Project Holly Before & After: Houston’s Room

This weeks before & afters cover the two kids rooms at Project Holly- starting today with their son Houston’s room.

Houston is a month older than Grace, and the sweetest most beautiful little boy ever and it was a blast working on his big boy room.

Houston Real Estate Photographer

The room as seen in the listing photo was a little overcrowded, with one spooky can centered in the ceiling for light.

biscuithome-022

Natalie had seen this Battle of Valmy wallpaper in a little boys room in D Magazine and had to have it. I was happy to oblige.

biscuithome-029

We added red wood tassel trim to Restoration Hardware window panels they already had, and brought in a snappy Jonathan Adler sputnik flush mount. I love embracing a theme in a kids room, but I always aim to make the room seem more like a set than a shrine. Does that make sense?

What I mean by that is I want the room to feel like an kidded up version of an actual Generals room in this case, rather than an assemblage of all things Battle themed. Or using a sports theme, I would want the room to feel like a basketball players room rather than the room of a boy who loves basketball. I think it makes it more fun and empowering for the child to have that agency, and for me it protects a theme from getting too cheesy.

So besides the wallpaper, the rest of the elements we brought in reminded me of something a French General might have in his fancy barracks. The burl wood chest, rug and brass elements all felt gentlemanly and give a nice foil for the sweeter more childlike accents.

biscuithome-033

Natalie found this awesome vintage ship lamp thrifting, and it could not be more perfect. I love when magic happens like that!

biscuithome-038

The wallpaper is is incredible- but the unique coloring proved a little tricky when bringing in other elements into the room. Especially a rug! 531145615521c$!400x

Everything we brought in was either too green or too blue and clashed with the greeny blue in the paper. UNTIL I found this rug on Lulu & Georgia- which of course was backordered.

biscuithome-028

We waited months for it to arrive, and when it did it really…tied the room together.

HOUSTON’S ROOM
Wallpaper: Brunschwig & Fils (Battle of Valmy 1792) | Light Fixture: Jonathan Adler via Biscuit Home (Jonathan Adler Sputnik) | Chest: Well Appointed House (Burl Wood Chest) | Trim: Samuel & Sons | Rug:Lulu & Georgia | Headboard: Custom via Biscuit Home | Bedding: Biscuit Home – Jamie Blue duvet,Jamie Blue ShamCornflower Blue Sham | Throw Blanket: Biscuit Home | Lamp: Vintage

Photos by Kimberly Chau for Style Me Pretty

Comments

1. Sheri March 23, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Love the room! Where did you find the rocking horse?

2. Amanda March 23, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Hi Bailey – Where did you find the George Washington pillow? Great room

3. Brandyn | Southern Distinctions March 23, 2014 at 2:35 pm

This room has become a personal favorite! A great example of a boys room that has room to grow. “Wanting it to feel more like a set than a shrine” is a fantastic and intelligent approach to a kids room.

4. Lynette March 23, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Bailey – what a perfect boy’s room! Straight to my inspiration files. You are one talented lady!

5. Chrissy March 24, 2014 at 10:23 am

Love this! The colors are amazing!! (as usual!!)

6. designstiles March 24, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I love this so much. Kid appropriate but totally sophisticated. I adore your style to pieces.

7. Cait March 24, 2014 at 12:57 pm

This is such an inspired boy’s room! Everything is perfection, down to the details!

May I ask, where did you find the armchair? That trim is so lovely!

xo,
    Cait

8. Sarah March 24, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Love what you talked about in having a set > shrine. My all time fav is your lick-able chocolate lacquer bar, but this gem is a close second! LOVE.

9. kkrs March 24, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Bailey,

Love it. The entire time I was reading this post, I had that old grammar school song in my head; “when johnny comes marching home again, hurrah!” I especially love that lamp and the federal convex mirror.

You are right with that wallpaper having such a great but funny green… I have never used it, but I have played with it a few times, and it’s almost like a pantone/microsoft color. You did a great job with it, per usual. Talented lady, yes you are!

Hugs,
    KKRS

10. my favorite and my best- MFAMB to you March 25, 2014 at 8:56 am

i love this one so much. it’s got a nod to the past but looks super modern.

11. Jennifer March 25, 2014 at 11:54 am

This is absolutely precious. I only wish my little tornado of a toddler could keep such a sweet room so pristine!

12. Lily March 25, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Brilliant job — I totally get the thing about the rug, but I think that one is PERFECT! Stunning… loving watching this makeover happen.

xo Lily

13. Amanda March 29, 2014 at 7:29 pm

nice Big Lebowski reference.