Mr Banks Before&After Playroom and Laundry Room

I love the before and after of the playroom because it shows what a big difference some paint can make, and also because I basically just reused the concept I came up with for the family room in Chicago, and took it to the next level. If you want to see our first go at this, here is the post on our Chicago playroom.

Playroom

Before

After

And a close up…

…and another angle

Before

After…The gold disco ball is everything.

Before

After

Laundry Room

Before: Our garage is attached and you enter into the house through the laundry room. Before it was just poorly laid out, and there was oddly a toilet in there with no door that was open to the playroom. We closed off that access and changed up the floor plan…

After…So now the wall that it shares with the garage has the washer, dryer, and sink. Obviously these aren’t styled and pretty. Laundry room is for real life, always.

Before

After…And this side has a mudroom bench with cubbies. I am showing you this to keep it real…Not everything is perfect and finished. I want to get a cushion made for the bench, and hooks…And to clean all the junk out of here. But I still love this room, it is so functional, but still not bad to look at! One of these days I will get it properly fluffed and show y’all. And then I will be one of those people who even my laundry room is fancy like in those show houses.

Nah.

As always, I will do my best to answer whatever questions you leave in the comments.

Monday we will do the upstairs guest beds and baths!

Comments

1. Courtney June 8, 2012 at 8:08 am

I adore all of Mr. Banks. You have a great aesthetic, and I especially love the whimsy! May I ask about the little cow in the playroom–would you mind sharing where you found that? I think my little boy might enjoy such a thing…

2. Maury @ Life on Mars June 8, 2012 at 8:41 am

That playroom is FANTASTIC! I love the bold color on the entertainment center.

Also, the laundry room is still pretty awesome, especially since it looks like you actually use it to do laundry. I like the color of your cabinets. I’ve been thinking about painting my bathroom cabinets green but wasn’t sure about it.

3. Gracie June 8, 2012 at 8:44 am

I cannot believe that playroom! Amazing! And I love the kelly green laundry room – and that floor! Can’t believe we have to wait until Monday for more!

4. Jhatt June 8, 2012 at 8:47 am

I love love love that navy couch! Its to die for! And all those Jonathan Adler pillows… you’re gifted my friend!

5. Tiffany Richey June 8, 2012 at 8:51 am

Amazing job! You are right, a little paint can go a long way!

6. Erin June 8, 2012 at 9:01 am

Ok these two rooms might be my favorite! To die for! What is the paint color you used in the playroom on the builtins and trim??

7. LindsB June 8, 2012 at 9:06 am

I’m going to be so sad when I sign on first thing in the morning and there are no more George Banks updates to see. But in the meantime I’m totally eye f*cking that family room and laundry room, only in a good way though. I just love the painted trim and the green laundry- total hotness!

PS- I know we dont know each other and I totally just got fresh with your house, please excuse my rudeness :)

8. katelyn June 8, 2012 at 9:11 am

pb is one of my fav blogs, so i’m trying to be less lurky jerky about leaving comments. this warranted it though. the couch and the curtains = unreal. amazing, beautiful job, bailey!

9. Loren June 8, 2012 at 9:16 am

I want to live in your laundry room.

10. Danavee June 8, 2012 at 9:39 am

Insane. What is the brand/color of your green laundry room paint???

11. Nell June 8, 2012 at 10:01 am

What is the color you used on the trim and built-ins in the playroom? It’s ALL amazing!

12. Jess June 8, 2012 at 10:08 am

Fabulous, as expected! I’m just curious but did you consider using the doggie wallpaper in the laundry area/mud room? I love that green paint, I hope you let us know the brand and name.

13. Catherine June 8, 2012 at 10:17 am

Love everything, as always. I want to ask about the colored trim though. How does that work logistically? The transitions between rooms with different colored trim–where do you draw the line: inside the door frame? I’ve always wondered about this, because I adore the look, but I have a hard time envisioning how it works in real life, since obviously you wouldn’t want coral trim through your whole house… Teach me your ways, Bailey!

14. Maggie June 8, 2012 at 10:24 am

I have LOVED looking at all of these pictures! Thanks for sharing!

15. elz June 8, 2012 at 10:37 am

I can’t stand it any longer. Your house and style are to die for! Every day I think “This is the best room yet,” then you surprise me with more. I LOVE it all. I adore the mini Eames chair and navy couch and cushions here. Plus, the disco ball. Come ON! Now I want to redo my entire house!

16. Keely June 8, 2012 at 10:51 am

This is just so inspiring Bailey! You are so so so incredibly talented! My husband and I recently finished a pretty major renovation on our house as well, and I still have a few rooms to iron out, and your boldness with color and pattern has totally inspired me, one space is even better than the next – ok, not really, they’re all absolute perfection :) – thanks for sharing every little detail!

17. Jenny June 8, 2012 at 11:12 am

these before and afters just keep getting better and better!! You did such a phenomenal job, once again! You definitely inspire me to take risks and have fun when decorating! Now I know your home is styled for the shoot but I am a new mom, do you have any tips for keeping a “tidy” and well managed home with a little one thrown in the mix?

18. Brooke @ ShemmyShake June 8, 2012 at 11:24 am

Are you serious with your house??? It really is magnificent! I wish I could move in with you. :) You definitely know your talent and how to use it to its fullest potential. Thanks for sharing all the great photos!

19. Katie June 8, 2012 at 11:34 am

Your home is absolutely UN-REAL! I love everything about it!

20. Andie sailer June 8, 2012 at 12:44 pm

LOVE! Most playrooms are usually so stupid I walk in to gorgeously decorated houses and then their playrooms have rainbows and crap all over the walls! I love that couch I might cry if you tell me it’s vintage reupholstered or discontinued!

