Would you rather…

…Make out with Carrot Top for 27 minutes or sweat cheese for a year?

That’s a tough one, no?

But our real predicament is a lot less foul and has to do with the seating situation in our kitchen. When Pete and I moved in together, and in Chicago, we had Louis Ghost Chairs around our table and Pete superhated them. I kept explaining that they were awesome designer and fancy and cool but he was all they are plastic and hurt my bottom and they are ugly and I hate them. Which is annoying, but he also lets me paint the majority of our house pink and stuff so if this is the one thing he can’t handle, fine. We sold ‘em. But now we need to replace them.

And I can’t decide betwixt these:
Eames molded plastic chairs in the red/tomato/orange color

OR OR OR

I found six vintage tulip armchairs for almost the same price per chair as the eames molded guys, which is an awesome deal for real deal saarinen.

Normally I would be like, duh, go with the great deal on the saarinen. But our table is a saarinen tulip table and I’m concerned it will look too matchy matchy.

I think I know what I am going to do…

…But I always like to consult you guys on my big decisions.

So.

What do you think?

Comments

1. Diana January 24, 2012 at 7:36 am

I don’t like tulip chairs. They take up a lot of space (visual space at least). I also wonder how easy they are to get in and out of- once you sit, do you have to scoot the chair in close to the table? How do you do that with the big base?

2. Lisa January 24, 2012 at 9:27 am

Let your husband sit in them and pick the one that doesn’t hurt his bottom?

I like the Eames for the non-matchiness, but I feel like they are not all that comfortable after a while. The tulips also have a cushion, for additional non-bottom-hurtyness.

3. Sarah January 24, 2012 at 9:29 am

There is a restaurant that we go to that has the Tulip tables and chairs and it’s nearly impossible to scoot your chair close enough to the table to eat…so annoying. They then replaced the chairs with 4 legged options and it’s still kind of awkward, but better. So my vote is for the Eames…but I’d make sure you can get close enough to the table in them first. I know you are going for the aesthetic, but it’s gotta be functional too, no?

4. Liz January 24, 2012 at 10:02 am

1) I’d rather make out with carrot top. Sweating cheese for a YEAR is a really long time.
    2) Go for the tuplips! The cushions make them less matchy with the table than on their own, and Pete won’t complain about his bottom.

5. Elizabeth January 24, 2012 at 10:17 am

I’m with Liz. Make out with carrot top. I don’t like cheese.
    As for the chairs, we currently have both styles somewhere in our house, and we hate both of them equally. The tulip chairs were in my parents first house and although they are nice to look at, they are a brat to slide close to a table…as in, it’s easier to move the table than the chair. The Eames are easier to slide, but not very comfortable, and i’m going to be honest, you being a shorty like me, I slide back in the chair and my feet don’t hit the ground. You can’t really sit on the edge of the chair b/c of the dip.
    So yeah, I wasn’t much help. I probably would look for chairs like your old ones that you could be a cushion in. Or do a built in booth style thing.

6. Design Darling January 24, 2012 at 10:23 am

Real deal! Then hang a big chandelier and one of your fab oil paintings (envisioning the one from your bathroom in Rue) to get rid of the matchy-matchy vibe. Oh, and as much as it pains me, Carrot Top.

7. Caroline January 24, 2012 at 10:26 am

YES YES YES on the tulip chairs — DUH you can SPIN in them. That’s your answer right there!

but having read some of the above comments, it makes me think you should keep looking if neither are very comfortable. You might have the same problem with Pete not liking them AGAIN!

8. Kristen January 24, 2012 at 10:38 am

I like the Eames, but I’m a sucker for orange. I think the all-tulip will be a touch too matchy-matchy, but that’s just me. Either choice will look fab!

9. Sam January 24, 2012 at 10:56 am

Since most comments are eliminating both chairs, I will suggest you do wishbone chairs in a red or orange. I have four in my breakfast nook next to a platner table and they are so comfortable. If you still can’t decide- take Pete to dwr and have his tush decide.

10. Cat January 24, 2012 at 11:17 am

I am kind of with the other gals about the scooting! You’re 5 foot nothing and lezbehonest… Midgies like you and I aren’t bodybuilders. They seem so heavy, and when you’re famished moving those honkers could be quite tricky.

Also, I would get blackout drunk and smooch the Ging. Cheese grosses me out.

11. Inka January 24, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I don’t think The Tulip chairs will be too matchy, I love tulip chairs! And carrot top because that only lasts for 27 minutes the cheese is for a year. And I don’t wish to smell like cheese more than usual ;)

12. koren January 24, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I would go for the Saarinen chairs. Don’t worry about being matchy-matchy. They are classics.
    I LOVE that pic of the blue-scaley matching wallpaper and Saarinen chair upholstery. Who makes that fabric? Designer??

