Baby Stuff 1 year+

Thanks for the feedback Friday, I hear ya. SO we are going to get back to the old days with a Baby Stuff post. I cannot believe that y’all would want baby advice from the mother of a child with a broken baby leg, but  I am happy you do. I haven’t done one of these since March which was 5-7 months. And I can’t really tell you what happened between then and now, in life or in baby stuff. But that’s ok, most baby stuff is just for parents to create the illusion of control, methinks. Illusion or not, feeling like you know what you are doing as a parent because you have the right sippy cup? I totally get it. So here are the things that have been working for us lately.

At 1 year we ditched the bottle. Which made me really sad at first, it seemed like such a big step away from babyhood. I had anxiety about it, and if Gracie would miss it. But she did not care at all. I tried weaning her, but she decided after a day she was just over it and it was sippy cups for life.

This is our favorite. Although sometimes it kind of gets a weird pressure issue and leaks? But it is sturdy, the weighted straw dangle thingy means it is good to the last drop.

I am not sure if I mentioned this one before, but she loved these eggs at like 6 months and still loves them.

Also this peculiar toy we were gifted around 6 months. You program it with your childs name and supposed favorite thing and he sings about them.

She loved it then, and is still obsessed with it. And it always freaks people out when Gracie’s toy calls her by her given name. Which is fun.

This one might blow your mind.

But a ball. A good, old fashioned ball. Gracie loves the dogs tennis balls which is disgusting. But any bouncy ball blows her mind.

This one is another kind of fancy and expensive “toy”.

Go to target. Or walmart. Or the dollar store. And procure yourself a large plastic pitcher with some sort of top.

Give pitcher to your child.

Watch as they put it on their head and crawl around. Hillarious.

Put all of their toys in it and shake it like a morocca. Hillarious. Turn it upside down and place pony gently atop it. Hillarious. You get the idea.

The best real presents Grace received were a few 1st Birthday gifts.

From her mommy and daddy. Classic. And she is legit obsessed. She likes to push it. Sit and have a quiet, reflective moment in it. Put her toys in and out of it. This was one of those few gifts that I built up in my mind to be so amazing that actually delivered.

This shopping cart…

She was given a few push toys and for some reason only had time for this one.

She likes to ride in it too.

As a rule I think electronic toys are kind of garbage. With the exception of this which saved our lives from 1-8 months. And the dog above. But otherwise, once they figure out the trick, babies are kind of over the electronics. Or at least mine is. The things that have been the most long term crowd pleasers have been things like blocks, balls etc. When she was brand new she would grab them, then chew on them, then stack them, throw them, and now she likes to put them away and dump them out. BUT this toy that her best friend Mary gave her for her 1st Birthday has been unexpectedly mind blowing.

It drives when you push a button and sings Old Macdonald, and then the animals make their animal sounds when you put them in their proper spot. I don’t know why, but she has been playing with this one non stop through several battery changes for months now and her enjoyment has not dampened.

This is one of the few designy-cute toys that she actually likes.

Howdy!

Look at what a dork Gracie is playing with her TI-83. Nerd alert! :)

That, and her jellycat bunny. All jellycat stuffed animals rule. Designy-cute, super soft, and babies love them. We have them at Biscuit, for sale online soon, but bunny is her favorite.

Bffs.

And finally…Never underestimate the power of Elmo.

We almost had a situation on our hands when this precious baby showed up as Elmo on Halloween in our music class.

Our iPad is stocked full of Elmo’s World, and our iPad holder has a kick stand so it can rest up on its own. This set up allows us to have family dinners out of the house on an occasion. And yes, I realize that a few paragraphs back I said I did not favor electronic toys, but I also clearly am full of grah-doo. The rules are, there ain’t no rules, Kennickie!

So that’s the “stuff” from let’s say 10-15 months? We are now contemplating Christmas. Anything I left on this list we should know about? Any Christmas ideas?

Comment, and ye shall receive. We have a few design posts this week coming up, some gift guides soon, maybe even a giveaway? Peppermint Bliss is BACK!

Comments

1. Lizzy November 19, 2012 at 7:18 am

Grace is the cutest little person ever. My boyfriend has three new nieces this Xmas and this list will prove to be super handy. Btw- i saw this amazing stark antelope rug on Instagram- one of the comments was that it might be in your new house? I love it either way. Xo

2. lisa November 19, 2012 at 10:10 am

Fun post. Don’t think though that my commenting now when I have not for a while means I didn’t like your posts before! Just been too busy to comment but have been reading faithfully.

At around one we got two toys that 8 years later even my oldest still plays with … we give these both as gifts alot. Don’t have time to put links in but:

magnatiles

wedgits

and both are actually fun for me too so I am more likely to sit on the floor and play when they have these out. Also now they use both of them to create forts for their lego guys. I like when a toy has crossover appeal.

