Maternity Musts: Pants

We are truly in the final countdown now. We had our last growth scan on Monday and Mr. McBaby is approximately 7 lbs 12 oz. and the Doctor is predicting he will be over 9 lbs. OUCH! I think I have my six foot tall husband who himself was way over 9 lbs to thank for that. I am attempting a vbac, but I have less than 3 weeks to go into labor on my own before they will make me do another c-section (w00f). Eviction notices have been served, Sir McBaby. My bag is packed, I finished his nursery yesterday, and starting tomorrow I am going to hop on the treadmill and set it to “labor” to try and walk this baby out.

The last few weeks of this pregnancy have been rough, I have easy first trimesters and tough thirds I guess because I have been in constant pain…BUT! I am proud to report that unlike last time when I surrendered to the heat of summer and spent three months in moomoos, this time I have actually managed to get myself properly dressed every day until the end! Which has done wonders for my mental health. And I have to thank a few all-star separates for getting me here.

The MVPs being the bottoms. The J.Crew Minnie was great at the beginning, but did not grow well with me past about 6 months…Then my GAP zipper pants were faves until finally they became too uncomfortably tight on my belly last month. But these three have been real pals from the beginning right on down to the bitter end:

Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 10.05.03 AM

David Lerner Cropped Leggings & David Lerner Zipper Leggings: No matter how you feel about leggings as pants in life, at some point in your pregnancy they will be the only acceptable pant. I have bought every maternity legging out there, Old Navy & Gap- which I usually favor, just don’t have enough substance to their leggings. If you bend over at any point while wearing them, it’s a peep show. These are pricey, but well worth it. They are thick, there is no see-through moment here AND they have a light spanx like quality that makes you feel smoothed and secure. I really like the detail on the zipper leggings, makes things feel more pant-like.

J Brand 34112 Maternity Rail Jeans: I have bought many pairs of maternity jeans, and these are The Ones. They are soft, but tight enough to be flattering, I like that they aren’t the full panel, and they have grown with me until the bitter end. I have bought several JBrand styles, and the rest of them were good at the beginning, but at this point they are all just too tight. These have enough give, and I have an emotional connection to them for sticking with me.

Ok, now all of you need to give me tips on getting this baby out in a neighborly way. Please and Thank You.

Comments

1. Liz Toftness January 10, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I drank a spoonful of Castor Oil (not to be confused with a spoonful of sugar…bleck), with my last baby and she was born 3.5 hours later. She was just shy of 38 weeks gestation. I’m currently due to have another bundle on the 26th…and thisclose to gulping the bottle.

2. Melissa January 10, 2014 at 12:55 pm

A couple friends had luck with acupuncture. Might be worth a try. And sex of course. Because why not? I have also heard foot massages (good excuse for those too) in addition to the old spicy foods, walks, etc. Thinking good, labor-y thoughts for you!

3. megan January 10, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I rocked on one of those exercise balls for the last month of my pregnancy and boy did that get the contractions going!

4. nancy50 January 10, 2014 at 1:28 pm

I’m a retired ob/gyn nurse – we always told patients to have sex – seemed to work! Also, faced with a possible 9 lb baby I think I’d be saying please and thank you to a c-section! Best wishes either way – just keep visualizing holding that sweet baby boy – all is worth it!

5. Brittany January 10, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Filing this away for when I have kiddos! But on a totally unrelated note, did you see the shout out Christine from Bijou and Boheme gave you on the Canadian show Steven & Chirs?? It shows up around minute 5 :)

Brittany

6. Kate January 10, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I wish I had tips for getting bebe out but my water broke with my daughter before she got close to descending! But I have to add a legging to the mix. Yes, totally agree, old navy regular maternity leggings are totally lightweight. But they released a great pant that I’ve been living in for my second pregnancy called the pull on ponte pant and it’s so much thicker than their normal leggings. They’re awesome. And on sale for $19! I’m 6 months along with baby boy and wear these every chance I can.

7. Katie Waddell January 10, 2014 at 2:08 pm

I’d say no to the castor oil unless you want to be on the toilet all day :( walking yes, foot rubs yes, sex YES! I had two boys who were both over 9 lb and had to have cesareans with both of them because of complications. I dream of having a vbac with out next…praying you get to have one this time!!!

8. meredith January 10, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Hooray for Mr. McBaby! Sex! Red Raspberry Leaf Tea! Evening Primrose Oil (you can take it orally or insert it… you know… up yonder. WHOA did I just write that?!) Or, my hands-down, fail-proof method is to get out the trusty ole breast pump and pump on each side for a few minutes a few times a day. It releases oxytocin and triggers your body into going into labor. Thinking of you and yours… what a wonderful time!

9. Carrie January 10, 2014 at 3:31 pm

While I’ve never given birth and don’t intend to anytime soon I do know that there is a pressure point in your heel that can trigger pregnancy (why some prenatal massages avoid the feet). So maybe a good excuse to go get a massage or foot rub! I also know several people who have had good luck with a yoga ball.

10. kkrs January 10, 2014 at 4:43 pm

As my 96 year old nannah would say, “turn off that tele, have an wee bit of wine… I know that they say you shouldn’t imbibe while expecting, but honey at this point, even the baby will appreciate it; and make whoopie to that sinful husband of yours” then she’d follow it up with, “now don’t tell anyone that your nannah gave you such racy advice. A lady has a reputation to uphold… now, lets go stare at that handsome husband of yours and fetch a glass for each of us!”

This may or may not have happened in ‘real life’, and I’m passing it onto you!

*****I do not promote drinking while pregnant… I’m well aware of the ‘dangers of alcohol’ to unborn children. I am also aware that perhaps 96 yr old ladies grew up in a different time… and the occasional cocktail while expecting was quite acceptable back in the old days. (maybe it’s allright to indulge even in 2014.)

