Client Work: Before & After

“Cher’s main thrill in life is a makeover. It gives her a sense of control in a world full of chaos.”

Lauren emailed me back in March to help them with their master bedroom. They were adhering to a tighter budget because they had just splurged on this amazing Ethan Allen bed.

And, as it turns out though I didn’t know it then, they were expecting a little nugget soon as well.

Here is their room before:

So working with the bed they had just ordered, and her love of Chiang Mai Dragon, this is what I came up with for them.

I think this board demonstrates the high/low…splurge on investment pieces, save on others thing I was talking about on Monday. The bed is a forever piece. The bedding is really good too- as are the side lamps. The side tables are from west elm, and the bench at the end of the bed is from overstock. And this is what it looks like in real life:

I love how the space looks pretty and put together, but not overly designed. I don’t think it looks like “me”, I think it looks like them, and if I walked into this room I wouldn’t think “who is your designer?” I would think “y’all did a great job”.

Another angle of the room before:

The design board:

And this is also why Lauren is a dream client. In respect to their budget I had suggested the Ikea malm dresser with these little upgrades.

But SHE went out and found this piece on The Craig. And painted it the color I suggested. Lookin’ real good, though I do think it could use the lamps I suggested to finish it off. That is the great thing about doing the boards though- you can do things at your own pace as funds and priorities and tastes align.

Beautiful family in their beautiful room.

Let’s give them a round of applause, shall we?

Comments

1. Sarah @ BelleonHeels November 29, 2012 at 11:37 am

I. LOVE. this.

2. janebird November 29, 2012 at 11:37 am

that room deserves a kiki!!!! A kids, and Bravo Bails

3. Allyson November 29, 2012 at 11:42 am

Love the room Bailey! You (and them!) did a great job! I think it is a super relatable job and it really does look like they did it themselves!

4. Holtwood HIpster November 29, 2012 at 11:51 am

Holla! Just love how this came out. Really brought the room to life. Great job Bailey and Lauren!

PS- the clueless reference has me pegged…

5. anh November 29, 2012 at 12:13 pm

looks really good! great job!

6. Katie November 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Great job! I really love the room and am inspired to go re-do my bedroom!!!

7. Molly November 29, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Wow! I LOVE these Before and After’s, Bailey. I can’t even tell you how much better the room looks now!! Really, really beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

8. Kkrs November 29, 2012 at 2:24 pm

It does look like they pulled it together themselves! Great job. They are adorable.

9. Caitlin November 29, 2012 at 3:40 pm

This is beautiful! I hope to have a room and biscuit like this one day! (Soon hopefully!)

10. Caitlin November 29, 2012 at 3:42 pm

This room is just perfect! It really does look like they did it themselves (in a good way, obviously) I hope one day to have a room and biscuit like this one day!

11. julie carter November 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm

bails you for reals are so so so good at what you do. i really am so thankful for you bc there is truly no one else out there like you!!

12. Nancy November 29, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Love it! I have that duvet in pink and keep deciding whether I still love it or hate it. This sealed the deal – time for something new.

13. Allison November 29, 2012 at 6:15 pm

The room is beautiful That mirror is amazing! I’ve been looking for something just like it. Mind sharing where we could find it?

14. jackie jade November 29, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Wow this turned out beautifully! I agree that it looks just perfect and not too “designed” or overdone. Gives me lots of inspiration to fix up our bedroom!

15. Beth November 29, 2012 at 10:44 pm

That looks fantastic!!!

16. Jillian November 30, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Bailey, I need your help. I’m desperately trying to become a DIY-er, but aside from a stint in Brownies as a kid, am not particularly crafty. Long story short, I have the Ikea Malm dresser and have looked at the overlays before. Are they pretty easy to apply? And do you go ahead and paint right over the Ikea finish or do I need to sand the heck out of it first? I know, I know… you’re probably laughing at me and it’s cool, but help a girl out with the basics.

17. christina November 30, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Peppermintbliss to the rescue! Love the room, you made it magical. Your spirit is so full of life, you see that in every peppermintbliss design, and now biscuit as well! I have been inspired to do some changes to my bedroom and I feel so good about it-the bedroom is an important place for parents and your clients made a great choice-a new baby makes your bed like the hottest restaurant in town and reservations are scarce….so dining there is fantastic….by dining I mean sleeping:)

18. Elizabeth @ The Litt November 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm

LOVE the board and the room turned out great. I just noticed that lamps almost identical to the ones she needs for the Craigslist dresser are over at Hobby Lobby for 50% off. I think they would end up being about $40 a piece. Love your work! :)

19. Mina November 30, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Beautiful Design! Love the whole bed look, along with tables, lamps, everything. May I ask where your vermilion side tables come from on the design board?

20. Candice Gateley December 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm

As Lauren is a wonderful friend of mine I always new she had wonderful taste! Amazing room and I only wished you lived close to me to do my whole house! You are correct, she is amazing! But, you are an amazing designer! LOVE IT!!!!! So glad her and Tim have a beautiful place to escape once Jack is down for the night!

21. Kate December 4, 2012 at 10:08 am

Great post! I love seeing these types of posts; they’re so helpful because they clearly show the inspiration/conception of the design and then the execution. This project turned out wonderfully!

22. Kate December 4, 2012 at 10:09 am

23. Kate December 4, 2012 at 10:09 am

24. Jaclyn March 6, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I LOVE this room. The colors are divine. Can you please tell me where the decorative pillow on the bed is from?
    Thanks!

25. Ann June 13, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I love everything about the dining room. Do you know what color the glossy pink is inside the china cabinets? And in your opinion, are the china cabinets too dining room-y for a living room? I love the idea of the painted inside cabinet and have a perfect space for them, but want to make sure they’re room appropriate before shelling out so much money.

Thanks!