Before & After: Guest Baths

When we bought the house it had four bedrooms upstairs (master + 3 guest bedrooms) and two baths (master + guest). The original guest bathroom to the house was…well I thought it was adorable, but it was a little peculiar with two tone tile and a wee arched shower. Though I thought it had a lot of potential, I knew 1 bathroom for three guest bedrooms that we plan to fill with many children was not going to work. So we added a third jack-and-jill style bathroom carved out of some space in an awkwardly long and narrow bedroom linking it and what would be Grace’s wee nursery.

The original guest-bath before.hr2924042-33

Definitely unique with the coved ceilings, two-tone tile, arched shower etc…But for some reason I was totally in love with it.

IMG_1081

My best guess is that the darker yellow/beige tile is original because of the line detail going through. And someone tried to match it with the other yellow and either suffered from acute color-blindness, or the tile faded?

No matter.photo 1

I think the new wallpaper situation totally makes it werk.

photo 2

The guys who installed the paper were complete artists. It was not easy with the coved ceilings but they made it work, cutting out the hot air balloons and decoupage-ing them on there to make it come together.

photo 4

Perfection.

photo 3

This is all you saw of the bathroom in Matchbook:IMG_9301

And this is why:

photo 5

No mirror. Whoopsies. It’s on order. But keepin’ it real. We did get a lot done in a short period of renovations, but it is still very much a work-in-progress.

Now on the bath we added, this room was 12×20, and it was so long and narrow it seemed almost smaller. hr2924042-36

You couldn’t place a bed because of all of the windows, and it was just an awkward space.

IMG_1087

It shared a wall with Gracie’s little room and was REALLY far from the existing guest bath, so we decided to carve 6 feet off this end of it to create a bathroom for the room to share with Gracie’s.

IMG_0743

The same view during construction. We closed up the back window and made the side one smaller.

photo

And same view now- again, keeping it real, that is my great-grandmothers headboard to the right there that we were trying to make work in the space but just won’t fit. Still need to take it back to storage.

This was the beautiful picture Emily took that you saw in Matchbook:IMG_9681

Same view pulled back again so you can see more of what we have going on.

zdzd

See how important good photography is??

phdzfoto 2

We did double sinks with vintage medicine cabinets/light fixtures.

fefe

I wanted the bathroom to have the same quirky feel the other guest bathroom had and to look like it could have been here originally.

Sources: Wallpaper in original bath. Light fixture in original bath. Wallpaper in new bath. Sinks in new bath- ish ours are slightly different. I think I like those better though. Tub in new bath. Shower curtain in new bath.

What do you think? I love the original details of the house. Both of our previous houses were old and traditional, but both had been stripped of all/most of their original quirks and nooks by the time we got to them. It was fun to be able to maintain some of that character here. As always if you have any questions let me know in the comments and I will try to answer them!

Comments

1. Mary February 6, 2013 at 10:50 am

I love the baths! I love that your kept the original details and just made everything more “you” with little touches. Gorgeous!

2. Stacey February 6, 2013 at 10:59 am

I am in LOVE with your style!!! The green in the kitchen is Fabulous. I want your house LOL.. I love the new bathroom I like the green tile in the middle and the shower head over the center of the tub. One day when I get my own house again I want it to be fun and adultish like yours :)

3. Keri February 6, 2013 at 11:00 am

I love it. It’s delightful to see how you’ve made whimsy so stately. Well done.

4. the zhush February 6, 2013 at 11:11 am

Congrats on the stunning feature in MB! YES, good photography does make a difference, but honestly, your house, these rooms, even without a mirror, it doesn’t matter what camera you use…all. SO. GOOD! wow.

5. Jane February 6, 2013 at 11:33 am

Your house is sick! I LOVE your kitchen – super fabulous. Also, it’s so nice to see original detail, like in your yellow-y / beige-y bathroom celebrated rather than demoed for new and shiny. Kudos!

6. rcwillman February 6, 2013 at 11:37 am

stunning, for a moment i thought, until i read thru, you planned to rip out all the tile! horrors as it is so unique BUT that wallpaper wow! brillant. too often people buy a home and tear out the original details which is a shame and wasteful. My daughter has a small dressing room off her bedroom,very french themed, I can’t wait to show her the Antro paper! your home is lovely

7. Mimi Nicole Events February 6, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I love them so much I would just live in the bathroom! And, so cool that you were able to keep the original tile–it works so well w/ the wallpaper! Beautiful feature in MM! xo

8. Steph February 6, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Bailey, you have GOT to stop posting these amazing pictorials, I really need to work ;-). Amazeballs again of course!

9. Lisa February 6, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Love the vintage and playful look of the bathrooms and those frilly shower curtains in the Jack and Jill! One question and one request: what are you doing for storage in Grace’s bathroom? And, I would love love love to see Grace’s little girl room. I have a 2 yr old and her room is so sad.

10. JILL @ thebluehouse February 6, 2013 at 12:31 pm

BAILEY! i love both of these and i’m so excited you decided to make the new bath look old like the original. love it. love the work you did on your whole house!

JILL

11. Lisa February 6, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I don’t think my comment posted so trying again. I love the vintage and playful look of both baths, and the frilly shower curtains in the Jack and Jill. One question and one request: What are you doing for storage in Grace’s bath; and I would dearly love to see Grace’s little girl bedroom. I have a 2 yr old and her room is so sad.

