Are you living UP?

Because I am.

And if you think that sounds culty and weird, you would be right.

Maddie told me that her husband had gotten this new fancy pedometer that he was obsessed with that tracked his steps throughout the day, but also his sleep patterns and I immediately bought two for me and Pete.

See, I have really wonky sleep patterns. It takes me forever to fall asleep always, and I wake up constantly throughout the night. I have tried evverrrything. “Natural” helpers like Melatonin, exercise, various sleep rituals, wine…Nada. I have tried drugs like ambien and lunesta, and while they help me sleep and are ok for emergencies, that is not really how I want to live.

Now Pete. Pete is what I call an aggressive sleeper. He is like the sniper in Saving Private Ryan. He can summon deep sleep in seconds. I take it personally as he seems to race me to get into bed and then the second his head hits the pillow, he is out. And snoring.

So while the pedometer/health thing is cool, I am really in it for the sleep spying.

So what is this magical contraption?magnified_mintgreen

It is the Jawbone.

That little bracelet goes on your wrist at all times. You download the coordinating “Up” app, and plug in your bracelet into the headphone jack on your phone a few times a day and it syncs and gives you all sorts of stats on your daily steps, calories, resting burn, active burn etc. You can also program it to give you idle alerts so that it gives you a little buzz if you have been sitting still for too long.184777-jawbone-up

Other fun tricks? You can log your food and workouts. You can set alarms on it to wake you up from naps once you have gotten the optimal 26 minutes of rest, and to go off when you are in a light sleep cycle rather than your deep sleep so you wake up refreshed. It tracks your sleep at night and tells you how long you spend in deep/light sleep cycles. How many times you wake up and when. How long it takes you to fall asleep.

Pete and I have been living “UP” for 5 days now. And we have learned lots of things. Like that I have really jacked up sleep cycles.

sleepfeb10

Sunday night, had a few cocktails and spent most of the night in a deep dark sleep.

sleepfeb11Monday night, no cocktails, had a cough and took some NyQuil. Woke up four times throughout the night.

sleeptoday

Last night, no sleep aids. A whole 3 hours 22 minutes of sleep. And that is all functioning adults really need, right? The orange starts at 3:30 am when I inexplicably awoke, and ends at 4:53 when I gave up hope of sleep.

We have also learned that Pete and I can be really competitive with each other. The app automatically sets your daily step goal at 10,000 steps- which for health is considered the standard because it best represents 30 minutes of cardio and an overall active day. Which is really hard to get to if you don’t have a dedicated workout and spend your day at a desk. The jawbone tracks all that, but you can also join a team so that you can keep track of other peoples updates if you want to. So Pete and I are on a team together and it’s actually pretty fun trying to beat the other ones steps every day.

Some days at the store I am on my feet all day, but lately we have been doing a lot of client work and inventory of new items so I spend a lot of time on my computer. I have an alarm set so every 15 minutes my bracelet buzzes and I get up and run in place or run around the store or the building.

And I know we haven’t done a humiliation diet update in months. I made some more progress after I stopped checking in with y’all and lately have kind of stalled out 15 lbs away from my baby-weight-loss goal. I finally am getting my workload a bit more controlled, and know it is time to start taking better care of myself. I think this might be just the motivation I need to lose the rest of it.

Do any of you have the jawbone? I hate the name. But so far- really love it. Any of you sleep experts out there want to tell me what is up with all of that?

p.s. working on the dining room and our master bathroom posts now.

Comments

1. caitlyn February 13, 2013 at 10:20 am

Aggressive sleepers!

2. Molly {Dreams in HD} February 13, 2013 at 10:43 am

wow, this looks so cool! my boyfriend is an aggressive sleeper as well so i would love to see what his sleep patterns are like.

3. Jillian February 13, 2013 at 10:47 am

I’m excited to see your review because I’ve been debating buying one! One of my co-workers loves the fit-bit, but I don’t know much about it. I’m sleeping-challenged, so that’s what I’m most interested in, though also tracking my steps since I’m camped out at a desk all day… What do you think about the look of the UP? Subtle enough to wear everyday? Comfortable enough to wear to sleep?

4. Annie February 13, 2013 at 11:26 am

Love this!! Never heard of this but the brand Jawbone also makes a super fun portable bluetooth speaker! Perfect for a VDay gift if anyone is still searching. We live in NYC so it is perfect for turning on when we have people over in the apartment, going to sit in central park, heading out to the beach, etc. So fun!

5. Rose February 13, 2013 at 11:28 am

I’ve been seeing mentions of these around, but hadn’t seen a review yet-thanks for sharing! It’s surprisingly affordable, too…I may have to give it a try!

xx
    Rose
    Blonde in this City

6. Gillian February 13, 2013 at 11:30 am

My husband and I both have the fit-bit. We love them! I like the looks of the jawbone better, but they both basically do the same thing. I compete with my husband too on steps taken.

