Pages From My Diary

My phone is pretty much my diary.

And according to my diary, this is what has been going on in my life lately.

Our entryway got some rug love from Amber.

Bella is quite fond of it. Says it really sets the tone for the house experience. She thinks the large porcelain Dalmatian is just horrible though- she won’t won’t even look at him.

We have been hard at work getting the prints for Season 2 going.

The hand-painted drafts are so pretty.

Our office at Biscuit has been a disaster pretty much since the day we opened. The store is small- the storefront itself is about 1,400 sq feet and the office in the back is probably 12×18. Out of that office we do all of our design work, run the business of the store, plan future seasons and product development, store merchandise, ship orders, receive orders…It’s mayhem.

This is what it looked like on a good day.

Yesterday I had a lightbulb moment that our floor plan was not the most functional. So about two hours before close I called Pete and asked him to come over and help me and Maddie rearrange the entire thing.

That meant taking every.single.thing. out of our floor to 20 foot high ceiling shelves and cleaning it out. Taking every piece of furniture out of the office, and moving it back in.

We switched the desk and couch so now you can actually get into our file cabinets, and we have room add two Ikea expedit shelves on either side of the couch for design books and product catalogs etc. and will be able to use all of our built in shelving for inventory.

We made some progress…But I shudder to think what awaits me when I get in this morning.

Also.

Gracie became a toddler and learned how to throw a full on temper tantrum.

This one started about me making her wear shoes.

RED SHOES ARE THE STUPIDEST!!!!

PLEASE SOMEONE SAVE ME FROM THE RED SHOES!!!!

WHAT!? I was just kidding! I love my red shoes! WHERE ARE MY RED SHOES!?!? These black ones don’t match!!!

Actually…

These black shoes are quite fetching. Have you seen my black shoes??

I am sure these toddler meltdowns get old. And you can remind me about this in 6 months when I am complaining about the terrible-twos…But I kind of think Pete and I are well equipped for this stage of baby-hood. The first year was rough on us- I know real live actual people who love the newborn stage. Us? Not so much. I think everyone has different strengths in parenting and times where they shine and are challenged by their kids development. But I am going to be bold here and say I think Pete and I love this stage.

Pete can turn a temper tantrum faster than anyone I have ever seen. And I think they are hillarious/cute- although I need to work on not laughing/rewarding her behavior. Honestly though, after so many months of worrying if every single cry meant something was seriously wrong, and if our responding/not responding was making her co-dependent/betraying her trust- it feels good to be at this point.

We have more confidence now as parents, enough to know most of the things the various “ism” schools of parents try to scare you with are BS. And we know our girl. We know when something is really wrong- and better yet, how to fix it. And we know when she is just imposing her will upon the world. And I love seeing that strong little will in action.

And if it ever gets to be too much? We can just pull out the bubble blower.

Comments

1. Lindsey December 19, 2012 at 11:20 am

First, love the entry way rug! Second, love your thoughts on parenting – it is so true and while we are not in the toddler stage yet (our little lady turns six months Friday), I already feel some of the same sense of relief that you are talking about. Having a newborn is wonderful and tough at the same time!

2. Upcycled Home December 19, 2012 at 1:19 pm

OMG. Cuteness personified. I remember the newborn-1 year phase feeling like it took forever with my first girl. And relief when she hit the toddlers. But now after my third try at it, and parenting older children–we have come to realize that we are quite good at the newborn/infant phase. Exceptional, really (so sad to see #3 exit it already :-( ) And still good up until about age 5. Then it goes downhill a bit–once they start talking back and such. I am hoping that another spell of parenting genius hits for the teenage years….XX fingers

And also–I love that new design! CANNOT wait to see the next season!!!

3. Carrie December 19, 2012 at 1:37 pm

This is rather random but I must admit that I am always in awe of your honesty. Your ability to be open while being neither awkward nor self-indulgent is a true gift. I often find myself disliking blogs because they make the writer seem too self-important. It may seem silly but I think it’s a true gift.

4. Carrie December 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm

This is rather random but I must admit that I am always in awe of your honesty. Your ability to be open while being neither awkward nor self-indulgent is not something everyone is graced with. I often find myself disliking blogs because they make the writer seem too self-important. It may seem silly but I think it’s a true gift.

5. Taylor December 19, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Hello! Can you please tell me where your coatrack is from? I had one JUST LIKE IT which was destroyed in a recent move, and now I’m using a terrible, ugly, flimsy, wobbly one which I HATE (could you tell?) and I can’t find a bright punchy one anywhere! Help? Thanks so much!

6. Taylor December 19, 2012 at 3:21 pm

7. Stephanie December 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Love. Gracie. Period.

8. Courtney December 20, 2012 at 1:22 am

First off love the rug and love the post! Thanks for your refreshing take on the parenting side. My hubs and I are proud parents to a 7 month old little man and he is our world but the early newborn stage was rough rough rough and we even now have hard days/nights. When we try to put it into words to our family or friends we think they look at us like we have three heads! Hearing about another young couple with a similar sentiment really helps! Thank you so much for your blog, I love your posts! Happy holidays!!

9. jackie jade December 20, 2012 at 10:39 am

love that rug! and i think i want to steal the idea of painting the inset portions of the door in a fun color too.

10. Camila December 20, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I actually loved the newborn and infant stages. Around month 10 he started walking and things got a bit tough for me and now as a 1 year old Hudson drives me batty on a daily basis. He went through a similar fit this morning, because I dared to close the door after we walked into his nursery. Apparently it was the most possible thing I could have done. Tears, tears and more tears ensued. Such a drama queen. :) So don’t worry Gracie is in good company.

11. Julia December 22, 2012 at 8:00 am

Thank you jeebus for saying you didn’t looooove the newborn stage. I’ve now had two babies in just over two years. Yes, I’m crazy, they’re 17 months apart so I have an 11 month old and a 28 month old. I don’t do well with sleep deprivation, constant feedings or lack of communication but I can de-activate a meltdown in 2 seconds. 1 if I have chocolate to bribe with! Toddlers are the MOST FUN because there little personalities come out more each day. And they are funny. The crap they say! Love it. Although I reminded myself a lot about a year ago that I was raising a strong and independant woman and those were really great qualities for her to possess. Especially when she grows up. Now she’s almost 2.5 and it’s so much better. Meltdowns are rare bc she thinks she holds the cards. Okay, maybe she does.

And thanks for showing pictures, even just snaps from your phone, with TOYS lined up against the walls in your house. I battle with the toys overload on a daily basis and it’s just always nice to see someone with great style who has to put up with the plastic noisy crap for their kids sake too. Keep it coming!

12. Molly December 22, 2012 at 10:10 am

I also was not a fan of the infant years. I’m now a mom of preteens & honestly, love it. I had a very headstrong toddler who got it all out of her system like it looks like Gracie is & she’s a delight now. We have occasional moments but I try not to listen to others & that helps. Maybe not listening to others, but definitely I take their dire warnings about ‘the teen years’ (cue music) with a grain of salt. They’re the same as they always were, just learning how to grow into themselves. Gracie is adorable, even when she’s throwing a fit! Glad you feel more organized in the office. :)