13. Bre January 24, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Not that I’m an authority on interiors, or that you’d care even if I was, but I vote for matchy-matchy!

14. Peggy January 24, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I love the Tulip chairs. However, if you are concerned about being matchy-matchy, you might want to look into Cherner chairs with the Saarinen table (you can find them at DWR). We have Cherner chairs around a vintage french table and they are comfortable, not like squishy upholstered chairs, but we’ve lingered in them for hours at dinner parties. Let the buns decide, your table is so pretty that anything will look good with it!

15. Rachel January 24, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Unrelated to this post, but…

16. Hayley January 24, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Those both look like they might not be easy on the buns… I’d let Pete go and sit in some. He seems like such a sweetie!

17. K January 24, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Cheese, as long as it is brie or shadows of blue.

The tulip chair. My girlfriend has the eames (in fact everyone does) and they are a pain in the ankle, literally. Everytime I sit at her table I get a bruised ankle (I am an exceptionally slow learner). And despite your protestations you are a skinny mini and you can swivel that tulip around and sit on one of those sweetsoft babies easily. And most importantly they look better, and are orginal.

18. Jess January 24, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Keep looking. The tulip is too matchy-matchy, and didn’t you say he hated the other plastic? Probably he will hate the new plastic as well.

19. Kimberley January 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Neither :( Yes they both look great but they both have functionality problems which Pete will still hate. I am just about to sell my second set of eames dining chairs (hopefully this time I have learnt my lesson!) because they are SO uncomfortable. Keep looking, get something that is really comfortable and super cool. I know you can find it!

20. caitlindentino January 24, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Not the eames. We had them for a hot minute and they felt a bit too short for most tables. Especially with the dip in the seat and not being terribly tall, I needed a booster to reach the table. And they aren’t particularly comfortable either.

Back to the drawing board, perhaps?

21. whitney January 24, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Hmm…. Would this cheese be eatable? JK!

I’m so bummed Pete was anti ghost chaire because I’m hunting one for my desk right now. Did you think it was un-comfy Miss Bailey?

22. janebird January 24, 2012 at 7:32 pm

quel type de cheese? like, more of a gruyere? it’s totally subtle, and carrot top is ickfuglestein. anyway, oooh i would loathe dragging tulips all about just to sit down. bit if we’re aiming for weight loss, perhaps all that heavy lifting not being able to reach the table is the solution after all?

23. Cynthia January 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Carrot top…at least he is funny.

Go for the Eames – I like the tension between the tulip table base and the chrome triangular legs of the Eames. If you had another table (like a parsons table or long farm table ala Windsor Simth) I would say for the Tulip chairs.

Hope you and Gracie had a fun weekend together!

24. Mackenzie January 24, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Carrot top—Love gingers.

Go for the Saarien. It’s such a classic look. It’s like this—a sweater set from Express is like gross and grandma-ish. But if someone put a Chanel sweater set in front of me, I’d be like YES PLEASE!

The Saarien chairs and tulip table are the Chanel sweater set of breakfast room acoutremal. It’s good matchy.

Plus, think of all the fabric possibilities!

25. Ellen January 24, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I was going to suggest the Cherner chairs, and then saw Peggy’s comment suggesting the same. The chairs in Stella orange would be awesome. I’ve seen Cherner chairs around a tulip table with a white marble top — lovely.

26. cynthia January 24, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Another favorite is the Verner Panton chair, which would look so great and easy to move around.

I love the colors they come in…I recently ordered one for my little girls vanity.

27. Michelle January 25, 2012 at 9:31 am

I would say by aesthetics, the eames, but from others’ comments, sounds like they are not as functional as they look. Cherner has cushioned varieties! Could be a nice compromise of style and comfort for you and Pete? And I’m going against the grain here and opting for cheese sweat. Carrot Top totally grosses/creeps me out. Sick.

28. Meghan January 25, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Love the looks of them both but have never pulled the trigger on buying either since I lump them in the same category at Pete–uncomfortable. I like the looks of a more rugged chair against the Saarinen?

29. ann February 13, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Ok Love the tulip chairs and that table is my drool fantasy table some day when I have a grown up house like your’s. I’m a young forty LOL and still live in a beach shack. I say don’t do either and go with some cool vintage chairs with a nice fabric to break it up – love the contrast of wood or wicker chairs mixed with the table to break it up.