12. Erin February 6, 2013 at 12:39 pm

There is nothing I love more than a window in a shower. Obsessed with that wallpaper – look great!

13. Amy February 6, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Bailey, I am IN LOVE with your bathrooms. I am so impressed that you kept the original tile in your guest bath. It kills me when people rip out all the old charm in older houses. Kudos to you. The new bath definitely looks like it has always been there. Love the mint green floor and accent on the wall tile. Just so, so good.

14. Sarah York February 6, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Bailey, your home is gorgeous! Also thanks for keeping it real and showing that everything isn’t always perfect, even for a photoshoot. That’s life, right? I love that you kept the original tile, as those are the elements that add character to a house. All the sameness (even when its beautiful) in design is really a bummer these days. So quirky, fun and unique. The wallpaper in the first bathroom is just so pretty.

15. Melissa February 6, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Love love love. How fun to use the kooky wallpaper and keep as many of the unique elements as possible.

16. Sarah February 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Your new house is amazing!!! The wallpaper with the eiffel towers is so adorable. Love it. I did not think you’d be able to top Clifford but this house is definitely on par.

I also love how open you are about your intention to fill your house with lots of babies. Your little family is adorable.

17. Jess February 6, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Can I just say how much I love it that you admit to wanting lots of babies?! We have 5 and it’s unusual today, but so much fun. I love that you think about the fact that you want a house filled with kids and design with that in mind.

18. Lara February 6, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Bailey, you are an inspiration!! Your home is beautiful! I love how you have totally changed things up but kept things too! Everything is so luxe but still feels “homey”! I can’t wait to hear about the other bathroom! That one looks dreamy!

19. Kkrs February 6, 2013 at 3:20 pm

This makes me smile. I’m in love with both bathrooms. We are using same Schumacher paper in our guest bath with our vintage grey and black and white tile. It’s getting hung while we are on vacation this week. Your post makes me so excited to get home to see final product. The black claw foot tub is what my dreams are made of these days. Great job, Bailey.

20. Mary February 6, 2013 at 4:56 pm

This day is not the best, so every couple hours I come back to look at your gorgeous bathrooms and I smile! Just beautiful!

21. alison g. February 6, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Ditto to what everyone has said about preserving the original tile, and working in a similar feel to the new bath, but HANDS DOWN my favorite detail is that old, in-the-wall heater! My grandmother’s home had one, and I remember those super-cozy bath times when I stayed with her. Does yours still work?

22. Dana McDowell February 6, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Wonderful and fearless! I just love all of it.

23. Mary Z. February 6, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Your home is gorgeous and your vision is out of this world! How do you do it all!? I know you posted a bit about that awhile back but could you do a post specifically on how you approach home renovations? You obviously have several successful ones under your belt and I’m just wondering how you approach and execute them – do you use an architect? General contractor? How do you decide what to tackle first etc? And most importantly how can I be fearless like you!? I just bought a house that needs a fair amount of work and am overwhelmed about where to start.

24. lynne February 6, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Bailey, you are a genius, and a v. young one at that!

all three of your homes have been to die for.

25. Lauren @SDL February 6, 2013 at 11:53 pm

That hot air balloon wallpaper job is ridic. I’m for serious going to need the name of your wallpaper persons. I’m as serious as a heart attack. Fork that luscious information over. Looking great! As always, so great to see you today!\

XO

26. Elisa February 7, 2013 at 12:41 am

I can’t begin to tell you how amazing those rooms are! The wall paperers definitely had their hands full but did a great job with the balloons on the ceiling. I esp love the green tile floor in the bath off Gracie’s room. Heck that entire space is a stunner!!

27. Lindsey Suggs February 7, 2013 at 9:13 am

I love it!!!! You are the queen of interesting and beautiful bathrooms. I was dealing with a bathroom reno and talked to my contractor about installing a beautiful Scalamandre wallpaper. He whined about paper and tried to talk me out of it. Guess what- he’s not my contractor anymore. :) Great job keeping the beautiful character of the old house and making it work for today!

28. Sarah Love February 7, 2013 at 10:38 am

I love the style of these bathrooms (and the previous kitchen post). Lately, I’ve been less interested in a lot of design blogs that I follow, but yours remains very engaging. Thanks!

29. Ms. Bright February 7, 2013 at 11:05 am

What’s fantastic about the “new” bath is that it looks original to the house. Obvs, that was the point. Well done.

30. Nicole February 7, 2013 at 11:07 am

All of it is gorgeous, tasteful, fresh, and innovative. You are *seriously* talented. Thanks so much for sharing!

31. Meredith February 7, 2013 at 5:03 pm

The risks you take are fierce and you make me want to go jump off a cliff (a virtual-design-cliff of course). Go on.

32. Julie February 8, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Hey Bailey! I really love what you have done with your home and how you made the bathroom situation work for you (genius!) and I LOVE the wallpaper in both baths, but I do have one question. I have considered wall papering my bathrooms but I get scared because I am worried after a few years of showers that the wallpaper would start to peel. Have you noticed this problem? Are there tricks to consider when wallpapering in a bathroom that will get regular hot, steamy shower use? Thanks!

33. Caroline February 17, 2013 at 10:28 am

Bailey- what contracts did you use in Houston? Thinking of doing some remodeling and yours did a great job!!! Thanks, Caroline