Before & After: Harry’s Nursery

Y’all, Harry is four months old.

5N2A7643

Looks just like his Daddy. So handsome, my HarrBear Magoo.

And I still haven’t shown the “after” on his nursery- but luckily Molly was in town this past weekend and generously lent her skills so I can finally show all of you good people what we have going on in there.

5N2A7661

5N2A7675

5N2A7663

5N2A7671

5N2A7703

5N2A7726

5N2A7708

5N2A7713

5N2A7723

5N2A7678

So what to say about Harry’s nursery? I love it so so much. I have had my baby boys room in my head since we first found out we were pregnant with Grace and were convinced she was a boy. This post was over three years ago, that’s a long time to hold on to a decorating vision when you are surrounded by this stuff day in day out. The wallpaper on the ceiling has always been the glue of the concept- and was the reason why we named our constellation print at Biscuit the “Harold”.

I did a version of this room at our house in Austin, and still wanted to give it another go here. Because we already had so many of the big elements in place- the wall color, ceiling wallpaper, ceiling fixture and rug it didn’t take a lot to bring the room together. The plan changed from my first dream of it years ago, but came together surprisingly easily.  Except for the daybed- ugh the daybed. Dumb pregnant me forgot to measure to see if it would fit through the door, which it then did not, and highly emotional pregnant me was more than displeased.

But! It ended up being a happy accident, the old daybed lives at Biscuit now in our “children’s” section, and the Restoration Hardware piece we ended up choosing actually lightens up the space in a way I think we would have been missing with my original design.

What else do we have going on here? The crib is RHBaby- I reupholstered the side panels- and I SUPERHATE this crib. The highest setting is way too low and the side rails are way too high and it has been clumsy at best getting him in and out all the time, especially after my c-section. Thanks a lot, RH!

The bookcases on either side are these, and are bolted to the wall, dontcha worry. We have some fun treasures on them, but I have to say all of the precious nursery styling takes a hit on baby number 2. Harry has our Marfa crib sheet, and bedding on his bed, paired with a serape and some throw pillows.

I wanted to have an area for Grace to play in here, and she loves “her” teepee and Big Bear. The rug is vintage and was in our living room in Chicago and family room in Austin, the glider is one from the pair we had in Grace’s nursery recovered in a Scalamandre fabric. The pouf, lamp, and changing table are all reused from Grace’s nursery as well, and the antique shelves over the changing table were in our other guest room, I just repainted the back panel.

I really love and am proud of how all of the different textiles and recycled elements came together, it is such a happy little boy room that will grow with our guy.

I hope you like, and let me know if I can answer any questions!

**UPDATE**

I just got a very nice and sincere email from a concerned reader suggesting we remove the Warhol Custer print, another comment on here politely referenced the issue as well so I thought I should address it.

The reason we chose the print is because of our favorite quote from Royal Tenenbaums: “Everyone knows that General Custer died at The Battle of Little Bighorn, what this book pre-supposes is…Maybe he didn’t”? It is one of Pete’s and my silly couple things, and Pete gave me the print as a baby present after seeing my design for the room. That said, I know art can be divisive and while I don’t always think that is a bad thing- I don’t want anyone to be hurt or offended thinking we are glorifying such a controversial historical figure. I think context is important, and in this case I should have realized not everyone would be familiar with this particular piece of art.

“Warhol interspersed recognizable portraits of well-known American “heroes”–John Wayne, Annie Oakley, Teddy Roosevelt, and General George Custer–with less familiar Native American images and motifs in his ironic commentary on Americans’ collective mythologizing of the historic West. Rather than portraying Native Americans within their historical landscape or Cowboys in their veritable forms, Warhol chose to portray a popular, romanticized version of the American West. The West that he chose to represent is familiar to everyone and can be seen in novels, films, TV series. Warhol’s Cowboys and Indians Suite is an ahistorical representation that mirrors a popular interpretation of the American West.
Andy Warhol created the Cowboys and Indians series during the mid-1980s, arguably his most prolific period. During this time, Warhol was forming bonds with a number of younger artists in the New York art scene including Jean-Michel Basquiat, Julian Schnabel and David Salle. Warhol saw a re-emergence of critical and financial success during this period of his life.” -via

If you still don’t think we should have the piece in there, that is ok. It’s not for everyone. But please know I’m not being willfully ignorant or coming from a bad place.