Lisa

3. Carrie November 19, 2012 at 11:23 am

If Gracie is interested in brushing up on her Spanish while mastering Korean I’d suggest the Chicco Bilingual Talking Farm. The Munchkin Mozart Music Cube is also fun if she’s still into music. She’s probably getting close to being able to use it but I love the Step 2 Up and Down roller coaster. I’ve given it as a gift and it’s always well received and can be used until they’re about 6. The great thing is it can be used inside or out and the car can be used on it’s own.

4. Melissa November 19, 2012 at 11:31 am

Great suggestions. Scout (the talking green dog) is my go-to gift for 1 year olds. There is a purple version too (Violet), but for whatever reason, babies seem to prefer the green. Did we just get a sneak peek at the new house?! Love that bedroom wallpaper.

5. Katie Wendel November 19, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I love these posts! I picked out lots of our fav baby things from your previous posts, thank you! Also, Grace is such an awesome babe! We love Jellycats to the max too, see the bottom of this post for a pic of my daughter, Nora, and her Jellycat gang: http://iwilltaketwo.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-monday-list.html
    Thanks Bailey!

6. Jess November 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Don’t worry about the broken leg, wait until she falls out of the cart and on to her head, you’ll get a thorough lecture from the nurse and then feel like the worst parent ever! The ER makes you feel like you are the only parent in the history of the world to let a kid fall out of the cart, but I think almost every single one of my friends have had the same thing happen to them at least once! It’s almost like it’s some sort of parent initiating thing.

7. Kkrs November 19, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Get her the roller coaster. It looks amazing! Plus, I think it’s good to 200 lbs. Which means you and Pete can have a go. Videos of all the mccarthy’s having a ride with your hands up, please.

My mama just bought a super cute funhouse mirror for her practice. It is a hit! Not sure if the novelty would wear off, but lil’ guys love it.

I’m sure that someone will chime in that the roller coaster is dangerous. But somehow I survived an above ground trampoline without a net and a rickety pool slide. And, for the record… I’d buy either one for my own adult entertainment right now. Perhaps I should do just that!

Here’s the link to the cutest funhouse mirror, ever

Hugs,
    K.

8. jackie jade November 19, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I do not have a baby, but always enjoy your blog. Gracie is such a cutie and love those plaid jammies! Also love the little glimpses into your decor. I’m intrigued by the walrus (?) I see lurking on a shelf. Can’t wait to see more!

9. Tara November 19, 2012 at 5:34 pm

She’s so cute! I too had a really hard time giving up the bottle (Max could have cared less).

Max is 22 months now and some of his fav toys are still boxes … and things in the kitchen that aren’t “toys” and of course balls.

Christmas? I think the best toys are books… art supplies (well I’m an art teacher)… and when Max turned one we got a Radio Flyer wagon.

-Tara

http;//madmaxandfamily.blogspot.com

10. Liz November 19, 2012 at 5:37 pm

The best thing that Santa brought was a small indoor trampoline (Alex toys I believe), it will literally save your life when the weather is bad and they are going bonkers. My 7yo still jumps on it and the 2.5yo is on it all the time! (It ain’t the prettiest thing, but its worth it!)

11. erin November 20, 2012 at 2:01 am

geez that was efficient! thank you for the gear update. you would think i knew what to get my baby since she’s number three, but so far in her 15 months she has been playing with broken old (probably chokable) pieces of toy from her older siblings. you just motivated me to have santa bring her some proper toys! thank you.

12. Kim November 20, 2012 at 11:05 am

Thanks for this. Would love a Bailey gift guide to help with my christmas list. Would also love a Pete gift guide to help with my husband’s gift.

13. carak November 20, 2012 at 11:19 am

my almost 15 mo old daughter has been really into coloring lately – we have a huge pad of paper and crayons. she wakes up from naps asking to color.

love your gracie pictures, stories, and recommendations (especially love her halloween costume…my baby was a little indian squaw too)!

14. Sabrina November 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm

My son loves his Scout… and we love to make fun of all the dorky songs. But hey, it keeps him happy.
    We are huge fans of our Zoli cup, but we noticed the straw part getting a bit funky because it’s hard to wash the inside. But we still use it…

P.S. I found your blog from the new HGTV magazine! Hello!! Your house is amazing!!! WOWY ZOWY!!!

15. Jenni H. November 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Thank you for this! I’m a little bit behind you… I have a 10 month old… and I always love reading these posts and getting ideas!

16. Jenni H. November 20, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I love these! We’re a little bit behind you… I have a 10 month old… so I always get lots of ideas from these. Thanks!

17. Emily November 21, 2012 at 12:49 am

Gracie is honestly THE cutest little girl! I don’t have a little one, but this was fun to read.

18. Claire November 21, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Loved the Zolli for our 16th month old until we discovered the Momma at UrbaBaby around the corner. So far no leaks from the straw or lid and our son loves its round shape. Might be worth trying if you are fed up with the leaking.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

19. Kate @ travelmoon November 23, 2012 at 11:14 pm

My daughter is 9 and a half mis have been living by your baby guides! So glad you posted a new one. Does Gracie have a play kitchen I want to get one fort daughters first bday as I know she will grow in to it. I’m counting on you to show me a designery one I haven’t heard of yet :)