Project Holly Before & After: Kids Bath

I have done a brief post on this room before, but I LOVE what we were able to accomplish in here for very little dollars.

Houston Real Estate Photographer

This is their hall bathroom that is shared by their son and daughter. When we first toured the house, this bathroom understandably was one of their concerns. Gutting it wasn’t in the budget, and they didn’t initially see how it could work. But we all did kind of appreciate the original pink tile that was still in great condition. We wanted to keep it, but get rid of the granny and make it a bit more boy friendly.

biscuithome-045

Inspired by The Beverly Hills Hotel, we ripped out the wallpaper and painted 5 inch wide green stripes throughout the room, and brought in their famous Martinique wallpaper as a roman shade.

biscuithome-042

There was still the issue of the gold dainty rose band of accent tile. No matter how you looked at it, it was outdated and not in a charming way. We tried to see if we could somehow remove just that band of tile and replace it? Nothing was working, until I frustratedly suggested to the contractor we should just “UGH! Paint it black, and he was like “OK!” And it worked! Easy as that. Bless him. He used some special paint and regrouted and it’s the perfect solution.

biscuithome-043

We took out the giant wall o’ mirror, added sconces, new hardware, and some pretty accessories and it is a whole new room, for the cost of paint and accessories! And the pink tile lives to serve another generation. Snaps.

HALL BATH
Paint Color: Benjamin Moore Bunker Hill | Curtain Fabric: Designer Wallcoverings, The Original Martinique 90210 – Beverly Hills Fabric | Sconces: Circa Lighting (Ginger Single Arm Sconce) | Ceiling fixture: Ballard Designs, Coral 3 Light Chandelier

Photos by Kimberly Chau for Style Me Pretty

Comments

1. Jillian March 19, 2014 at 7:22 am

I really admire this because it’s great to see what you did without gutting or completely overhauling a space. I’m ALWAYS on a limited budget, so I enjoyed seeing you rework this room without major contracting or money. Nice work, Bailey!

2. Lianna@theresnoplacelikehomemke March 19, 2014 at 7:51 am

love the stripes! so fun and appropriate for a son and daughter! Great job on a budget!

3. Melissa March 19, 2014 at 8:38 am

What a transformation – just love every bit of this house

4. Blair @ The Perennial Style March 19, 2014 at 9:22 am

I’m just in awe of this entire home remodel! I can’t wait to bring you to Dallas someday to fix up my house!

5. Jen @ RamblingRenovators March 19, 2014 at 9:25 am

So glad you found a way to work with the pink tile. Most people would have gutted it

6. sarah March 19, 2014 at 9:31 am

Bailey, can you share the type of paint used for the tile? stuck in a similar predicament! Thanks.

7. katerina@lexandliv March 19, 2014 at 9:33 am

am i alone in sort of LOVING the pink tile?

8. meagan elizabeth March 19, 2014 at 10:12 am

I love this colour combo! So much so that I used it as my wedding colours way back when.
    Great work, Bailey!

9. smash March 19, 2014 at 11:21 am

This is such a good example of finding the positive in a space. I LOVE how you paired it with green and white and painting the tile was such a genius option. The whole space looks delightful!

10. kathy March 19, 2014 at 11:41 am

I love vintage bath tile. I can be at a cocktail party and overhear someone moaning about what to do with pink or green or yellow vintage tile baths, “You don’t know how lucky you are…I’ll show you!” (rudely interrupting) Yours is perfection. Thank you for sharing it…k

11. Lindsey Suggs March 19, 2014 at 11:58 am

Fabulous transformation!! Thank you for sharing a challenging space with us and showing us how you can make granny chic really chic!

12. martha March 19, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Bailey, you are mad-genious!!! I am in love with this happy space! Now I’m dying for a house with fabulous vintage tile!

13. Angela March 19, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I love everything you do. This is fantastic. Can you tell us where you got the mirror?

14. Ellen March 20, 2014 at 4:37 pm

A pretty and inventive solution! I don’t know what the front door situation at Holly House, but when I saw this pretty door knocker, I thought of the sweet story behind the entry way. And it’s on sale! http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/cast-brass-butterfly-door-knocker

15. Lily March 21, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Honestly, with that pink tile… this is one of the most genius redesigns I’ve ever seen. Seriously inspired. Nice, nice nice work.

xo Lily

16. Ruth March 22, 2014 at 6:41 am

You had me at PINK TILE!

17. April March 31, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Just saw something similar on Tori Spelling’s website. Her “niece” had her bedroom redone into something very like this. Same fabric even, I think! http://torispelling.com/2014/03/behind-the-design-simones-new-room/

18. Melanie April 9, 2014 at 6:14 am

I breathed a huge sigh of relief to see that the vintage pink bathroom was preserved! You and the owners deserve one of these! :