Behind The Print: The Joanna

From the beginning stages of Biscuit, I knew I wanted to do a bike print inspired by Joanna Goddard of Cup of Jo. I love how bikes can be childish, architectural, graphic, hipster, european, retro- they can represent so many different things depending on who you are. However, even though I knew I wanted to do a bike print early on, the Joanna was one of the trickiest prints to get right.

Firstly, here is the finished print:

I love it. I was very disappointed initially about having to to the bikes in solid colors, but in the end I feel like doing them in the ombre shades of yellow and blue lends an air of, dare I say, sophistication that my earlier visions perhaps lacked?

Here, let me show you what I am talking about.

The inspiration:

Draft 1:

Cute, but just not Biscuit. It is so odd seeing these drafts now. We all have a much clearer vision of what Biscuit is now, but in the beginning we were just testing things out, figuring out how to work together and meld our different tastes and skills.

“Final” Drafts:Joanna Yellow “Final” DraftJoanna Blue “Final” Draft

Then we were told by the factory that we wouldn’t be able to print the bikes with multiple colors in one bike. Since each rotary prints a different color onto the fabric, you have to consider how that image is going to line up once so many moving parts come together to print each color. They were worried that bike seats would end up floating above frames and wheels would spin off hither and yon. So we decided to do the solid bikes in ombre, and I am obsessed.

How cute are they trimmed out?

More importantly…What does Joanna think?

Bailey: Do you like your print? Do you feel like it captures a part of your personality?

Joanna: The print is wonderful. One of my favorite ways to spend an afternoon is riding bikes around town, so this definitely fits my personality.

B: Where would you use it?

J: I’d love to put it in a guest room to make people smile when they pulled back the covers to climb into bed.

B: How do you feel about people sleeping on your face?

J: Haha, it’s an honor to be part of this fantastic project!

And part of what Joanna is referring to, that we have been working on since the first moments of starting Biscuit, is that 10% of the proceeds from Biscuit Bedding have gone in the few weeks we have been open, and will continue to go to St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital. We knew from the beginning that Biscuit should give back. There have been a lot of challenging moments getting this going, and sometimes our other personal motivations (love of creativity, dreams of success etc) failed, but it was always in the back of our minds that if we could pull it off, Biscuit would be something bigger than we three little pigs, and we are so proud to support St. Jude’s. We will discuss more how we came to the decision to support St. Jude’s specifically, as well as why we love this organization in a later dedicated post, but especially after what we went through with Gracie it feels really powerful and full circle to be able to do this.

You know what else is neat? We have created pantone color standards at Biscuit, so that from season to season, our colors will stay the same so that you can add prints to your bed each season and know they will work together. So what that means is that if you see a blue that looks like what we are calling our “cornflower blue”, it will always be that exact color. We might add a navy, or a light blue, but any blue in that true blue range will be that cornflower blue. Same goes with our lilac, taupe, chartreuse, red etc etc. They coordinate between prints and accent colors this season, and will for years to come.

What do you think of the Joanna? What about now after seeing the various drafts? Do you like what we ended up with, or would you have liked an earlier iteration better? And, will you be purchasing any Joanna for yourself? What would you pair it with?

I am dying to hear from you!

Comments

1. mcwin November 7, 2012 at 10:16 am

I think it would be great in a guest room as Joanna mentioned or adorable in blue for a boys room paired with a plaid!

2. Allyson November 7, 2012 at 11:14 am

I LOVE ALL THE PRINTS! I’m kind of fond of Pete’s because when I look at it, it’s just 100% what I imagine Pete as. Preppy and classic like how he dresses, but forward.

3. Katie November 7, 2012 at 11:24 am

Love all of this, especially the st Jude’s connection. A wonderful and worthy cause. Great job!!!

4. sarah November 7, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Well done, Team Biscuit!! It is so inspiring to see three ladies under thirty get a business off the ground. I look forward to watching yall succeed.

5. Chelsea November 7, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I om over the moon about this print and yesterdays! I am SO excited to see everything next week. xo

6. therobynnest November 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Seriously, these cost half of what I thought they would.
    But I’m confused. The only adult size sheets are under “sheets” and they’re only the plain with borders? And the rest are under “bedding” and are crib sheets and accessories? So there is no paint splatter for a twin?

7. therobynnest November 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Seriously, these cost half of what I thought they would.

8. Upcycled Home November 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I did really like the “final” drafts with different colors on each bicycle, but I also know the challenge of color registration so I also really like the solution (actual print) you gals came up with. Overall, I love them all and am SO glad that colors will match season-to-season, making it easy to add on and mix things up as your collection grows!!

9. Jennifer Burck November 7, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Hi- what’s the return policy for online orders?

10. Blair November 7, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I love it!!! It’s so great that you guys are giving to St Jude’s. It is SUCH a great organization! The philanthropy my sorority is attached to is St Judes and it was always an amazing thing to be involved in.

11. Jennifer Burck November 7, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Bailey- thanks for the info! I have my eye on a duvet, but was nervous about making a final decision without seeing it in person. I can’t wait to order it!!

12. Jenna November 7, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Everything is fabulous!!! Loved seeing y’all this morning, the store is BEAUTIFUL!!!

13. Jenna November 7, 2012 at 6:58 pm

14. kkrs November 7, 2012 at 7:07 pm

love seeing the process… and the end result is the best! Love those darn bikes. My guest room is GOING to get “buttered”. I just gotta figure out exactly how. My only wish is that the sheets were available in the prints, also.

15. Jenna November 7, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Everything is even better in person!!! Loved seeing y’all this morning, the store is BEAUTIFUL!!!

16. Lyndsey Z November 8, 2012 at 8:59 am

LOVE the Joanna print…I have to admit, when I saw it in the store my gut reaction was that this would be perfect in my daughter’s big kid room. However, the more I look at it I could see it working so well in my guest bedroom. Whimsical, chic and unexpected! Your store is amazing and so are y’all. :) XO, Lyndsey

17. Lyndsey November 8, 2012 at 9:14 am

LOVE the Joanna print…When I saw it in your store I knew I had to find a bedroom for it. Was originally thinking my little girl’s big kid bedroom but the more I think about it I could totally see it working well in my guest bedroom. Whimsical, chic and unexpected! XO, LZ

18. Bethany {at} Powell November 12, 2012 at 10:54 am

oooooooh how clever are you? this seems PERFECT. i love it!

19. KP November 12, 2012 at 11:31 am