Decorating A Narrow Hallway- update with playroom carpet source

I am currently working on two very long, dark, and narrow hallways.

One in a new client project I am sososo excited about, and the other in our own home.

I have not done one thing to make our hallway appealing.photo 1

I would currently describe it as “shining-esque”

The hallway has never been a big priority for me, which is dumb because it is probably the space most often seen and from which all the pretty unfolds. I guess maybe a drab hallway makes opening the door to a beautiful room more spectacular…But you still have yourself a drab hallway.

These people do a hallway up right:domino Ashley whitaker

Ashley Whitaker via Domino

HouseBeautiful.JonathanBerger

Jonathan Berger via House Beautiful

df9b35b1cf13ff9e535ef7ceaf948e3d

Lonny

0f1cce24f97079838a3ee16dd4c992fd

Via?

Common elements: Fun treatments on the doors, kooky wallpapers, wild colors, painted stripes, eye catching runners, interesting lighting.

For our own hallway, we are hanging some crazy big paintings, so I don’t know if wallpaper or color on the walls is worth it. Instead, I am thinking of going for it with a fantastic runner and replacing our can lighting with interesting fixtures.

On my radar:Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 8.46.35 AM

Runner: Madeline Weinrib, Pendant: Urban Electric Co., Paint for Doors: Benjamin Moore: Amazon Moss

**btw I am not holding out on y’all with the carpet source in the playroom- still searching for it!**

GOT IT! Here is the carpeting info.

ALSO today is the last day to shop our One Kings Lane sale, and some of the best items are still available!

Comments

1. Molly {Dreams in HD} March 21, 2013 at 11:48 am

loving your idea for your hallway!

2. Gabrielle Savvy Home March 21, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I love that zebra hallway by Ashley Whittaker. Can’t wait to see the end result!

3. katharine March 21, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I love these colours, very similar to all the rest in the house, seems like the rug brings all these together in one stripey rug!

4. Michelle March 21, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Funny, I just did a post on this using Feng Shui! Great minds think alike. Check it out and let me know what you think. Love yours, very informative! Thecentrichome.blogspot.com

5. Lauren @ T&G March 21, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I think the watercolor hallway is by far the most interesting and badass.

6. brooke March 22, 2013 at 8:07 am

thanks for the hallway inspiration! so hard to find ways to make such a narrow, dark space fun. off to pin your options, and use them when I decide to tackle mine!

7. ashley March 22, 2013 at 10:50 am

That watercolor paper is ahhhmazing. Thanks for the inspiration!

8. Heather March 22, 2013 at 11:38 am

Love all of these…I can’t wait to see what you will do with your space, I know it will be fearless!

The leopard carpet, green lacquered library image is of Hutton Wilkinson’s amazing home in Beverly Hills. It was featured in Harper’s Bazaar March 2012. Here’s the link:

9. Heather March 22, 2013 at 11:44 am

I love all these images, I can’t wait to see what you do with your hallway. I know it will be fearless!

The image with the leopard carpet and green-lacquered library is of Hutton Wilkinson’s Beverly Hills home. It was featured in March 2012 issue of Harper’s Bazaar. Here’s the link:

10. Kkrs March 22, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I’ve needed some inspiration of non-creepy hallways and I didn’t even know it… If that large painting is what I think it is, I’m deeming you quite wicked because I’ve had my eye on it… No worries… I’m certain that a certain chocolate covered miracle can become bffs with us!

Quick question, your ceilings look to be 8 ft tall, as mine are as well… Are you worried about Pete hitting his head on ceiling lights? If only all of the world was 4’11″. ;)

Kkrs
    Ps… happy weekend and may all of your basketball picks advance!

11. Lesley March 25, 2013 at 8:46 am

merci beaucoup for the source!

12. torebka damska April 16, 2013 at 8:13 pm

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d most certainly donate to this fantastic blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding
    your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates
    and will share this website with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!