Ok…Y’all were right…Sort of. A lot.

It has started to grow on me. Pun.

The overall length is still too short and so upsetting to me. For lots of reasons. Because I am ridiculous. Because hair is so weirdly personal, and I have had crazy long hair since I was 16, which I mean, I am 26 now so definitely it was time for a change, but such a big change is shocking.

AND AND AND I feel robbed because like my friend Alison mentioned in the comments, I DID want to do Locks of Love or something similar. I wasn’t ready to take that huge inches plunge yet, so the idea was to do a trim now and a chop suey in the Spring, but this lady stole a whole 8 inches from me and it did no one any good. Least of all my face.

SO, this is not another sads post, I am seeing the silver lining of the ‘do and namely it is this:

I have my hair in a pony tail 99% of the day painting furniture, playing with Gracie, cleaning the house, moving boxes, the occasional run, the hair is in a pony. NOW the pony looks fresh (if shrimpy) and the bangs give it some style and pizzaz. And I like that. It’s a good thing.

I am eating biotin and prenatals like candy, and bathing in Horse Shampoo 10x a day. Thanks for the tips and emotional support, guys. For real.

And there is that smile. Caused mostly by your kindness. Frown turned upside down. So until it grows out I will just keep it in a pony.

Because even though I am faking the smile here, this is how short it is. Consider the side by side. And recall that we agreed to 3 inches off.

Marcia Marcia Marcia.

Liz is such a Jan.

Have a fantastic weekend. Don’t get your hair cut. And don’t be a Jan.

xoxox

Comments

1. alison g. August 24, 2012 at 7:19 am

You look darling.
    Srsly.
    Sometimes I wonder why I even keep my hair long, since mine is in the ubiquitous Mom-pony as well.
    Yours is tempting me in the bangs dept. Hmm…..
    Ter um bom fin de semana, mea amiga!
    ag

2. caroline August 24, 2012 at 7:46 am

You look lovely like that!!! I’m glad you took the plunge and I think once you get used to the look you won’t want to go back to your former length.
    I did the same thing 2 years ago, got a big chunk cut off (I had asked for a little chunk) and at first I really missed it, but now I have style my hair really easily, it looks fresh and well kempt and never straggly and tired. And the good news is: it WILL grow back! So enjoy your lovely new style while it’s nice and fresh!

xx
    Caro

3. Jessica August 24, 2012 at 7:55 am

You look great! Now your hair is a good length to do a fun “sock” bun or top knot, before it was probably too long!
    The same thing happened to me right after I got married. I went in for a trim, I literally said “I just want enough to get the split ends off.” She cuts my hair with my back to the mirror and when I turned around it was 8 inches shorter!! And I still paid and tipped her! My husband’s exact words were, after a long pause, “It will grow back.” And it did, but I still feel your pain!!

4. Sarah @ BelleOnHeels August 24, 2012 at 8:32 am

Seriously dying over here from the “Liz is such a Jan”. Hysterical.

I love the cut! I think it’s super cute. If it makes you feel better, I started inhaling biotin and prenatals after an um….interesting highlights sesh and I love it now that a) it’s grown out a little and b) I’ve gotten more used to it.

Happy weekend!!

5. Kimberly A. August 24, 2012 at 8:37 am

I love the hair, and think it looks great!

6. Karen August 24, 2012 at 8:46 am

I absolutely love it Bailey! The shorter length is darling.

7. Nikki August 24, 2012 at 8:47 am

I think you look seriously gorgeous! The bangs really suit you and you look fresh and playful and so cute!

8. Melissa August 24, 2012 at 8:57 am

I actually think your new cut looks amazing!

9. Kate August 24, 2012 at 9:08 am

Sock Bun it! Or get the lazy person’s donut from H&M (same idea). The bangs are super cute btw.

10. Misty August 24, 2012 at 9:14 am

I cut my long hair (down to the middle of my back) off in 2008, short with bangs. My hair model was Katie Holmes when she had short hair. (Google Katie Holmes 2008 haircut) I cried for days and did not want to leave the house. I felt like my identity had been taken away when the hair was swept into the bin. I understand where you are – the haircut looks great but you don’t feel that you look like you.
    I learned a valuable lesson, cutting my hair a la Katie Holmes = bad idea.

