Project Holly Before & After: Harper’s Room

Shortly after we started working on Project Holly, my client found out she was pregnant again- this time with a little girl! The house was originally three bedrooms, two bath, but somehow over the years this smaller bedroom got incorporated into the Master as you can see on the left that doorway. We closed the space back off, creating a closet on the master side, and were left with a sweet tiny little room perfect for a nursery.

Houston Real Estate Photographer

I liked the idea of the kids rooms complimenting each other, and really going for it in this small space with a bold wallpaper. Despite being obsessed with this Guermantes print for years and using it as a fabric in Grace’s nursery, I had never seen it in this beige color way and became obsessed. I love the juxtaposition of the beige- which is actually a kind of masculine khaki tone in person, again the bright colorful florals.

biscuithome-047

Because it is such a small room, I wanted to keep it relatively simple with the other elements so we decided to keep almost everything else pink. We had a little loveseat pullout made to accommodate visiting cousins, and brought in an antique pink rug.

biscuithome-051

Natalie’s childhood Jenny Lind rocker got a coat of BM Peppermint Pink, as did the crib and an existing light fixture they had. The vintage rocking chair in yellow was a great find and brings just enough edge to the room.

biscuithome-055

One of my favorite elements is the canopy. I had sourced the yellow block print fabric for another room I was working on and the yellow just wasn’t right. I had it in my bag one day on a site visit, and noticed the colors went perfectly with the wallpaper. The pink, turquoise and yellow were dead on.

NatalieNursery

Altogether the room is so happy and cozy. The canopy was made so that it can move and transition to a twin bed eventually. The closet in this room is surprisingly huge and so we built in a changing table in there to free up the space for a perfect little bookshelf.

HARPER’S ROOM
Sofa: Custom via Biscuit Home | Rug: Vintage | Pom Fringe: Samuel & Sons (Dolce Pom Pom Fringe) | Wallpaper: Brunschwig & Fils (Guermantes) | LightFixture: Vintage | Green Throw: Biscuit Home | Rocking Chair: Vintage 1st Dibs | Pink Crib: jenny lind | Pink Paint Color: BM Peppermint Pink | Crib Sheet: Biscuit Home, Jamie Multi

Photos by Kimberly Chau for Style Me Pretty

Comments

1. mthig March 26, 2014 at 9:37 am

Love this! Can you share the fabric source on the canopy?

2. Erin March 26, 2014 at 9:47 am

Such a beautiful room Bailey. If you don’t mind answering I have a question on how you paint your cribs. I know you stated using BM Peppermint Pink but do you use a special type of BM paint or finish afterwards? Do you have a place in Houston (I live here too) that can paint cribs? I love the look of painted cribs but after my first baby constantly chewed on her crib railing I wonder how to do the finish so it doesn’t chip or my baby doesn’t swallow paint.

3. mb March 26, 2014 at 9:49 am

Love this! Can you share the canopy fabric information?

4. Lily March 26, 2014 at 9:54 am

Holy heaven… It only gets better. I love how the crib echoes the master bedroom with the canopy too!

xo Lily

5. Liz March 26, 2014 at 10:02 am

Beautiful!
    Also, I love the armchair and ottoman with the trim in Houston’s room! Where did you find them?

6. smash March 26, 2014 at 11:16 am

I absolutely love this room, so adorable. Those pom-poms kill me. Perfection.

7. Dee March 26, 2014 at 11:56 am

Wow! What a transformation. I love it.

8. Shari March 26, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Its all just beautiful but that rug! We love pink and I know my girlie would adore that. Please let us know if you spot anything similar!!!

9. kristen March 26, 2014 at 2:40 pm

everything looks great! i’m just curious, the interiors seem SO different than what you started with- did anything have to be done to the exterior?

10. Jen March 26, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Question! I always LOVE the canopy with the crib but don’t babies like to yank on everything?? Have you had one pulled down? I obv don’t have kids or a nursery or I would know how this goes…

11. katerina@lexandliv March 26, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Lovely colours. I do love the campaign rocking chair too.
    Is it just me though? that canopy looming over the crib makes me uncomfortable. I’d be afraid of it falling on the baby, posing a suffocation risk. I’m sure it’s well secured but it just feels more appropriate for an older child, as beautiful as it is with that crib.
    I need to learn how to take a photograph like that!

12. erin @ house envy March 27, 2014 at 5:26 pm

stunning. love that wallpaper! it is soft and bold all at the same time. gorgeous

13. Tara March 28, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I’m with several others that say they LOVE the Canopy. I really think it adds so much to the space! I would really love to hear if you use a custom shop to create it as well as how you all go about hanging it. Thanks so much!

14. Lui Carafelli March 30, 2014 at 4:47 am

I love the room except for the canopy! It’s lovely but not practical or safe over a crib!! Did you know that the dye used in the color yellow is harmful? A new study by Rutgers University found that yellow dyes found in many common household products and items could contain a potentially harmful chemical that may be bad for your health.

That chemical is PCB 11, which is regularly found in yellow dyes in printing inks, paper, paint and clothing,

15. Andrea April 15, 2014 at 4:07 am

Phwoar. That’s a bit spesh!