My favorite Christmas gift…

Beyond bedding at Biscuit, we want to carry really great/unique/special gift items. It seems like at this phase of life I have been given and am giving an astounding amount of gifts. Weddings, wedding showers, bachelorettes, baby showers, birthdays, house warmings…It’s kind of a gifting racket. But my feelings on the whole situation changes whenever I get or give a really perfect present. SO I have been thinking a lot lately about my favorite gifts I have received lately.

I was very well taken care of for Christmas by my sweet husband who gave me a really precious and beautiful piece of jewelry- so snaps to you on that Petey- but other than that I think my favorite gift was from my mom:pbhoto

What, you may be asking yourselves, is that?

Well it is a beautiful silver box with the engraved addresses of everywhere she and my dad lived together when they were married and where we have lived as a family.photbo

You know when you get stationary printed and they send you the engraving plate of your address back? Well she and my dad moved around a lot- not unlike Pete and I have- and she saved all of the plates and had them welded to this box. It has always been on a table in our living room to hold playing cards or special items, and it has always held such a special meaning to me. I was so touched that she passed it along to us. Now I am debating whether to add onto it with Pete’s and my addresses. The space is kind of full and maybe it is time to start our own memories? But I do love the idea that there is a plate on there for the last address where I lived before Pete and I got married- and then we would have our first house in Chicago right next to it.

Obviously we can’t carry something like this at Biscuit- but I thought it might give some of you an idea to start a sweet heirloom of your own.

What are some other great gifts you all have received lately? Any ideas of items we should have in the store?

also…FYI tomorrow is the last day to apply for our PAID internship. Read all about it here!

Comments

1. The New Diplomats Wi January 10, 2013 at 10:54 am

what a beautiful idea – i love this – i’ve always wanted to go back and do something with our addresses around the world…

2. Emily January 10, 2013 at 2:03 pm

What an awesome idea! Love things like this. My fave is actually coming as an anniversary present this weekend, but it is a piece of gabrielle bratton jewelry – she takes antique lace and uses it to make a cast out of wax that she then dips in various metals to make one of a kind designs. Hoping to one day have a cuff made of lace from my wedding dress or my mom’s…sorry for the advertisement. i swear i don’t work for her! http://gabriellejewelry.com/

3. rebecca January 10, 2013 at 3:36 pm

,,,what a beautiful gift/idea. i have always framed the key to my houses with the addresses that i’ve lived. i would have so many plates that i would need a coffin size box! (smile) each key is securely fits in a small frame and i hang them in the foyer. cheers to new address, “there’s no place like home.”,,,

4. kkrs January 10, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Great idea. I never thought of doing something with those plates. They’re literally in my junk basket as well as my old house keys. Now I’m going to combine 2 ideas and have the key and the engraving plates framed and put ‘em in my foyer. Here’s to hoping I’ll never need to add one again! Thanks Bailey and Rebecca. You guys are smart.

5. GL January 10, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Ok. It’s crazy… but I may be a bit obsessed with the gorg. Shell candy dish! I know it’s a family heirloom, but would love to see a replica of this…such an elegant item! So I guess I’m suggesting smaller lovelies for accents.

6. Carolyn January 10, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Such a cute and wonderful idea! Great tradition and family heirloom!

7. alison g. January 11, 2013 at 10:41 am

LOVE this idea! Ben and I have moved a lot since we’ve been married, so this really resonates.