Modern in the Mountains

Pete and I are going to visit my family at our place in Colorado next week. We will be celebrating our third wedding anniversary canyabelieveit? We got married at my family house outside of Snowmass, and we are so excited to head back with Grace for the first time in two years.

1028$!400x

Our  log cabin is my happy place, somewhere I hope to spend a lot of time raising my family- and while it is absolute gingerbread perfection, it is teeeensy tiny inside- like 600 sq feet of living space small. Perfect for cozy winter visits, but not so perfect for visiting once our growing family gets any bigger. My mom has had plans to build a guest house for years, and I think with Mr. McBaby on the way she has gotten more motivated and asked me to help with the design. The actual construction will not happening anytime soon, but with the short building season up there you have to start planning pretty far in advance. Which is just fine by me, I could spend years fantasizing about it.

c46e48206affd9b32e84e3869e98a280

If you have been reading here for any length of time you know I am a pretty traditional more-is-more type, and I definitely get it from my Momma. But in talking about the potential plan, my Mom and I have surprised ourselves by leaning towards the modern…green roofs, sleek wood, open glass:

f06f4621038f79cac46b7101ae542083

d948f963278d828f5c4508e726466083

243aaf96c682c1c68dc08390c2df6167

c2e087cdee13458b955938cb2af13cb6

74ca9caaaa748c4e43a6f9362f064af2

3db4eb194131c729b75c7f04ef4c85e2

21c6f5410f93070a522f9c200085bad2

Perhaps because it is a vacation home it is making me want to take a vacation from myself, from my true style? It seems like the perfect opportunity to experiment with a different style that I appreciate completely, but probably could not live with every day.

What do y’all think? Do any of you have vacation homes that are a departure from your usual style? If you could decorate a second spot, would you do it as an extension of your every day home, or bust out with something completely different? What do you think about a modern mountain vibe?

Comments

1. Heather September 10, 2013 at 9:27 am

My parents live in a big California Contemporary, and when they bought a second home in Arizona, they went southwest meets East all the way. They have been having SO much fun going with a look they love but which, as you say, the could not live with every day.

I would love a little weekend house where I could do a lot of like antiqued wax pine and use my grandmother-in-laws quilts. Or a meditteranean style anything.

Can’t wait to see what you do!

2. ohraq September 10, 2013 at 9:37 am

I think this is a great idea! I know a lot of people who live in modern condos/homes and have tradish lakehomes/2nd homes and this is the same but switched! I think a really modern mountain house would be so fun and I can’t wait to see how you design it!

3. Melissa September 10, 2013 at 10:46 am

I don’t have a vacation house (yet) but when I do, it will be a complete departure from our everyday home. When I vacate, I want to vacate everything!! Can’t wait to see what you guys do with this amazing property.

4. Sarah Parsly September 10, 2013 at 10:59 am

I totally understand what you mean. I have a such a specific design aesthetic for my everyday home, but have a deep love and appreciation for so many different styles. I often dream of how i would decorate different vaca homes!! Can’t wait to see what you do!

5. Bessie September 10, 2013 at 11:35 am

We have a small cottage in upstate New York with a modern extension that is very simple and minimalist. It’s not a complete departure from my usual style (which is pretty simple furniture wise but lots of interesting fabrics/wallpapers/paint colours etc) but it’s too minimalistic for me to maintain all the time with 6 kids. Going there is a lovely departure from our daily life and somehow makes us more relaxed with less clutter/more light etc.

6. Mary September 10, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I think one of these pre-fab modern homes would be so amazing in the mountains/countryside http://www.bluhomes.com
    especially the breezehouse floorplan http://www.bluhomes.com/homes/breezehouse

7. Kkrs September 10, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Good idea. I like this departure idea a lot! And it is Sooo Aspen to do the whole log cabin on steroids thing. This is a nice change of pace. I’d go modern, too. Maybe even like that cray spaceship flying saucer house. Egg chair by the fire… Hot cocoa filled with marshmallows… Someone else making dinner in the kitchen. Sounds like Perfection. Can’t wait to see it.
    Hugs!
    Kkrs

8. Jennifer September 10, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Hi Bailey–
    Take a vacay from yourself. You want it to feel different and exciting, right? I am glad you are going to go in the rustic/modern direction. We live (full-time) in the white mountains of AZ, and have had a hard time finding a family home that is not someone’s tacky “cabin” retreat. If I see anymore cheap pine t & g ceilings or faux stone fireplaces I will scream! Love your “everyday” style, but I am sure your CO retreat, while different, will be spectacular too!

9. smash September 10, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I absolutely love the modern mountain vibe. I think having a second home that is markedly different from the first is a great way to experiment with a different style. I personally love staying in hotels that are different from my regular style. xx

10. Carmen Watrin September 10, 2013 at 11:30 pm

I am so incredibly happy for you! :)

11. Lianna@theresnoplacelikehomemke.com September 11, 2013 at 7:55 am

oooo that is going to be so fun. I love the idea of the grass roof – adds so much beauty! good luck!

12. Laura September 11, 2013 at 9:29 am

I agree I think if you have the opportunity to have a place outside your regular home it should be a departure of your style. It is fun to step away from your style and of course any place you spend time in as part time is something you can be more daring and adventurous with!!

Laura
    House Envy

13. Southland Avenue September 12, 2013 at 10:38 am

I completely agree about vacation homes. I think because you do not live in them daily, there is something nice about a beautifully designed vacation home that is not quite your day to day personal decorating style, a little escape from your everyday. Although I do love a “more is more” traditionally designed mountain home!!
    ~Mary Keller