Big Girl!

Grace had a pretty monumental day yesterday. It was her first day of school AND her first night in a big girl bed.Diptic

Top Row: Dropping Grace off at school. Do you die over her DVF for Gap baby wrap dress? Because I do. There were no tears but she was a little nervous. Luckily she had her magic “I-CWEEEMS” backpack, which I think gave her an extra boost of confidence. Once I got her in the classroom she was off!

Middle Row: Grace is doing a phase in schedule, so we picked her up before lunch and chicky was exhausted. Still we took her to our favorite diner for milkshakes and curly fries to celebrate. Then. Then. It was time for our young scholar to graduate to a big girl bed.

Bottom Row: I cannot even begin to tell you how much I have been dreading this transition. Way more than any other big baby change. I just haven’t been able to wrap my head around how she stays safe out of her jail/crib. How does she not get up and wander around and, I don’t know, set something on fire? We had baby proofers come back and bolt every single piece of furniture in the house to the walls. But still the whole thing has been v. stressful for me. When it came time to put her down last night I got in her BigGirlBed with her and we read for a bit, then I created a bunker of pillows around the edge and left to watch her obsessively on the monitor. It didn’t take long for that naughty little head to pop up, but luckily our monitor has a “talk” feature which Grace abides by like THE VOICE OF GOD HIMSELF, and as soon as she heard me tell her to go to bed she popped back down and didn’t move again until 6:30 this morning. No midnight exploring. No house fires. Quite an auspicious start.

AND her big girl room is almost finished!

photo 1

Rug and bed are in, wallpaper and switching out canopy/curtains coming soon!

Comments

1. Jen August 22, 2013 at 9:29 am

So sweet! Go get a big pool noodle and stick it under her fitted mattress protector. It will be her bumper and you don’t have to use those ugly rails :)

2. linda August 22, 2013 at 10:00 am

she is sooooo cute!!!
    -linda,ny

3. Jess August 22, 2013 at 10:17 am

It is a tough transition, and she will fall out of the bed. But don’t feel bad about it, happens to every mom!

4. Anne August 22, 2013 at 10:24 am

Love the room – trying hard not to mourn the passing of the Paule Marrot fabric….

5. smash August 22, 2013 at 10:29 am

Ok her dress is adorable, her room is adorable, and I’m dying over the “voice of God” situation. Brilliant. I can only hope my future children are as God fearing. Congrats on the big steps!

6. karin August 22, 2013 at 10:32 am

love the backpack! Where did you buy it, please?

7. Marlena August 22, 2013 at 10:47 am

Love it! OK, I promise I’m not “that mom,” but the buckle on her car seat should be armpit level. If G-d forbid there was an accident, the restraint needs to be higher versus her belly. http://www.safercar.gov/parents/SecuringChild.htm.

8. Sandra August 22, 2013 at 11:31 am

Her wrap dress is pretty major. Love it!

9. Gaby August 22, 2013 at 12:11 pm

My friend who lives in a big house has one of those stairs fences on her boy’s room for night time so that she can at least sleep with no worries ;)
    Her room looks adorable!

10. Heather August 22, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I must be the crazy one… A. She is precious and no doubt the most gifted babe at school BUT… B. What are you going to do with her to-die-for canopy and window goods?!

11. Marie August 22, 2013 at 12:56 pm

That dress IS amazing. And that whole “Voice of God Himself” line had me giggling a little too loud at the office. Ooops :) And I’m loving the room, too!

12. Christina Douglas August 22, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I’ll be laughing all day over the “voice of god function”. What a big day. Lots of transitions-all us mommas empathize. My 12 year old started junior high this week:)

13. Blythe August 22, 2013 at 1:49 pm

She is too cute! I love the picture of her head popping up.

14. kp August 22, 2013 at 2:36 pm

omg bails this post is cracking me upppppppp!! get it, gracie girl!

15. Carrie August 22, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Brilliant move with the “voice of god” commands! If you’re worried about wandering baby gate her door so she can’t get ahold of anything outside her room.

16. Albertina || Mimosa Lane August 22, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I love the room…Can’t wait to see the finished result. ANd about her not getting out of bed…I have learned that we underestimate them…these kids can do so much more and so much better than what we think originally. Always trust her, she will make you proud :)

17. Suzanne August 23, 2013 at 7:23 am

Love the new room! I dont even think you need to switch out the curtains and the canopy!

18. Jeanette August 23, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I love love love your work!!! I have a peacock themed colors going around my living room and dining room and I would like a pop of color in my chandelier, any suggestions on where I can find a teal one. Similar to the ones do you think Grace’s room and on project Holly’s dining room

19. Liza August 26, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Where did you find that delicious rug?

20. Lianna@theresnoplacelikehomemke.com August 27, 2013 at 7:49 am

that girls room is absolute heaven!

21. amy @ five kinds of happy August 29, 2013 at 11:49 pm

I have just found your blog! This post cracked me up. Especially the talk function on the baby monitor ahahaha so good. Also, that room is amazing!!! I’m off to explore your other posts.
    Amy

22. Miriam September 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Can you kindly point me to a website or tutorial that explains how to sew/make the canopy. We are moving soon and I wanted to create one for my daughters bedroom. Thank you.