Mr Banks Before&After: Entryway, Living, Dining Rooms

Everyone who has already left a nice comment on D*S, or here, or written me an email…I want to kiss you all hard. And I am a fantastic kisser, so consider yourselves well-made-out-with.

Also, I was so nervous to show you all the pics. As all of you longtime readers know, I was definitely going through my blue period while doing this place, and I think the space reflects my optimism and intense desire for a joyful outcome to our tough time for our family. Even more so than Chicago, this house feels really personal to me. Distracting myself during the tough time designing this place is what got me through it, and I guess I was nervous about how nekkid showing Mr Banks it to the world was going to make me.

But y’all like it, y’all really like it.

Even foxes who I love like Amber like it.

And my heart feels so full. So thank you.

And seriously, the D*S post was awesome and such an honor, but was truly a “peak”, there is so much more where that came from. I think it might take a week or two to go through all the before & afters…but I am going to try to combine them into bigger posts to get through them faster. Today, starting with the entryway, living, and dining rooms.

For those that might be new here, I spent a year renovating our last house in Chicago which we lovingly called Clifford: The Big Red House, and it was featured in Rue Magazine last spring. If you want to refresh yourself on what our living&dining situation was in Chicago, here is the post on that. The day we did the photography for the Rue feature, I had a routine ultrasound and found out that our baby was sick, and we quickly made the decision to sell our house in Chicago and move back to Texas to be closer to my home and the experts in our baby’s condition. We found this house, which I dubbed George Banks because of its charming Father of the Brideness, began renovating and moved in 6 months later. It has been complete madness, and I am so grateful to now be reveling in the afterglow of all of that.

Revel with me!

Entryway

The dining room, living room, and entryway (plus 2 bedrooms upstairs) were all original to the house built in the 1930s. The rest of the house was remodeled and added on to and that is what we had to redo, but we really didn’t have to do much in the original rooms. The entry was kind of a depressing non event, nothing really wrong with it, we just repainted, restained, and replaced the light fixture.

Entry Before

Entry After

Entry Before

Entry After

Some more afters…

Botanical pictures from Furbish, table from GardenHouse, Topiaries from Design Darling. The pewter oyster shell is a candy dish that my Grandmother bought with her first paycheck when she was 20 and working at a department store. She used to always have it filled with candy in their living room, and she would catch me trying to sneak a Krackle or some other awesomely old lady candy often. She gave it to me for my 20th Birthday, and it is one of my most treasured things.

Living Room

Besides the entry, this was the room we did the least amount of work in. Just stained the floors, painted, replaced the lighting and removed the shutters.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

…and another view

Before

After

I love this room because it is basically the exact same things from our house in Chicago (new ottoman, gun chairs moved from the dining room, painting from the kitchen, and the trunk from the playroom) we just painted the walls the most incredible pink, Colonial Rose by Fine Paints of Europe, added a new rug to fit the space, and a different light fixture and it feels like a totally different room! I was going to recover the couch and chairs and go in a totally different direction but MFAMB told me she would beat my ass, and I believed her. I am so glad I listened though, I love getting to watch the pieces evolve.

Dining Room

The dining room needed the most work of these three rooms because of the crazy built ins surrounding the space. No problem, ripped those out, stained, painted, replaced the lighting, and added some china cabinets and it is a totally different space!

Before

After

Before

After- The china cabinets are from Ethan Allen, I just had them painted white on the outside, and a great coral glossy pink inside.

…And a detailed view.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

I love the dining room, again, because of how much stuff we reused from Clifford, and yet how different it feels. It is the same dining table, and chairs- the chairs were painted and recovered. Same buffet, new china cabinets and chandelier. It is the brightest happiest room, and the lighting at night for dinner parties is so sparkly.

OK! So that is all for today. Sheesh. That felt like a lot. I might have to break the rest of the posts into smaller bits to get through them all. Anyway, I hope you like getting to see more detail and different angles of the rooms, feel free to ask any questions in the comments and I will answer them as best I can!

Tomorrow we will have the kitchen and bar before & afters…

all the pretty pictures courtesy of Paige Newton Photography

Comments

1. Emily V. June 5, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Just when I thought it could’nt get any better….and it does. Fantastic!

2. Allison June 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm

It is truly beautiful – a perfect mix of beautiful pieces, stunning details and a huge dose of personality. It feels happy! Thanks for sharing – Allison

3. Raiana June 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm

YESS!! I literally JUST commented on how i would LOVE to see the before and afters on D*S, and then you brilliant woman have them here. Thank you! You did an incredible job, and totally pulled off all the risks you took – which is soo amazing. LOVE IT. I am obsessed with your bathrooms, and am going to straight up copy that amazing ball fringe edged shower curtain. Obsessed. Congratulations on your amazing home, and all you success!

Raiana
    lifeSTYLE
    Rai Atelier – Etsy Shop

4. Emily June 5, 2012 at 5:27 pm

LOVE it all, but especially the entryway & the dining room! Thanks for sharing.

