This is kind of decorating…

I am so overwhelmed right now with getting everything ready for the brand and the store, and redoing our new house, and adjusting to my new ‘do (kidding, about that part). I haven’t really had time for my design work (thus the intern hiring, clients, I’m getting to you!). But this is kind of design work…I guess.

So we are back living at my Moms while we wait for our house to get finished. We are in the garage apartment where we brought Gracie home from the hospital and lived for a few months before we moved to Austin. And it is a garage apartment but it is fluffy, Gracie has her own bedroom, but it is still a garage apartment and we are tight on the space. The living area is all open to itself, so adding Gracie playroom functionality into kitchen/dining/office/living…It wasn’t working.

But Gracie’s bedroom used to be a guest room that we shoved a crib into, so I was a bit flummoxed on where to fit in Gracie play space.

But then we just decided eff it, we’ll store the bed in the garage, and use that space for her play area.

So before above…

And after!

I bought the floors tiles, the Ikea Expedit shelves I had in my old office and were in storage. The toys are Gracie’s…duh.

But please just BASK in the organization.

And it is SO much better, because most of this stuff was shoved into these big ol bins (below), but she couldn’t see it.

She plays so much more enthusiastically now that she can see her playthings.

I am not going to lie, it has been super gratifying getting to do our past two homes, but this little space might have been the most gratifying “decorating” I have ever done.

Gracie especially loves turning on her music dog…

…And then directing me to sing along with it.

The best part? She finds all of this enriching play time positively exhausting, and nap time is long. And I can work. And then when she wakes up we are both ready to play again!

Comments

1. Stacey C August 27, 2012 at 11:25 am

I love the space! Will you share where the cow bouncer toy is from? I have seen the Wahoo dogs but never a cow!

2. Jen August 27, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Ikea is an organized mom’s best friend :) Funny how we can decorate rooms and come up with thoughtful designs that both kids and adults can appreciate, but sometimes the cheap and cheery solution works best! Looks great. I know those singing puppy songs all too well ;)

3. Meghan August 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm

This is random but do you watch True Blood? They had a ‘buttering their biscuit’ quote on last night’s episode (and not in the making the bed kinda way… ;) and I thought of you! Best wishes on your new venture! :)

4. ecq August 27, 2012 at 1:39 pm

did you by any chance put the ikea shelf together when you bought it? i am debating buying it for my NY apartment and am nervous that i’m not going to be able to do it (not the handiest….)!

5. Helen August 27, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Bring that precious baby over to see me NOW!!! I’m going to eat her up she’s so scrumptious !

6. Carrie August 27, 2012 at 11:17 pm

What a perfect play space! So cozy and everything is so organized and accessible. Plus 3 Sprouts storage makes everything so whimsy.

7. Anika August 28, 2012 at 10:34 am

Super cute! I LOVE those animal tote bags!!!

8. caroline August 28, 2012 at 10:57 am

this is definitely decorating! it looks so great. how nice that your mom is able to put yall up for now! good luck with everything!

sweatshirt weather

9. caroline August 28, 2012 at 11:01 am

10. Jamie Herzlinger August 28, 2012 at 2:11 pm

OMG, that last image is so adorable! This place looks amazing!

Love, Jamie Herzlinger

11. Megan August 29, 2012 at 10:14 am

Will you please share where you found the handmade sewn stackable rings?