Project Holly Before & After: Living Room Part 1

Continuing the before & afters from our Project Holly, here is Part 1 of the living room.

The changes we made in the living/kitchen areas at Project Holly absolutely transformed the house. I am going to start  by talking about the living room- where actually we created two separate seating areas.

Before, when our clients toured the house, this was the setup in the living room. There was an oddly placed wall that they used as the focal point with the TV. Behind it was their breakfast table, and in those two closets at the back, the laundry and some storage.

Houston Real Estate Photographer

We removed that separating wall, which was load bearing, so we shifted the support into two display cabinets on either side of a wider entry.

Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 5.46.52 PM

We moved the windows by the breakfast nook and centered two french doors leading out to the backyard. In the living room we switched the TV to be in the built ins, creating a nice line of site from the kitchen/breakfast nook into the living room. We removed the paneling, faux beams, and refinished the floors.

photo 1

photo 2

And ta-da!!! So as you can see there is a whole other (fetching) seating area towards the fireplace that has yet to be “revealed”. We are still waiting on the mantel to be installed…then art and lamps. These things take time. But you can see how transformed the space is.

And if you can’t…

Houston Real Estate Photographer

This is now this…

biscuithome-001

It is legitimately my favorite transformation I have done. I think it is so lush but still casual enough to be comfortable. The layers of texture and detail totally draw me in.

biscuithome-015

I am so obsessed with the wallpaper backing the built-ins. These clients were so enthusiastic and trusting of me- one of the only items they were reluctant to implement was this wallpaper, and I fought them on it, and in the end it is the element that is most pleasing to all of us.

biscuithome-009

One of the items that we started with in the room was the sectional. My client loved our green sofa, so I drew up a version of it as a sectional with a cushion base to be more practical for kids (no crumbs falling down into a tufted seat cushion).

biscuithome-010

We found the gorgeous burl wood coffee table on 1stDibs, the best part is the giant drawer that pulls out to reveal their toddler sons impressive dinosaur collection.

biscuithome-005

The final layers include some feisty pattern play pillows, red lacquer side tables, light blue gourd lamps, and simple white curtains with blue and red tassel trim.

I just could not be more pleased with how it came together. I can’t wait to show y’all the other half once the mantel gets installed! Let me know if y’all have any questions…I will do my best to answer.

LIVING ROOM
Sectional: Custom Biscuit Home | Sectional Fabric: Lee Jofa (Bragance II) | Floral Pillow- Ralph Lauren (Ladie’s Day Floral, Spectator) | Leopard Pillow: Scalamandre (Leopardo) | Blanket: Hermes Avalon Blanket | Coffee Table: Vintage, 1st Dibs | Side Tables: Oomph, Edgartown Side Table  | Lamps: Robert Abbey Double Gourd via Biscuit Home | Wallpaper on Bookshelves: Brunschwig & Fils, Bibliotheque Multicolor  | Sconces above bookshelves: Circa Lighting, Dean Picture Light | Wall Color: BM Polar Ice | Curtain Trim: Samuel & Sons (Chambord Tri-tassel fringe) | Blue Floral Chair: Vintage Recovered | Blue Floral Chair Fabric: Lee Jofa, Grenville Glazed Chintz Blue

After photos by Kimberly Chau for Style Me Pretty.

Comments

1. jodi March 11, 2014 at 6:46 am

pretty! can you source the rug? thank you!

2. Molly {Dreams in HD} March 11, 2014 at 7:33 am

that couch is STUNNER!

3. Stephanie March 11, 2014 at 7:52 am

ok seriously, I love everything you do and up until now my fav was either your new kitchen or entry, but this living room is a show stopper. (((((clap clap clap clap)))))

Surrounded by Pretty

4. Nickie March 11, 2014 at 9:08 am

Bailey, I don’t consider myself a “color” person when it comes to interiors, but your work really is beautiful and I enjoy seeing what you do. Thanks for taking the time to share all of your projects. Can’t wait to see the next one!

5. Lily March 11, 2014 at 9:17 am

Oh my god.. the couch, the chair — the bookshelf wallpaper! The coffee table… EVERYTHING! This is a whole new level!!

xo Lily

6. Nancy March 11, 2014 at 10:21 am

WHOA! That’s simply amazing. I love every single thing you did. Especially loving that wallpaper. It’s all so gorgeous but comfortable and collected looking. Awesome work!

7. Susan March 11, 2014 at 10:23 am

More, more, more! Just love it.

8. Kate S. March 11, 2014 at 10:46 am

Gorgeous! Love it all.

9. Ellie March 11, 2014 at 11:03 am

I love it and all the character and texture! Where is the rug from? It looks like a very large sisal? Is that custom?

10. jackie March 11, 2014 at 11:51 am

looooove how this turned out. and absolutely obsessed with that gorgeous couch.

11. Bekah March 11, 2014 at 11:56 am

It is simply amazing to see how your talent and design acumen continue to develop! Keep going, friend…it seems the best is still ahead!!!

12. Dana McDowell March 11, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Can’t wait to see the other side of it!!

13. kkrs March 11, 2014 at 2:31 pm

M.A.G.I.C.

XOXO,
    KKRS

14. Emily March 11, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Oh Bailey, I ADORE this! So so soooo well done. Beautiful, but accessible. Glamorous, but yet still casual enough that it doesn’t feel precious. The size of the room reminds me of my grandparents gargantuan formal living room in their house that I spent so much time in as a kid. Love the multiple seating areas, and the color scheme. You are so talented, lady.

15. diane March 12, 2014 at 8:13 am

I love that wallpaper, see thru cabinetry and the luscious green sectional. I am just questioning the choice of that light blue floral patterned chair with the white painted frame….it seems out of place and too light for the space so was curious as to the thinking behind it. But it is a beautiful room!

16. Liz March 12, 2014 at 3:45 pm

This is glorious. Seriously, everything about this house is so lovely I want to move in.

17. cara March 13, 2014 at 6:35 am

As always, it looks amazing! Bravo!

Moms Who Shake

18. katerina@lexandliv March 13, 2014 at 8:12 am

Perfection! I’m so glad you didn’t go the open plan route and instead decided to create distinct spaces. And THANK YOU for including a floor plan. Very few designers include them but I can’t understand a space without it!

19. Dara March 14, 2014 at 10:51 am

loving it soooo much! thank you for sharing so many details! wondering what your thoughts were in removing the ceiling beams? just curious!

20. SarahRose March 16, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I am a fan of lining bookcases with wallpaper. My apartment is a collection of thrift store and craig’s list finds, and I used a black and white feather scrapbook paper to integrate two bookcases together. Love the blend of traditional with a fresh twist!

21. My Notting Hill March 20, 2014 at 11:42 am

I don’t know what rock I’ve been living under to have just come across your blog. Fabulous! Your use of color is so fresh and all the details lovely. True classic design. Can’t wait to see more of your work. Michele

22. Gwen, The Makerista March 22, 2014 at 10:35 am

This is beyond beautiful! The sofa is just gorgeous and the mix of pillows is my favorite!

23. Christine March 27, 2014 at 1:42 pm

SIMPLY AMAZING!!!!! You are SO SO talented and have a huge gift!! Wow!! I love it!!!!

24. Mary Pattillo March 29, 2014 at 10:36 am

I LOVE the pillows in the Ralph Lauren floral. Can I order two from you?
    Thanks, Mary
    Your room is absolutely perfect. Love love love it.

25. Katy November 12, 2014 at 10:33 pm

That is the most lovely couch I have ever seen.