5. Keely June 5, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Its SOOOO amazing Bailey. What a transformation. You really made it feel so light and fresh and cozy all at the same time. The subtle accent pieces here and there that are really fun [the gun chairs] are just so unexpectedly perfect! And that pink that you used in your living room – I’ve been toying with the idea of it for my entry for a while and you have me completely sold! Its amazing! Congratulations!

6. tobe | BIA June 5, 2012 at 6:11 pm

bailey, i know you are getting a crazy barrage of emails, so i’ll get it if this gets lost, but i MUST know what color you used in your dining room. MUST. it’s just what i want in my family room.

your home is GORGE GORGE GORGE, btw. stupid gorge. ox

7. Jacqueline June 5, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Amazing job. Incredible. I love just the way you make things quirky, glamorous and beautifully classic all in one with COLOR. I love color and it seriously brightens everything up. Nice work!!

8. MFAMB June 5, 2012 at 7:57 pm

sigh.

it’s so pretty. and i am with tobe. what is the damn dining room paint color?!!

your house is a unicorn.

9. tracey June 5, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I just found your gorgeous blog via another blog and am so happy as I am now a very happy follower…so inspiring! Have a lovely week xx

10. tracey June 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I just found your gorgeous blog and am now a very happy follower…so inspiring beautiful work! Have a lovely week xx

11. tracey June 5, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I just found your gorgeous blog and am now a very happy follower…so beautifully inspiring! Have a loively week xx

12. Allison June 5, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I could sit and look at these pictures all day long. Your home is stunning and your use of color is bold and inspiring. Keep ‘em comin!

13. Elizabeth June 5, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Congrats!! I’m not the least bit surprised that it’s so stunning, but I’m just amazed that you can find such great painters, upholsterers, drapery workroom, etc. in such a short time. I’ve lived here forever and can’t find the right people.

14. Emily O'Brien June 5, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Absolutely stunning!! Cannot wait for more photos! Love everything!

15. Molly L June 6, 2012 at 2:29 am

So I’m studying for the bar (which is why I am just now commenting at 11:27 PM — aka I read your blog when I get done studying aka I love your blog so much), and George Banks has just blown my mind. I love EVERYTHING about it, but, like most have said before, the best thing is seeing Gracie :)

16. Rachel June 6, 2012 at 4:30 pm

The colors are beautiful!! thank you for sharing.

17. bianca June 6, 2012 at 6:07 pm

omg. is that a lalanne sheep chair?

18. bianca June 6, 2012 at 6:09 pm

omg. is that a lalanne shep chair?

19. Becca Blue June 6, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Hi! I am IN CRAZY LOVE with your house. (And can openly admit I have a small case of lighting envy towards you.) thank you so much for sharing everything (house, home and, well, personals too….) Man, figures I didn’t find you until now (am in Chicago) but so grateful that I did. It’s all too yummy really. And I love that the picture is called “smoking pussy”, for some reason that makes me like everything a wee bit more!

20. Maury @ Life on Mars June 7, 2012 at 8:07 am

Amazing!!! Such beautiful transformations! You are incredibly talented.

I’m a new follower! I found you through All Things Bright and Beautiful.

21. Kristen June 7, 2012 at 9:46 am

I love your house! You did such a lovely job and are so talented! I’m so impressed and can’t wait to see more!

22. Jen June 7, 2012 at 11:14 am

Where, oh where, did you get your gorgeous new living room rug? I have been looking for that exact one!

23. Jen June 7, 2012 at 11:15 am

24. Jen June 7, 2012 at 11:22 am

OK, love love love your living room rug and I’ve been looking for one just like it! Where oh where did you find it?

25. Tori June 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Just saw your blog on another and am in love with your decor! I just moved as well and this is so inspiring, you share my love for bright color! Can you please tell me where you got the amazing entry way chandelier/light fixture with flowers? If it is one of a kind, i would love your advice on other great lighting sources! Thank you!

26. Tori June 7, 2012 at 3:18 pm

27. Kate June 11, 2012 at 1:53 pm

The yellow dining chairs are amazing, and I love all of the upholstery in the living room — your house has blown me away, so much talent!

28. Carly June 15, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Your mix of colours and patterns is so exciting and charming…It’s pretty special to get things to look fresh and modern and 50s and retro all at the same time! Can you please tell me where to find that amazing floral printed velvet on the armchairs in the living room?

29. Nicole June 21, 2012 at 10:01 am

Hi Bailey! Sorry I’m late to ask you this but I’ve been meaning to ask you forever- where is your hunter green sofa from? And also the navy velvet? They are both to die for!

thank you!!
    nicole

30. courtney July 26, 2012 at 11:41 am

Love the coral pink in the china cabinets (and everything else!)- any luck finding the color?

31. Shannon February 9, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I love what you did to the floors as we are looking to do something similar to ours. Did you have them refinished or entirely new flooring put in? How much per sq ft for the floors?

32. Tristan June 29, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Can you please share the fantastic coral paint in your china cabinets?