All photos by MBM for Peppermint Bliss

Comments

1. Catherine June 5, 2014 at 6:09 am

I superLOVE this space! Nicely done.

Thank you for being honest about the crib–that was refreshing. :) Who’s the artist / where’s the art from?

2. Amy L. June 5, 2014 at 6:58 am

Wow! You have done it again. Love those curtains! What fabric is that?

3. Mallory June 5, 2014 at 7:27 am

So So good! Of course, you continue to print mix like none other. What an amazing space. xo

4. Angeline June 5, 2014 at 7:36 am

Your Harry is so precious! Love the nursery – the colors are amazing (the drapes and the fabric mix on the chesterfield are my favorite bits – also the shelves where you have everyday necessities items out – and those boots – and the art – I like it all, Bailey! :)!) Sending happy vibes to you and your beautiful fam. Thanks for sharing your work and family with us!

5. Lindsey Suggs June 5, 2014 at 8:48 am

Harry is adorable!! I love how cool that piece of artwork looks in his room. It’s so unexpected and badass for a baby’s room! The mix of your bedding with the serapes is perfection too. Such a cool blend of tradition and fun funk, as always!

6. Peggi June 5, 2014 at 8:55 am

The room is wonderful; I do enjoy a delightful Bailey mix. By far the best part is that scrumptious boy! Serious face is killing me. Nice work all around.

7. Andrea June 5, 2014 at 9:05 am

LOVE the nursery! It might be my favorite room you’ve ever done!! Where did you find the art above the day bed? It is PERFECT!

8. april June 5, 2014 at 9:16 am

Well done, lady! This may be the best nursery-that-can-transition I’ve ever seen. And even though Custer was an awful human being, that print is beautiful! And your little man is lovely, lovely, lovely.

9. E E Faris June 5, 2014 at 9:21 am

This isn’t just a beautiful room, it is a magical room.

10. Nickie June 5, 2014 at 9:23 am

You have crazy sick taste!!! That is an amazing room. Well
    done B!!!

11. alison g. June 5, 2014 at 10:06 am

Perfection.

12. Samantha June 5, 2014 at 10:26 am

You two make some adorable babies…and you are incredibly talented in the design realm! Love the nursery, and I’m in love with the teepee!

13. Lily June 5, 2014 at 10:32 am

WOW! I can see why you held onto this vision for so long — it is fantastic! and Harry — perfection!!!

x Lily

14. Anna June 5, 2014 at 11:14 am

This looks so fabulous!!!!

Who did the fabulous piece of art above the daybed?

15. Erin June 5, 2014 at 11:26 am

It’s beautiful! I’d love to know where your teepee came from!

16. Britney June 5, 2014 at 11:34 am

Harry’s nursery is amazing! Loooove! What is the paint color?

17. Allison June 5, 2014 at 11:36 am

Love this room! Just beautiful as usual. Where did you find the dorothy draper chest??? Need!

18. ERB June 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm

This is so awesome!! And he is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen!

19. Sara June 5, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Love this. Don’t know if you saw today’s Houston Chronicle, Star section, about your mural artist and his newest project? The article mentions Biscuit Home’s mural being vandalized.

20. kkrs June 5, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Beautiful. All of it. Especially that little boy! Love the S&S wood trim on your curtain panels. The perfect “manly” detail. I am feeling validated today, as I hate the RH baby crib for the exact same reasons! Live and learn. I was so happy to see a post from you today. I love your blog, and have kind of missed the regular posting. However, I get it… you are the busiest woman with a toddler, a baby, 2 puppies, a husband, a design business and a retail store. How you do it, I don’t know, wonderwoman. Have a great rest of your week and weekend.
    Xo,
    KKRS

21. Lynn June 5, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Lovely! I also have an RH crib and found the same problem. We got an extra inexpensive mattress to use as a box spring over the frame. I just out there bedskirt over it. It’s been fine but will remove it now that he can sit up on his own!

22. Liz June 5, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Amazeballs. I also have a 4 m. old baby boy and if he sees this he’ll be jelly. ;)

23. Elisa June 5, 2014 at 5:40 pm

The room is perfect! I love that you did the stars again, it’s such a good look. And how great are those draperies. He’s one lucky boy!

