I love it when y’all have an opinion.

Y’all are SO random! And I like it, keeps me on my toes. I thought for sure I was going to hear from maybe one of you, who would probably tell me what a total asshole I am. I am glad that was not the case- y’all gave me lots to consider and we are meeting with a landscape architect next week.

I do know we are going to put Gracie in swim lessons. Good point on that.

And I think we are going to fill it in.

Because here is what:

I am not a super overprotective mother. I mean, my baby broke her baby leg (still so ashamed). I am not winning any parenting awards for caution in care. But this one thing genuinely fills me with dread. I agree there is a balance between fearing the world and what it can do to your baby as a parent, and letting them live their life. But we all have our things- and this is mine. And maybe it is crazy/irrational- or maybe it is my thing because my mom instincts are telling me it is something I specifically SHOULD worry about.

How could life possibly exist if I ignored my instincts and something did happen.

Maybe, probably, definitely I have watched too many Oprah’s- but I am going to honor my inner voice on this one.

And her grandparents have a pool within walking distance.

Also, this bunny is saying pleasepleaseplease let Notre Dame win tonight.234327986831887355_37bDy3Cm_c

Pete’s big Christmas present was getting to come to Miami to watch his beloved Irish play in the National Championship. I have never been to Miami. It is- unusual. I kind of feel like I am in Casablanca at Nick’s. The strangest arrangements of people coming and going. I don’t know if it is always like this, or if it is especially pronounced because of all the flotsam and jetsam brought in by the football fans (including us). But it is phenomenal people watching, which is one of my all time favorite things.

Comments

1. Michele January 7, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Bailey, I think you’d be crazy NOT to fear the water when it comes to little children. Life can change on a dime and pools can be so dangerous for children, even those who know how to swim. Because even if your children know how to swim, what about their friends? We’ve all heard the horror stories. I don’t think you’ll regret your decision to fill the pool in.

2. jrc January 7, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Bailey – forget everything I said before. Trust your mom instincts – always – they are pure love. Fill in that damn gorgeous pool and don’t look back. Peace of mind is worth everything.

3. Melissa January 7, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Well if you have a grandparent pool in walking distance, then that is even better! Not worth the heart worry to keep the cow when you can get the milk for free…and probably some calf-sitting on the side.

4. Kelly January 7, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I love that bunny with all of my heart.
    My issue is parking lots/driveways. I am CRAZY about making my kids hold my hands in parking lots. When I see people just letting their kids run ahead of them, I feel so much anxiety. So yeah, I get it. Fill that bitch in. Am I allowed to say that? : )

5. kkrs January 7, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Roll Tide Roll! Sorry McCarrthy’s! Our families are more loyal to the CT than Bear Bryant!

Miami is the strangest. It’s not you, it’s not even the die hard football fans… It is like this ‘devil may care’ atmosphere collides with latin passion collides with I don’t know what the lunar tides or the extreme heat meets the avant garde of art deco splendor. it is like nowhere I have ever been before, and every time I am there I am like this is where the real and interesting freaks come to play. But I love it just the same. :)

6. jtc January 7, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Bailey – ignore everything I said before. Trust your mommy instincts -always – they are pure love. Fill in that damn gorgeous pool and don’t look back. Peace of mind is worth everything.

7. Whitney January 7, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Didn’t think I could like you more, but . . . GO IRISH!

8. heather January 7, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Oh Miss Bailey,
    I get the Mommy instict, but think about this, when Gracie and your unborn people get older, they and their friends will be at your house for pool parties. I know that sounds like a great reason for filling it in, but that’s just where you want them at your house where you can watch them. Having survived babies, toddlers and preschoolers, let me tell you nothing is more frightening than
    adolescence. Give them every reason to hang out at your house

9. Sarah January 7, 2013 at 11:50 pm

I didn’t comment before, but I think you are smart to get rid of the pool. Having little children is stressful enough without always constantly worrying about the “attractive nuisance” in your back yard. No matter how much you pay attention, something happens, you blink, and you realize your child isnt where you thought she was. You couldn’t pay me to have a pool at our house. Maybe when children are older, but now, not a chance. Plus, you will enjoy your back yard more without it.

10. Stephanie January 8, 2013 at 11:06 am

GO WITH YOUR GUT!!! Three cheers for “mommy instinct!” And you and your family are the only ones who know what’s best for you. Surely your backyard will be darling no matter what – you’ve got great taste!

11. Kelsey January 8, 2013 at 12:43 pm

LOVE the Casablanca reference! I’ve never been to Miami, either, because it feels exactly like you described it. Anyway, sorry about the ND loss – hope it was a fun trip!

12. Claire January 8, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Good for you Bailey, I’d bet you can breathe a little deeper.

13. cpm January 8, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Totally off topic but I just lit my Biscuit TREE candle. It is without a doubt the best pine scented candle I have ever had. Kudos to you on a great product!

14. Nicky January 9, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I wanted to leave a comment here because it may not get lost in the shuffle of the great pool debate of your other post. BUT- I saw this REALLY cool water feature on Pinterest (obvs..) where you can incorporate a splash pad into the backyard. It’s small and you can stick it in a corner. Or even make it a feature of the backyard. That could be a fun option for your pool woes. :)

Here’s a picture (not the EXACT one I’m thinking of, but I can’t seem to find that one. Go figure). With your pretty little idea filled head I’m sure you could come up with something more fun and alluring than this simple little guy!

15. Mina January 9, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Happy New Year, Bailey! Having been recovering from the flu, taking care of flu kids (my own) and generally hating the flu for the last 9 days, I’ve missed your blog. I’ve been catching up today and came across your concerns about the pool. I’ve said this before: I’m an admitted paranoid pediatrician for certain things and my job has probably traumatized me (a little?). Having said that, I can tell you this: one of the worst things I encountered in my residency was this: the gutteral, heart-wrenching moaning of a mother every night, holding her 3 year old who drowned in the family pool. Even though the child survived, I hate when they call a permanently neurologically devestated child a “near-drowning.” Sorry, when the outcome is that bad, its a drowning, regardless of whether child survived. Those memories are >10 years ago and still make my stomach hurt when I think about it for too long.

You made a good decision re: the pool. It’s just not worth it. Gracie can swim at Grandma and Grandpa’s.

16. lisa January 10, 2013 at 12:34 pm

just clicked the link on the splash pad. That would be so awesome with toddlers and you are just over the top enough to do it. I do think a pool when kids are older will keep your family tight and close to home.
    can you get rid of it now and redo it in 10 years?? :)

17. Emily January 11, 2013 at 10:44 am

I might be late on this subject, but please DO swim lessons. I taught them for years, and babies can start at 6 months old in American Red Cross swimming classes. The earlier they are in the water and the earlier they learn to become comfortable in it, the eaiser your life will be. Believe me, i’ve taught 12 year olds that were afraid of dunking their head under the water. Anyways, I’m moving to Houston in a couple of months to finally be in the same city as my Fiance! Can’t wait to see the store in person!

18. Jenny April 8, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I think you are so right to honor your feelings and fill it in. And I don’t want to freak you out, but I have always been more scared of the grandparents pool than our own… But I also thought you might like my girl’s victory over the dive toys…