Cheers! Here’s to a baby!

xoxo,
    k.

11. Tiffany Bolton January 10, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I second you on the pants thing. This is my first rodeo in the 3rd trimester and the under the belly pants are now my enemy. Long live leggings as pants!

12. Jessica January 10, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I’m also attempting a VBAC with my baby due January 23 :) Looks like we are about on track together. I’ve been doing everything I can to have a successful VBAC. I’ve gone to the chiropractor to help get my body ready, my midwife suggested squats and getting on my hands and knees and rocking back and forth. I’ve also been doing the evening primrose “insertion” mentioned above! I’ve read that also helps guard against tearing. Good luck!!

13. Jessica January 10, 2014 at 8:45 pm

I’m also attempting a VBAC, with my baby due Jan 23rd. Looks like we are about on the same track :) I’ve been doing everything I can to make this VBAC successful. I’ve gone to the chiropractor to help get my body ready. My midwife suggested squats and getting on my hands and knees and rocking back and forth (this gets the baby down into the pelvis). I’ve also been inserting two pills of evening primrose oil twice a day like was mentioned above ;) I’ve also hired a doula to be with me during labor and delivery. They have statistically lower C-section rates, which was the selling point for me :) Good luck!!

14. Kristi Ladd January 10, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Gurrrl. just sign up for the C-section SO MUCH EASIER! especially the 2nd time.

15. Ruth January 10, 2014 at 10:35 pm

We took my brother-in-law’s Morgan over speed bumps…it worked! If it doesn’t I like kkrs’s comment. Can’t wait for McBaby!

16. Shannon January 11, 2014 at 4:21 am

I just had my second successful vbac. Both were amazing experiences, so I hope that yours is successful as well. I drank castor oil both times to go into labor and it worked within hours for both. Email me if you have any questions abut vbac. Good luck!

17. Katherine January 11, 2014 at 9:25 am

I just had my first baby December 3rd, and went on an hour and a half long walk in the rain to get things moving, and the next morning started having contractions! Who knows if it helped since I was a couple days late already, but it certainly didn’t hurt. I also think it is hard for them to predict the weight of the baby so don’t psych yourself out too much – I was 8 lbs and my husband was 10 (now also over 6′!). They told me my baby would be around 8.5lbs and she came out at 7.2. Good luck!!

18. Daisy January 11, 2014 at 11:35 am

I pretty much lived in my Boden leggings as the end of my pregnancy. They were thick but soft….the very best. The night I went into labor I’d bounced a LOT on my giant pilates ball trying to help out my poor hips. I think it helped!

19. kate January 12, 2014 at 11:49 am

drink a shit-ton of water and eat a whole pineapple. then go for a run, take a hot shower, and relax.

OR, if your doc is willing, ask for a membrane sweep. So gross and kinda painful, but if your body is ready, it will naturally induce you by releasing a ton of hormones. I had it done at 39 weeks, worked like a charm for me, I went into labor about 5 hours after having it done, and had baby #2 in my arms by the next morning.

whether you have a v-bac or not, you’re having a baby and thats the only thing that really matters. :)
    best wishes, and can’t wait to hear the news.

20. Ann January 12, 2014 at 6:36 pm

I am in your boat too. 2nd pregnancy, attempting a VBAC. Couple of thoughts: 1) They almost always over-estimate baby’s weight at the end, so I hope baby boy is less than 9lbs 2) Try not to focus on that scheduled c-section drop dead date. Try to relax instead. I was also given a cut-off date with my first and nearly drove myself crazy drying everything under the sun short of castor oil to start labor. My doula eventually just said “Stop” and try to relax. Castor oil causing diarrhea sounds like a rough way to begin a marathon of sorts, so I’m going to skip it, but I understand the feeling of wanting try anything.
    And don’t let anyone talk you into a c-section just because it’s “easier,” or you think you can’t birth a 9lb baby. A VBAC is always safer for mother and baby AND you won’t have the horrid recovery. Good luck, Bailey! I will be thinking of you and saying a prayer for an on-time, easy birth for you :)

21. Kelly January 12, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Great post! Wish I’d had for my pregnancies! I’m actually writing bc on flight home from Chicago and ate at GT Fish and Oyster on way to airport. Chicken and Waffles, Lobster biscuits and gravy, fried pickles…AMAZING!! Thanks for recc in past posts!!!! Best wishes on baby boy!!!

22. alison g. January 13, 2014 at 10:16 am

You know I’m a major natural birth advocate, but in the end, however Mr. McBaby makes his way to our world will be precious and perfect.
    Hugs to you.
    ag

PS – With my last baby, my midwife NEVER “checked” me prior to labor. She said it doesn’t matter where you’re at (3cm, etc) when your body is ready for labor, it’s ready. I think it goes to the mental aspect – if you think, “oh, I’m not even dilated/effaced, I’m not close,” things might delay and/or be tougher. Women’s bodies can go from 1-8 in an hour. True.

23. Hailey January 16, 2014 at 10:48 pm

I took castor oil with my second baby to avoid an induction. It worked a little too well- my labor was a little over an hour long and i ended up having the baby in the hall on the way to labor and delivery.
    Good luck with your little man!
    Oh, and my growth scan was off by over a pound. Don’t worry about his size:)

24. amy January 19, 2014 at 3:41 pm

probably useless as you’re about to get out of the maternity wear (hopefully sooner rather than later!), but i loved isabella oliver maternity wear during my pregnancy. maybe for your next? ;) also, if you’re planning on nursing, boob has great nursing shirts/dresses. you can order online from stockholm objects in hinsdale! i think my cousins know your husband, as i am also from that area and an interior designer! best of luck to you!! :)