21. Lizzy June 8, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Bailey- your house is amazing. somehow you decorated your house to look like my dream house and I didn’t even know what my dream house looked like before. You are so talented.

Also @ andie Sailer- your comment made me laugh out loud- rainbows and crap- SO SO funny, thanks for the belly laugh- I know exactly what you mean.

22. Jenni H. June 8, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I love the playroom! I have been waking up so excited every morning in anticipation of what you’re going to show us next! Great job!

23. andrea June 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm

love it all! so fun and stylish! can you share where you got the gold disco ball…so cool!

24. laura June 8, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Gorgeous! I’ve been looking all over for a good coral paint color, and you nailed it! Could you share the manufacturer and the color?

25. Kathy June 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Amazing! Love the playroom, it is so elegant, functional and fun! Gracie is so lucky she has that amazing playroom. It flows nicely with the rest of the house. And the laundry room-gorgeous! LOVE the green cabinets. They make doing laundry actually fun! You’re so inspiring!

26. Susan June 8, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Gorgeous! NEED the paint colors from the laundry room and built ins. Also, what is the window dressing situation in the family room? Is that a roller shade under the pelmet? Am looking for window ideas for a very large window in my family room (9 feet by 6 feet and UGLY)

27. Celine June 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm

You know what is bliss? It’s sitting down with my coffee reading the next post about Mr. Banks. That playroom is outrageous. You have singlehandedly convinced me that a cobalt blue velvet couch and gold disco ball are non-negotiables. And that is no small feat. xoxo

28. Deb June 8, 2012 at 2:51 pm

You wouldn’t be able to get rid of neighborhood kids when the come over to play…..Gracie is truly a lucky girl. Would you mind sharing where you got that amazing blue sofa/sectional. I have been searching hi & lo for one for my living room.

29. Elizabeth @ The Litt June 8, 2012 at 2:51 pm

There aren’t even words! Amazeballs is all I can come up with. So very amazeballs!! You are my color hero! :) What is the green you have in the laundry room?

30. Elizabeth June 8, 2012 at 2:52 pm

There are no words. Amazeballs!! Simply Amazeballs!! You are my color hero. And what is the name of that green in the laundry room?

31. chari June 8, 2012 at 4:15 pm

New reader here! (came over from Amber Interiors)… Girlfriend your style is FEARLESS! love it :) :) So refreshing to see even bright colors on trim!! You are bringing color back like JT brought sexy back. I will admit that I am insanely jealous over your whole house!! raaaaawr

32. Elisa June 8, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Bailey, you could totes rent out your laundry room to college students! Truly that gorgeous. You’ll have to update us when you add the hooks and cushion.

33. meredith June 9, 2012 at 12:03 am

that playroom is BANANAS. i am in love. would you be so kind as to share the paint colors you used on the walls, cabinetry and trim in the playroom? it’s all just so fabulous i can’t take my eyes off these pictures. thank you for sharing!

34. meredith June 9, 2012 at 12:11 am

your.house.is.amazing.
    THAT PLAYROOM– Oh MY! I am in love. Would you be so kind as to share the paint colors you used on the walls/cabinetry and trim? I can’t take my eyes off the photos– SO FABULOUS!

35. Linda@Lime in the co June 9, 2012 at 9:23 am

JUST found you….what a joy! Colorificly colorful and unabashed! Now…need to go look at all of the other parts of your casa.

Silly question…but I am assuming Mr. Banks is your homes name…or what?

36. Laura June 9, 2012 at 9:27 am

Actually the playroom is a repeat of the Chicago genius so I expected nothing less….EXCEPT…I love how the built-ins are re-imagined here – tidied up and perfectly tailored to suit the electronics. AND the Dutch half door between the kitchen and the playroom turns the entire space into a kid-safe play pen – which will make toddler raising 75% easier. Actually it will make teenager wrangling easier too, come to think of it. Don’t finish the basement, don’t allow them upstairs and just lock off the whole bar corridor et voila!

37. Carol-Anne (Use The June 10, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I’ve just ‘discovered’ you and your work/blog…..and I’m now your biggest fan/stalker! Just devoted an entire post to my admiration of you, your home, your work….and even your adorable baby! (my ‘baby’ is a hulking teen- aged boy now!)

38. Katie Stassi-Scott June 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog, and I have to tell you how adorable you are! Your honesty is refreshing, your style is fun and your personality is precious. Thank you for sharing your journey! Best of luck! Katie

39. Lianna June 10, 2012 at 4:47 pm

All that color is HEAVEN! Love it!

40. Lianna June 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Love all the color! Heaven!

41. carak June 11, 2012 at 10:47 am

amazing. it’s so neat to see how you reworked your rooms from the chicago house. a lot of the same stuff, but it’s still so refreshing and exciting. that may be my favorite part. can you provide details on the kids table in the playroom? i have similar kids chairs and have been looking for a play table like it.

42. Joanne @ Homestyling June 11, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Kudos to you for not be afraid of color…my clients are so wary of color and I am going to show them your before & afters to make argument! Thanks for sharing!
    Joanne @ Homestyling101

43. Kate June 11, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I’m in love with your laundry room — one of my favorite colors!

44. Kay June 12, 2012 at 12:34 am

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a decanter of tongue depressors in the “styled” laundry room (not yours! the last pic). Your laundry room rocks! Doing chores is fun again!

45. Christina June 13, 2012 at 12:53 pm

46. Christina June 13, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I am breathless over the transformation you’ve achieved in your whole home. You clearly have talent oozing out of your pores. That sounds gross but it’s a good thing. I promise.

47. Keely June 14, 2012 at 3:38 am

I love the ‘mini’ mid century furniture! Could you Pleeese tell me where to find this? (love your spaces by the way! Absolutely gorgeous!)