11. Megan August 24, 2012 at 10:00 am

Bailey- I think it looks fantastic, so fresh and healthy! Like fo realz I kinda want to take that pic into my stylist….

12. Helen August 24, 2012 at 10:06 am

At least the hairdresser didn’t take it to an extreme Dorothy Hamill ‘do! Do you even know who she is? Google the gal. Mommy hood usually results in shorter hair except for a that couple of 50 yr old blondes you may see jogging around the ‘ hood waif thin!!!! Your do looks peppy; plus it’s good to have a new look as you embark on your career! Xoxo

13. Helen August 24, 2012 at 10:08 am

Ombré the ends!

14. Helen August 24, 2012 at 10:08 am

Go for the gold!

15. blythe August 24, 2012 at 10:14 am

i like it and what i say goes.

16. Cathy August 24, 2012 at 10:21 am

In the side-by-side pics, I LOVE the one on the left. You look adorable! Love the length and the bangs. Seriously…don’t fret. It’s more of a style now…you look really pretty!

17. Cathy August 24, 2012 at 10:24 am

Adorable!! Don’t fret, it looks so cute.
    Love the bangs (I am a fan of them and happen to think they add style and youthfullness!) You look really pretty, love the shorter length. :)

18. cara August 24, 2012 at 10:27 am

I think your look adorbs doll! Have a wonderful weekend!!
    Enter The 30 Day Cleanse Challenge!

19. Beth August 24, 2012 at 10:50 am

I think its precious!! Can’t wait to visit the new store!

20. Sonja August 24, 2012 at 11:12 am

Your hair looks sooo much better shorter. I mean, it’s not even short! You don’t want to get mistaken for one of those scary Mormon women with the super long hair and I love the bangs. I’m sure you were able to get rid of a ton of dead and split ends which I’m sure your hair needed.

21. lynngweeny August 24, 2012 at 11:13 am

You are adorable!!!!!!
    I think it looks so fresh and perky!

22. Koren August 24, 2012 at 11:29 am

If you really hate it, you could always get some extensions? I know it may sound tacky, but there are some amazing people who do it in LA and NYC. Lemme know if you want a name. I don’t have personal experience, but I’ve seen it done and it looks great. So sorry :( xoxo

23. Holtwood Hipster August 24, 2012 at 11:31 am

Girlfriend! You be looking totally hip and chipper with this new do. I might have to take your picture in and have my hair cut like yours.

24. Lisa August 24, 2012 at 11:43 am

It’s really pretty! Like someone above said, very fresh and stylish. You look great!

25. Amy August 24, 2012 at 11:47 am

First off, I think you look great! However, the most important thing is how you feel about your hair. All I have to say is I feel your pain. Yesterday, I went in for my usual style, which is similar to a longish bob. I walked out looking like the Long Island Medium. Not a good look. Needless to say, I got a lot of comments like, “Oh…you cut your hair. (insert dead silence)” I just take comfort in the fact that I am lucky enough to have a life where a bad haircut is a major problem. Hang in there and keep smiling!

26. Hayley Mann August 24, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Hello!!! You look adorable! I love the bangs and short hair more then I love the long (although you are a hot babe either way). So cute!!

27. Bessie August 24, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I have three things to say one:
    1. Your smile is so gorgeous, seriously.
    2. Love the Hair.
    3. Love your dress in the before picture. Would you mind sharing where you got it from?

28. Kat August 24, 2012 at 12:16 pm

It looks SOOOO cute in a ponytail!!!

29. Catie August 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm

You know, I think you look fabulous! While the before is great, the bangs really frame your face nicely. Good for you for taking a little risk with the hair!

30. Daily Cup of Couture August 24, 2012 at 2:17 pm

you look darling! I love the pony xx

31. Daily Cup of Couture August 24, 2012 at 2:17 pm

you look darling!!! I LOVE the pony!

