Consider this…

Maddie and I are heading up to Dallas for market. In true nerd style I have been researching showrooms for weeks now and have spreadsheet in hand ready to see as much good junk as possible in two days, and bring it to all of you via Biscuit.

We are also going to whoop it up with these two, and after the day we had shooting at the store yesterday, I think I owe Maddie a beverage.

Lesson I have learned in business so far? Just because you CAN do something yourself, doesn’t mean you have to or should. I am not a big DIY-er in the crafty sense. Although I wish I was. But I am a huge DIY-er because of my impatience. When I think of something I need it to happen like rightnow. If the proper help isn’t immediately available, I am just going to do it myself. Which can have mixed results.

Like last Saturday when I was working at the store by myself all day and decided our new expedit bookshelf display had to be built. Nevermind that for the 6×6 Ikea CLEARLY states you need two people. 2man¬†And never mind that the assembled height is over 6 feet and I am just barely over 5. I got this.

Nope. No, I didn’t.

By the time I got to the last three steps I had completely sweat through my shirt. At work. In a store where we are trying to be at least somewhat alluring. And this giant monstrosity was half built in the middle of the pathway and I couldn’t finish it. Luckily Pete, my knight in shimmery armor, came and brought me a new shirt and helped me get the thing finished. But these, people, are lessons.

And what I learned yesterday is that just because it is physically possible to make and unmake 19 different beds each styled 3 different ways, rotating 4 headboards in and out of the space, doesn’t mean it should be done. Did you know there are professional “bed-stylers”? Who KNEW that ultra specific niche had its own profession?
But let us consider the work of Eddie Ross.

30680841183338543_04dcGxe2_cCertainly not JUST a table-stylist.

30680841183338528_Ek6QgnGk_c

But definitely uniquely skilled in this field.

30680841183337528_EYhhgYwy_c

It’s that next-level ish.

30680841183337445_NLXqQ8jK_c

All images via Eddie Ross and Lonny.

I tried my hand at some Ross-ish magic for our shoot…And it is REALLY not my thing, and definitely not Ross Level, but I think it turned out pretty well.tablestyling

Now, on the beds? Having someone there that knows all the tricks to making a Biscuit look extra fluffy in photographs might have been helpful. Luckily Emily is very good and I think what we came up with will be a huge improvement to the site in helping everyone visualize our bedding and how it can go together- I am thinking on the next go around I might seek professional styling help.

I am learning where my hard work is value added, and where no matter how hard I try it is just spit and tape and I should bring in a professional instead.

Comments

1. Brandi January 16, 2013 at 10:38 am

Oh yes bed styling is a beast. When I style them for catalog shoots it takes me days, literally days! It’s ridiculous! I really like your table setting though, the swans are a great touch!

2. Bri January 16, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I knew it. When I saw that table setting picture on Matchbook Mag’s instagram, I thought, “That has Bailey all over it!” I cannot wait!

3. Betsy January 16, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Hey Bailey! I have a Biscuit question- any chance (please say yes!!!) that y’all are going to expand your baby bedding collection to include crib skirts?

4. Petie January 16, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Hi Bailey, I’ve never commented but I’ve been reading your fun blog ever since you were on Style Me Pretty! I just wanted to say that it has been so fun following you as you have opened your store and all the ups and downs it takes to own a shop. I own a little card & gift and wedding shop in Portland, Oregon and I know how hard and fun it can be (and how many hours it takes to make it happen)to have your own shop. I hope you have a great time in Dallas at the Market! I am heading to NYC next month to hopefully find some goodies too. Anyways, just wanted to say it’s fun to read about your adventures!

5. K January 16, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Please tell me you got the “knight in shimmery armor” line from What’s Eating Gilbert Grape…

6. Tanya January 16, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I agree, I would rather do things by myself. Like hanging frames. I am terrible at it. But my husband is better but it’s hard to give up control.

7. Alex January 17, 2013 at 10:53 am

Hi Bailey,

Another one of my blogs talking about you!

Congratulations!

8. Kim January 17, 2013 at 11:37 am

Just in case you didn’t see/hear, Sheridan French featured Biscuit on her blog the other day! Her blog is called Southern Eclectic.

9. Robyn January 17, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I want to eat those macarons! The styling looks delicious too. : )

10. Eddie Ross January 23, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Bailey!

I think your table turned out beautifully! I love the exuberant palette and all of the pretty details. You took risks and sometimes, that’s what it’s all about! THANK YOU for all of your kind words.

xo