I’m bringing sexy Beige…

I’m not, really, but Katie Ridder sure is.41d933c3fc04e74f59197870e6361739

I am obsessed with her kitchen.

by-katie-ridder-kitchen-via-shoebox-decor

I am struggling to explain exactly why. There are the obvious things like:

1. The double ceiling height cabinets and the ladder.

2. Glass front cabinet doors.

3. That big ol beautiful vintage brass billiard fixture.

4. Blue cafe chairs.

5. Stunning window/doors.

6. Her solution to the need for can lights. She does these a lot. I’m not sure what they are exactly. Just that they are a lot more attractive than our cans.katieridder20

Another amazing Katie Ridder Kitchen, with the can solution and a TDF tile floor.

All of those elements are nice, but mostly, I am shocked to say: I am digging the beige.

Maybe it is because I know Katie bosses her way around a color daily, that her choice for beige in her own kitchen feels rebellious and ironic?

Or perhaps it is the shade of beige. I am loving the green tones, it’s an army uniform kind of beige.

I feel like it is winking at me.tumblr_mgu9laCU5k1rjj1tzo1_500

“See things can be granny/hot”.

I am not ready to make peace with all beige yet, or ever, but what do y’all think?

Does this do anything special for you?

Or is it just regular ol’ beige and I am starting to see what everyone else sees in it?

Comments

1. Kathy March 26, 2013 at 10:52 am

I am obsessed with that kitchen! I have always wanted double ceiling cabinets and a ladder and I think the beige makes it all not too much since there is so much detail in the kitchen. It’s gorgeous.

2. Emily March 26, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Hi Bailey – long time reader of your blog and I’m finally joining in on the convo instead of just lurking :)

I think beige gets a bad rap, and this is a great example of how it can be so sophisticated if done right! And lots of marble French bistro chairs can never hurt.

Emily

PS I LOVE your use of GIFs, especially the Queen Bey superbowl one.

3. Jadyn March 26, 2013 at 1:32 pm

This is the kind of beige that I could see being used in a Nancy Meyers movie – to me, it’s classic and reassuring and yes, a little bit sexy. Of course, it has to be used well or it could turn boring very easily. :)

4. kkrs March 26, 2013 at 1:37 pm

What are those light things? I’m kind of wanting to replace all of our cans right now.

The beige is pretty. I like it too. I like your green better, though!

kkrs

5. Abby March 26, 2013 at 5:14 pm

THAT kitchen. I absolutely love it! From the patterned floor to the white cabinetry, just love it all! Thanks for sharing this amazing kitchen!
    xx
    Abby

6. alison g. March 26, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I pinned a similarly-beige kitchen the other day, and had to check myself. It really can be lovely, though. That nuanced putty color – almost an Out of Africa chicness.
    I’ve given up on being married (or divorced) to any one style or aesthetic. They all have something to offer.

Gotta get on that light sourcing. So Clev-AH.
    ag

7. Samma March 26, 2013 at 7:49 pm

That beige is different than the beige that was your house “before” its Baileyification. I adore it, though imagining me on the ladder after a few glasses of wine is rather frightening.

8. Sarah March 26, 2013 at 8:31 pm

It’s beautifully beige!! But please continue to let your color freak flag fly. :)

9. Melissa March 27, 2013 at 9:48 am

That is no ordinary beige. And it’s got enough oomph through other things going on that the color doesn’t need to be everything and in-your-face. The problem with beige, and beige people for that matter, is that it’s often done out of fear and so all the design choices from the beige color to the pieces reflect that. It’s just one big safe BLAH with no oomph, no life! This has life. I like.

10. Lexi @ Glitter, Inc. March 27, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Love the wink and that beige! Way better than granny beige, for sure.

11. Susan March 29, 2013 at 9:33 pm

What is reading beige to you? The cabinets? I am seeing them more as a creamy white…but I’m sure you have a better eye than I do! I think you like it because it isn’t a “true” beige. And, perhaps, you wouldn’t like it as much in person, or after living with it for a while. Sometimes, I find that creamy whites or beiges look okay to me for a day or two, then begin to look dingey and dated.

12. Laura June 8, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Saw this on Pinterest and immediately thought of this post:

They’re by Living Lighting according to her blog, but I can’t seem to find them on their website. :-(