32. Katie Rose August 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Oh, I just love it! So chic and modern. I know how it goes- when you feel like you got a bad haircut no one can convince you otherwise, BUT it really does look great.

33. Bre August 24, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I couldn’t write anything yesterday b/c I was so mad at Liz… and my mom always taught me if you don’t have something nice to say, then shut the hell up (side eye to the judgy haters). But OMG Bailey your new ‘do is supa cute! Hair cuts can be very scary and angsty for sure, but this is a good one! Have fun with it! :D

34. Meg August 24, 2012 at 2:51 pm

“Liz is such a Jan.”. HAAA! Dude you crack me up. My hair just got chopped wayyy shorter than yours. WTF! Hang in there and keep poppin those vitamins!

35. mich August 24, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Sonja,

Mormon women are not scary and do not have super long hair. Wrong religion. Get your info. straight so you don’t sound so ridiculously uninformed and prejudiced.

Bailey,
    Love your hair, love your style, love you!

36. Kkrs August 24, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Bailey,
    I love your haircut for real. It’s supercute and it is the perfect pony length. Makes a cute one… Not the long flds ponytail I am currently sporting. I just may need to follow suit!

37. Anne August 24, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I love it! The bangs, the chop…it is very fun! Bangs actually grow insanely fast bc a cm is noticeable. When I cut my bangs last fall, Nick S. said it looked like Florence from Florence and the Machine..It made me feel pretty cool, I’m not gonna lie. I think you look great!

38. marybeth August 24, 2012 at 7:52 pm

really look at the 2 pictures, you look so much better with the new cut, not that you looked bad before, I for one love it.

39. Jac August 24, 2012 at 8:09 pm

It’s hair. If it’s your biggest problem this week, or month….you’re one lucky girl.

40. robyn August 24, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Dude, you look so fresh. So hot mom.

And yes, to the Mormon comment by Sonja– it’s offensive to make any kind of remark about any religion, isn’t it? Regardless of you being way off base. Do you think scary Mormon women don’t like decorating blogs? Have you heard of Dooce? (JK, Dooce.)

41. Audrey August 24, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Um… I love it. Specifically, I love it on you.

I know what you mean though – you agreed to 3 inches and got 8. It’s like showing up to the airport with 2 carry-ons and 2 bags to check and being told you can only have 1 of each, but you’re going on vacation for a month and really need it all. Now, you have to go without the a lot of stuff you planned to have. In your case, it’s hair, and it does grow back (whew!), and in my case it was an excuse to buy more clothes. It’s all good in the long run, right? Maybe you could try extensions (I hear good things about the weave!).

42. Brooke August 24, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I love it! So much better than before. So glad you posted these pics. It’s still long too. Enjoy your new look.

43. Betty Baker August 24, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Hi sweetie – I am sorry but I have never seen anybody that suits bangs more than you do and the length is perfect – so there.

44. dana August 25, 2012 at 7:52 am

i’m just a lurker of your fab blog, but wanted to chime in with my two cents – i LOVE your haircut!! in a pony AND down – i think it looks fab and stylish and healthy and ….. etc etc etc :) but i DO understand your pain – i wore a hoodie (on my head!) for LITERALLY 24 hours and cried for 3 days after an unfortunate haircut (the lady gave me a mullet – and we were NOT in the 80′s!) … but it all worked out in the end :) anyway – you look great!!

45. Stephanie August 25, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Hair – great! Liz – putz! Today I had a lady (the cashier at Randall’s, no less) advise me that, for four months preggy, I have an awfully big tummy. I refrained from pointing out that she seems not to be pregnant at all, and she still wins the big belly contest. I bit my tongue. I’m not a Jan.

46. Candice August 26, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I think it looks adorable and chic! I hope you like it more each day!

47. Linda@Lime in the Co August 26, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Tons better this way!

48. Dana McDowell August 27, 2012 at 2:00 am

My hair is a bad length right now, but makes a darling pony. Sometimes, things work out in weird ways hehe.

49. Amber March 6, 2014 at 11:56 pm

How long did it take for these results? Did you get the Biotin supplement that comes with or without collagen?