7. Stacey February 13, 2013 at 11:37 am

I saw this on instagram and looked into it…its only for iPhones right?!? I haven’t went to the apple world yet :/

8. Kittie February 13, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I just ordered one! I’m a terrible sleeper and I can’t wait to see what this says.

9. Amy February 13, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Thanks for the thorough review – sorry your sleep is so jacked up! I’ve been considering one of these for awhile and you may have just sold me on trying one.

10. Amy February 13, 2013 at 12:07 pm

thanks so much for the thorough review, but I’m sorry that your sleep is so jacked up! I’ve been thinking of getting one of these for awhile, you may have just sold me on giving it a try

11. Lacy February 13, 2013 at 12:25 pm

My husband and I recently got Up bracelets for each other (for Vday of course!) and they are amazing. I was just reminded by my bracelet to get up from my desk and move…too cool! I haven’t used the sleep cycle function yet, but am going to start that tonight! Hope you get some better rest soon! Cheers to technology keeping us movin’!

12. Soraya G.L. February 13, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I think you just gave me more conviction to order the jambox.

13. Emily Lunstroth February 13, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Oh this is so cool!!

14. Erica February 13, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I have never heard of this one, but want one now! I would love to know what I’m “actually” doing on a daily basis!

15. ryann February 13, 2013 at 1:28 pm

this looks awesome- def ordering one!

16. Katie O'Keefe February 13, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I have been looking for a calorie counter worth the investment, and I love how this one looks. Most are so bulky and awkward. Thanks for sharing!

17. Katie Rose February 13, 2013 at 5:23 pm

And now I need one (or two so my fiance and I can compete).

18. Miro - Dose of Dash February 13, 2013 at 6:23 pm

That is SO cool! Let us know if it helps you figure out how to sleep more or not.

I would love to have it just to remind me to get up from my desk every once in a while.

19. mcwin February 14, 2013 at 9:44 am

Cool! I sleep pretty well but my boyfriend does not so this would be something great to get him! Do you know what you will do to improve your sleep patterns once you have enough data to work with? Also, jawbone has an awesome portable jambox that is bluetooth, small, and suprisingly good sound quality!

20. Anika February 15, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I am the WORST sleeper ever! I have had trouble calming down and going to bed my entire life. I’ve tried everything from melatonin to warm milk and from xanax to audiobooks. It’s brutal. It seems every guy I know is some kind of sleep ninja. I don’t get it! Now I want the jawbone. This looks amazing.

21. Erin Jackson February 16, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Bailey, I love the idea of this, my sleeping is terrible, too. But what do you do with the info on your sleeping patterns once you have it. Does the company give you recommendations? I am having a hard time finding details about this part of the product on the internet. Thanks!

22. Lucy Mosbacher February 18, 2013 at 8:36 pm

OMG. Just ordered one. Sounds really cool – and Peter’s and my sleep habits sound just like you and Pete! Also, love the curtain fabric so much!

23. Cassie February 19, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I love this! I’ve been a serious Fitbit addict for years, and they just recently made a bracelet-y thing too. After reading this I cannot WAIT to get it! I wish we had the same contraptions and could motivate each other, but I’m so glad to know about this if my Fitbit ever goes out / I’m feeling like a switch. And the colors are WAY better…which is obviously muy importante. Go girl!

24. Wanted. March 23, 2013 at 1:34 pm

[...] my to-do lists, and spring cleaning.  I finally got myself a Jawbone Up bracelet after reading Bailey’s post about hers and I am way too excited for it to come in next week – be prepared for a lot of annoying [...]

25. Becky Hillyard March 24, 2013 at 11:07 am

This post cracked me up for some reason! I think its how you explained your sleep patterns compared to your husbands and it’s a spitting image of mine and my husbands. I have been wanting to try the Jawbone up for awhile. Quick interesting how it tracks your sleep. How about your workouts? Do share!
    This was my first time to your blog and loved the first post I read, can’t wait to read more:)
    xx,
    Becky
    cellajane.blogspot.com

26. Hitha | Hitha On The March 25, 2013 at 7:37 am

Hi Bailey – Hitha here, a new visitor via A Piece Of Toast’s post. I’m a new Jawbone Up convert and am totally addicted as well! Your sleep cycles also look just like mine. I had no idea my sleep schedule was so messed up – or that I took far too few steps than the recommended 10,000. On the bright side, my poor husband has been just as addicted to tracking our steps via my Jawbone, and I finally have a clue as to what to get him for his birthday :)

27. Diana May 30, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I just ordered one for my hubby as a Father’s Day gift. I hope this helps him, he’s a terrible sleeper and is stuck at a desk all day. Thanks for introducing me to this wonderful contraption.

28. […] my to-do lists, and spring cleaning.  I finally got myself a Jawbone Up bracelet after reading Bailey’s post about hers and I am way too excited for it to come in next week – be prepared for a lot of annoying […]