24. Lindsey A. June 5, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Bananas! This is the cutest boys room I’ve ever seen! Nice work! I have a Resto crib too and love it- maybe it’s just that model that high sides. I have the iron one and haven’t had any problems. I also love the wood tassle trim on the curtains. Is it Samuel & Sons?

25. Sally Leonard June 6, 2014 at 8:05 am

Hey Bailey!! So fun to see another pic of adorable Harry! Love his nursery and had to write to say the Andy Warhol of Custer is fabulous! I’m pretty sensitive to controversial images but not once did a negative thought come to mind!! It’s beautiful, love , love the colors plus we must remember, Custer was a man of his time…not today’s time. Anyhow… LOVE the room but especially Harry!!!

26. Christine June 6, 2014 at 11:04 am

I love this room! What a lucky (and adorable!) little baby boy Harry is to get to call this room his own. The way you mix prints/furniture/styles, etc. is amazing!

27. Christine June 6, 2014 at 11:05 am

This room is amazing. What a lucky(and not to mention adorable) baby boy Harry is to get to call this room his own! You are a master at mixing prints and styles!

28. Kim June 6, 2014 at 11:30 am

Sweet, beautiful baby!

29. Pamela Munger June 6, 2014 at 4:42 pm

sweet, precious and practical nursery….well done, love the artwork and the couch.

30. lola montez June 6, 2014 at 7:07 pm

i think the black deer over the crib is way scarier than the andy warhol print?

31. lola montez June 6, 2014 at 7:08 pm

how about the black deer over the crib–seems way scarier than the warhol print?

32. Heiða June 6, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Harry is adorable! Love everything! Like always, just perfect!Have a great weekend with your lovely family.

33. Elz June 6, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I love the print. It’s one of my favorite parts of the room. Art truly is in the eye of the beholder!

34. Christie June 6, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Bailey it’s wonderful! You are so talented to get all of those elements to fit together perfectly. I love the teepee and bear too. And good to know about the crib! Thanks for sharing your real opinion.

xoxo,
    Christie

35. Julie June 7, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Seriously, this room is awesome. Loooooove!

36. Katie June 8, 2014 at 2:40 pm

There seems to not be a whole lot of thought around what babies stick in their mouths (hello, wood beads on drapes) pull and climb on (scary deer over bed) and shelves loaded with stuff on either side of the crib that he can try to crawl into.

37. Elisa June 8, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Bailey – your response to Katie made me laugh out loud. Your baby is adorable and the room is really cool. I love the print and love it even more knowing there is a story behind it.

38. Liz June 9, 2014 at 12:19 pm

This is so great! Where’s the changing pad cover from?

39. Dee June 9, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Would have expected nothing less than this design perfection from you — simultaneously classic, vibrant, eclectic and totally charming. Love how all of the elements combine in here!

Can you tellingly tell ethe source of the chandelier? Would love to find that.

Ciao,
    Dee

40. christine June 9, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Bailey,
    I am laughing so hard at your response to Katie. I didn’t see yours at first and was thinking the same thing. Not sure if Katie has a child or not, but my kids spent hardly any time in their nursery and surely not long enough to hang from wooden beads and my 2 year old still couldn’t reach that deer head. Some people are so ignorant and looking for something to complain about. Good grief! Love the room. You are so talented!

41. smash June 9, 2014 at 5:40 pm

I LOVE seeing this!! I feel like we have been watching this room come together for years…from all the old inspiration, to the version you had in the last house…to now. I think you absolutely killed it and I love how you brought the red in. Plus, I love a good Warhol. Art is art and it’s not for everyone. xx

42. Victoria | the Maypop June 12, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Lol at your response to Katie. Thank you! As a mom of two boys with another on the way, I loved everything about this nursery…especially the Custer print and wooden beaded trim. So inspiring.

43. Evita June 16, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I really adore this room! I’m not sure if I missed it , but would you mind sharing the info about the chair fabric, please?

Thanks!

44. Lauren June 16, 2014 at 11:59 pm

I’m not really sure why it’s not any more, but The Royal Tenenbaums was my favorite movie for at least five years. So to say I appreciate that your husband chose art for your son’s nursery based on a TRT quote might be an understatement. With that said, if you ever decide that Colonel Custer is, in fact, too controversial, you have a perfectly good alternative…. http://www.ikono.org/2013/07/art-talk-miguel-calderon-the-royal-tenenbaums-artist/