm

That baby einstein classic music player (I think that’s a version of it that you posted?) is one of three battery powered toys we own. It’s wonderful and non-irritating. We also have the BOB (couldn’t live without it) and wanted our older to love the bouncer, but he just didn’t want to be left anywhere. If you have a baby #2, think about the Chariot Cougar 2 bike pod that converts to a trailer, a fixed-wheel jogger, or swivel wheeled stroller for 2.

I wrote a toddler toy guide the other day:

39. Archana January 25, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Love ur baby guides…keep the baby posts coming!!!

40. Katie March 6, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Hi Bailey!
    Just wanted to say thank you so much for doing these guides – we are expecting our first on July 7th (a girl!) and I’ve pretty much registered for everything in your guides :) So…THANK YOU!
    xo.
    PS: Gracie is SO ADORABLE! duh-town.